Wyoming 2020 deadline

Im not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but I disagree. I don’t like the draw result date, but I’ll take the 16% tag allotment away gives us. Far worse States than Wy for non residents.

“Oh yeah all that wilderness? Hire a guide that’ll wear cowboy boots and toot on a Primos Terminator.”

I can only guess that most people that feel states giving perks to resident sportsman is “wrong” choose to live in a state without a lot of NR sportsman or have never sacrificed income, family proximity, etc to live in a state for its better outdoors opportunities. A state has every right to incentivize sportsman to live there. If it is an issue, I’d recommend folks move or find a way to make their state better.

WyoElk

WKR
Yea Wyoming sucks; I can only kill 3 Elk, 6 Deer, and 6 Antelope a year.

I agree, it’s terrible. Maybe those that are not happy should quit giving WGFD your money.

This new version of the plan isn’t so far off from what CO was doing just a couple years ago. April deadlines with June/July refunds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrs4x4

FNG
My beef is that the outfitters lobbied hard enough to keep the application date the same. How is that even acceptable. All hunts are backordered, we’ll take your money now and in 4 months we will refund you when we’ve runout of tags.

JM77

FNG
No other state treats NR’s like a second class citizen like Wyoming.

“Here let me keep your $1100 for 5 months just in case you might use your 3 points to draw a general tag.” Lol.

This comment is why some residents say "if you don't like it, go somewhere else." And I'm not sure where the 5 months is coming from, if you apply the end of January, it should be about 3 1/2 to middle of May.

KurtR

WKR
My beef is that the outfitters lobbied hard enough to keep the application date the same. How is that even acceptable. All hunts are backordered, we’ll take your money now and in 4 months we will refund you when we’ve runout of tags.

money talks. It’s how it works every where in the world. You find a way to have more money you will have more influence and can lobby and get it changed. Just think of it as a savings account you cant blow that money while they have it. Gotta make lemonade sometimes

I hear the elk hunting is better in Kansas...

It’s not. The deer hunting however is excellent, as is the upland bird and turkey hunting, and the state does what they can to attract out of staters to come to pursue them all. I have friends that live in MO and they still hunt Kansas while ignoring the same species in their own state. I’ve seen some incompetence in my state’s KDWP so it’s pretty surprising this group of knuckleheads has achieved this result. Makes it all the more surprising and disappointing about Wyoming.

This comment is why some residents say "if you don't like it, go somewhere else." And I'm not sure where the 5 months is coming from, if you apply the end of January, it should be about 3 1/2 to middle of May.

And we will. I’ve decided to change my application strategy this year based on the change. I was planning on burning points on a so-so unit and swinging away in three other states with odds of drawing any of those three in the single digits. But now I’ll apply for three units better than my WY choice with odds of drawing one in the 20/30% range and if I draw I’ll withdraw from WY.

The change impacts me little, but I can afford to absorb the impact. Many other people can’t, people I know. Hunting should not be for the rich to exploit. It’s immoral. I’ve made assertions like this before and surprisingly some people here feel differently. I can only imagine what kind of selfishness and jealousy leads to attitudes like this.

Also funny, instead of challenging me with ideas like “despite bla bla bla NR’s still do well in WY” I get snide responses and told to go elsewhere. It’s just weird and only perpetuates the belief that WY is out to intentionally screw the NR.

KurtR

WKR
And we will. I’ve decided to change my application strategy this year based on the change. I was planning on burning points on a so-so unit and swinging away in three other states with odds of drawing any of those three in the single digits. But now I’ll apply for three units better than my WY choice with odds of drawing one in the 20/30% range and if I draw I’ll withdraw from WY.

The change impacts me little, but I can afford to absorb the impact. Many other people can’t, people I know. Hunting should not be for the rich to exploit. It’s immoral. I’ve made assertions like this before and surprisingly some people here feel differently. I can only imagine what kind of selfishness and jealousy leads to attitudes like this.

So they raised the cost of the tag i thought it was just changing the draw dates? where is the price in crease at and how much I missed that part?

BuzzH

WKR

Good for you.

Hunting as a NR in any state is a privilege, not a right, and anyone that makes it a priority can hunt in multiple states as a NR.

We aren't talking life changing money to hunt out of state, I do it every year. The difference between how you look at it and I look at it are much different. I'm grateful for the opportunities that states give to me as a NR to even be able to apply. No state is required to give NR's a single tag for any species, and in fact, existing law allows them to discriminate against NR hunters any way they choose. So rather than whine, cry and rail away about jealousy and selfishness, I thank the residents of the states that I hunt as a NR for any opportunity they give me.

I play by their rules, buy hunting/fishing licenses that are a requirement for applying, front tag fees when its required, and am thankful for the opportunity they give me. In short, I'm a guest hunter in their state and I'll be the best guest I can be.

