Wyoming 90/10 for elk

tdhanses

WKR
Are you trying to compare an Airbnb of an average house on not much property... to a high end all inclusive private ranch on 30k acres?

Pretty sure the people that stay there, could buy that 700k house without blinking an eye. So not really a comparison i take much thought into. And the majority of people looking to rent are going to be in the summer/fall seasons, not to convenient for someone that wants to be at their house for hunting season etc. Just saying, i see plenty of the "seasonal" residents, and very few are normal middle class income type to make it actually work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Just saying there is an easy market to NR’s for vacations. $3k for a week stay isn’t bad for an avg house with decent rec opportunities. Heck just offer it to 15 RMEF chapters in the Midwest and East coast as a 50% donation with min reserve of $4k, 15 weeks and $2k+ income for this time.

Also who wants to be in their house come hunting season? The most optimal rental times are times to be out away from home, but being in the state counts, pretty sure you aren’t expected to never leave your home.

Last edited:

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I can't wait to see how this pans out. Please let me know when all you guys picking up and moving for an elk tag get here, I'll buy you a beer. I'll buy two if you make it more than a couple years. If you are so hard up to hunt, why not alaska? If I was putting all my chips into hunting I wouldn't half ass it.
Spot on! I’ll buy 3 if they make it 3 years…even in CO, outside the metro area, in rural areas of the state like WY….it’s rough through the winter and the rest of the year for that matter. Not to mention proximity to health care when retired, proximity to any modern amenities, etc etc etc…you’ll be anywhere from 60-80 years old, as a “retiree” in a hostile weather state.

It’s a pipe dream for the 99%, and honestly I may be one of those 99% who couldn’t hack it as a retiree in rural WY or CO so I’m not saying this half heartedly…..I watch 30,40,50 year old hunters every year who can not navigate or hack it in a half inch of snow on forest service roads…do it when your 65 as a new lifestyle, and take care of your wife while your at it.

Fatcamp

WKR
Here you go! A couple mobile homes in lander for less than $150,000. A few other small homes for $350kish. Some great homes for $600k!

We have no intention of moving to a tourist location. Plenty of options, especially if you enjoy desert areas.

Bighorner

WKR
You guys can all debate about if a bunch of folks are going to retire in WY. As for me, it's not up for debate, we will. We're not rich but we don't have to be. I'll eat gotdamned mayonnaise sandwiches if I have to. Luckily, with all the tags I'll get, I shouldn't have to. :)
Theres no need to wait we have a labor shortage, skilled or otherwise. 150 for a single wide? Come get it. No need for mayonnaise sandwiches tomorrow when you could start your year towards eating mule deer hocks today!

The best time to move to WY was 1885, the second best is today!

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I aint moving to WY just to hunt. So, should make someone feel good that at least 1 hunter isn't moving there. To invest a couple hundred thousand dollars to hunt elk a couple times is pretty far out there. Most of this is just puff and yap. After they think about it for a bit will realize it aint worth it and move on.

Wags

WKR
It makes sense for me. I already own land there. My current home will be paid off so I'll only have 1 home payment, if that. We've got options in North Arizona or CA to winter in if we choose.
I grew up spending 3 months a year in Wyoming until I was 18. I've hunted it my entire life, minus my military years, and plan to do so until I'm gone. My plan had been to go to Montana but with the housing increases there and a few other factors like retirement income taxes and such I think we've decided on Wyoming. That may change, but I'll be in one of those two states.

Thinking about quitting my job , selling my lake home, moving my wife away from our family to pick berries in Wyoming. Still a little in on the fence . Elk hunting would be an added bonus .

rhinorv

WKR
Most of the arguments on this thread seem far fetched and attempt to "justify" why, as a NR, you feel one way or another or why, as a resident, you do as well. The 90/10 split is hardly a new idea, it is already implemented in surrounding states, and not many people seem to take issue with that.

The argument from NR's about "people are going to move in in droves" is laughable. Many would have done it by now. As a NR, I think it is much smarter to argue that other states have tried the outfitter/guide set asides and it failed, ultimately leading to a large increase in leasing by the guides and reducing access for the residents, including block management type areas, etc. The DIY hunter is not able to lease property like the guides/outfitters can, especially if the guides/outfitters have a steady stream of clients every year with the set aside. That is the issue. NR and residents need to be on the same page and arguing what "may" happen or warning residents about this mass influx of DIY hunters does not help that cause and, as a resident, is annoying.