What I don't do is run down and bad mouth the way they choose to give me that opportunity. As such I would fully expect, and hope, that the residents of a state I would bad mouth would show me the door and tell me to either stay home or hunt elsewhere.

A perfect example would be the desert sheep I applied for and drew in Arizona. I don't feel at all like I was owed the tag, I feel very very appreciative that I drew and got the chance to hunt sheep there. As a Resident of that State, with such a limited resource as desert sheep, I'm left wondering why Arizona Residents even allow some guy from Wyoming to even be allowed to apply for desert sheep there.

If the price I have to pay is being out the application fees, required hunting license to apply and build points, and the higher priced tag...I take that deal all day long and simply say "thank you" to the Residents of Arizona.

You seem to be someone that feels they are owed something...I'll be the first to let you know, you aren't owed anything.

If you think Wyoming is giving you the short end of the stick by allowing you, as a NR guest hunter, a shot at 7,250 full price elk tags...then hunt elsewhere. You wont be missed and maybe whoever takes your place wont be such an ingrate.

Thomas11

WKR
So they raised the cost of the tag i thought it was just changing the draw dates? where is the price in crease at and how much I missed that part?
He’s saying ppl can’t afford to pay the tag fee for that long and float the money and still apply other places, so they will cut WY outta their app strategy. Look, I’m very familiar w all the reasons that this happened etc. and I certainly understand moving the draw to a later date due to Quotos etc being set. I think what has obviously pissed ppl off is the WOGA being allowed to keep the deadline for NR Jan 31. It’s beyond ridiculous and there is no arguemnent that can be made logically for keeping it at JAn 31 other than pure greed on WOGA behalf and the state allowing them to do so. If ppl want to hire a guide then they will and attempting to make them apply before other states and keeping their money for 4 months in order to lock their clients in is forcing ppl into something. It’s no different than the wilderness law. No other state in the west has a law like this or this new 4 month wait. Ppl don’t want to be forced into things. If I want to hire a guide then I will and others will if they want. But the WOGA has this belief they can alter the rules or have laws etc that forces us into hiring a guide and that’s the part ppl hate. Let us choose not manipulate the rules into forcing our hand.

BuzzH

WKR
News flash, if you GAVE tags away to NR's many still couldn't afford to hunt as a NR.

Also, IMO, the guys that are applying now have no idea how easy it is. When I first started applying seriously as a NR about 20 years ago, nearly EVERY state I applied in, you had to front the money. It was also mostly done via mail, so to ensure your application got there, the savvy applicants didn't wait until the last minute. Further, the money was returned via a state issued check. Many times that involved 4 months or longer.

Not to mention, that at the peak of application time, if you were applying aggressively, having $5-$6K per hunter floating n fronted tag fees was a given.

While its great that the states have made it easier and easier to apply, with fronting money just about a thing of the past, the "price" being payed is a huge influx of tire kicking NR's applying. Draw odds have taken a nose dive, leftover tags are about dried up, and the high pitched whining from the johnie come lately NR hunters is ridiculous. IMO, there are too many people applying for tags they cant afford because they don't have to front much, if any money to do so.

Because of that, when they actually have to front money for ONE state, they throw a fit. Wasn't that long ago it was simply the reality of applying.

While I agree that its BS for WOGA to attempt to force people into using an outfitter, this really shouldn't be a huge inconvenience for any half serious applicant looking for an elk tag in Wyoming either. Certainly not to the level of bitching on this thread.

KurtR

WKR
He’s saying ppl can’t afford to pay the tag fee for that long and float the money and still apply other places, so they will cut WY outta their app strategy. Look, I’m very familiar w all the reasons that this happened etc. and I certainly understand moving the draw to a later date due to Quotos etc being set. I think what has obviously pissed ppl off is the WOGA being allowed to keep the deadline for NR Jan 31. It’s beyond ridiculous and there is no arguemnent that can be made logically for keeping it at JAn 31 other than pure greed on WOGA behalf and the state allowing them to do so. If ppl want to hire a guide then they will and attempting to make them apply before other states and keeping their money for 4 months in order to lock their clients in is forcing ppl into something. It’s no different than the wilderness law. No other state in the west has a law like this or this new 4 month wait. Ppl don’t want to be forced into things. If I want to hire a guide then I will and others will if they want. But the WOGA has this belief they can alter the rules or have laws etc that forces us into hiring a guide and that’s the part ppl hate. Let us choose not manipulate the rules into forcing our hand.

I get why people dont like it but that doesnt matter. In the real world its not so black and white some times you have to give some thing to get some thing. Crying and bitching about every thing that aint fair is a tough way to go through life. I want a full swaro glass kit and i cant afford it thats not fair that others can.....