On the other hand, residents need to realize that same point. Quit making NR's out to be the enemy. They spend tons of money on gas, lodging, food, some into guides/outfitters, tags, travel, etc. They have the same interests we do and are willing to pay more for that fair shake. They aren't the enemy. They have done a great job at pitting residents vs nonresidents while they try to slip the 40-50% set aside under our noses and it will only hurt everyone but the guides/outfitters, namely the crappy ones.

Privatizing a public asset is bullshit we all know it. Nonresidents, Residents, WOGA, Task Force, we all know it. As a resident, I would much rather stay at the 80/20 or the 84/16 than give a set aside for outfitters/guides.

Possible 95/5 for a DIY non- resident with substantial price increase in tags, waiting longer to hunt, increase in amount of points, increase cost per point and more of them. Can someone explain to me why I should be more enthusiastic about this ? Leave things as they are and no I'm not moving to Wyoming to hunt elk .

Bighorner

WKR
Most of the arguments on this thread seem far fetched and attempt to "justify" why, as a NR, you feel one way or another or why, as a resident, you do as well. The 90/10 split is hardly a new idea, it is already implemented in surrounding states, and not many people seem to take issue with that.

The argument from NR's about "people are going to move in in droves" is laughable. Many would have done it by now. As a NR, I think it is much smarter to argue that other states have tried the outfitter/guide set asides and it failed, ultimately leading to a large increase in leasing by the guides and reducing access for the residents, including block management type areas, etc. The DIY hunter is not able to lease property like the guides/outfitters can, especially if the guides/outfitters have a steady stream of clients every year with the set aside. That is the issue. NR and residents need to be on the same page and arguing what "may" happen or warning residents about this mass influx of DIY hunters does not help that cause and, as a resident, is annoying.

On the other hand, residents need to realize that same point. Quit making NR's out to be the enemy. They spend tons of money on gas, lodging, food, some into guides/outfitters, tags, travel, etc. They have the same interests we do and are willing to pay more for that fair shake. They aren't the enemy. They have done a great job at pitting residents vs nonresidents while they try to slip the 40-50% set aside under our noses and it will only hurt everyone but the guides/outfitters, namely the crappy ones.

Privatizing a public asset is bullshit we all know it. Nonresidents, Residents, WOGA, Task Force, we all know it. As a resident, I would much rather stay at the 80/20 or the 84/16 than give a set aside for outfitters/guides.
Well said. Particularly not accepting a solution to a problem we dont have in the form of the outfitter set aside.

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
Count me in as another guy looking to move to Wyoming within a year! Can't be worse than Colorado

tdhanses

WKR
One wonders, if Wyoming is so horrible, why don't those that live there move out?
Because they are tougher then the rest of country, the horrible pay, etc, definitely not for quality of life, at least that sure seems like how it’s sold. Sounds like only for the hunting.

tdhanses

WKR
Funny, comparing Brush Creek lodge to "normal" housing. Not even close.
No but it just show’s there are plenty of opportunities to make money off an investment in WY, Brush Creek is always filled up with NR. I think that’s the disconnect, one doesn’t have to live in WY full time and there are plenty of opportunities to make a home there pay for most of the annual costs and not rent it out 1 yr at a time yet still make it a main residence.

Laramie

WKR
One wonders, if Wyoming is so horrible, why don't those that live there move out?
Actually quite a few moving away regularly - most of the time for careers. I did in my 20s because I literally tripled my pay for equal cost of living. I still have family there and plan to "retire" there eventually. I'll be about 50 when I go and understand exactly what I'm getting into. I do agree with some others though - most don't get it until they live there for a year or two.

I'm going because I love the mountains and the weather. I hate the heat and am ok with 6+ months of winter. I also love the edge and attitude of most who live out there. After time some who move there just hate it.

tdhanses

WKR
Actually quite a few moving away regularly - most of the time for careers. I did in my 20s because I literally tripled my pay for equal cost of living. I still have family there and plan to "retire" there eventually. I'll be about 50 when I go and understand exactly what I'm getting into. I do agree with some others though - most don't get it until they live there for a year or two.

I'm going because I love the mountains and the weather. I hate the heat and am ok with 6+ months of winter. I also love the edge and attitude of most who live out there. After time some who move there just hate it.
I think that happens to many everywhere, I hate being stuck in KC, way too hot and humid, I’m already ready for winter again but once the kids are gone we’ll be out of here for most of the year and it will be either CO or WY.

There are always pros and cons.