Wyoming 90/10 for elk

Bighorner

WKR
I just want to know why states prop up the outfitters so much? Is it because someone who will book with an outfitter is more likely to pay more for a tag and spend more in their local economy than a DIY guy? Like are they trying to bring in a niche of hunters that want to burn more money?
It because over lunch the WOGA is asking about leasing from the Task Force land owners and oh by the way they still have a mule deer spot avaible if you want to swing out in october we discuss this more. That's why they are getting the handouts.

I would be willing to bet some of those task force members will go on some pretty swanky hunts in the next few years as a "thank you"

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
Obviously not a survey for elk, but if you want to voice your opinion on the changes coming for moose and sheep you can take a survey.

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet

Ralphie

WKR
It because over lunch the WOGA is asking about leasing from the Task Force land owners and oh by the way they still have a mule deer spot avaible if you want to swing out in october we discuss this more. That's why they are getting the handouts.

I would be willing to bet some of those task force members will go on some pretty swanky hunts in the next few years as a "thank you"
Not saying that isn’t happening, weren’t there already some free trips given to outgoing commissioners? But the fix was in from the formation of the task force. It’s obviously stacked heavy with outfitter and or landowner types. Because they have the influence with the politicians to get on the committee in the first place.

Triple d

FNG
So what I am gathering is the 90/10 law will likely go in effect for elk in possibly 2023 or 2024?

All I need is a half acre plot with a pole barn to park an RV beneath….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I guess I'm the odd duck, but I know a guy that puts up metal buildings and is pretty handy with most construction, so one big or several small buildings on decent sized lots, live there the minimum required days to qualify for residency, plenty of scouting time. Stay enough years to get a lifetime license, then sell to the next group of hunters and repeat in NV, UT, AZ...seems reasonable to me. My boys graduate high school in 6 years so implementation is not immediate unless I can come up with a few contingency plans, but as cheap as non residents can hunt and apply here in Texas, what is the loss, especially with a lifetime license In my pocket here... Just a thought to spice up thus derailed post!

bgipson

FNG
I guess I'm the odd duck, but I know a guy that puts up metal buildings and is pretty handy with most construction, so one big or several small buildings on decent sized lots, live there the minimum required days to qualify for residency, plenty of scouting time. Stay enough years to get a lifetime license, then sell to the next group of hunters and repeat in NV, UT, AZ...seems reasonable to me. My boys graduate high school in 6 years so implementation is not immediate unless I can come up with a few contingency plans, but as cheap as non residents can hunt and apply here in Texas, what is the loss, especially with a lifetime license In my pocket here... Just a thought to spice up thus derailed post!
Yeah not how that works. You have to reside in Wyoming for the full 365 prior to purchasing your resident deer or elk license and there is no lifetime license for big game. Also to become eligible to buy lifetime for fishing, small game/bird, or archery, you have to reside here for 10 years.

Yeah not how that works. You have to reside in Wyoming for the full 365 prior to purchasing your resident deer or elk license and there is no lifetime license for big game. Also to become eligible to buy lifetime for fishing, small game/bird, or archery, you have to reside here for 10 years.
I don't believe I said anything contrary to that. I've not researched all of the states, but the ones I have are 10 years to buy a lifetime, and then while you have to pay nr price for tags, you aren't subject to the nr quota. Not saying wyoming is that way, as I'm not certain, but several states are.

All that being said, I was. Being humorous with that post. Sorry if it offended...

bgipson

FNG
I don't believe I said anything contrary to that. I've not researched all of the states, but the ones I have are 10 years to buy a lifetime, and then while you have to pay nr price for tags, you aren't subject to the nr quota. Not saying wyoming is that way, as I'm not certain, but several states are.
The moment you leave the state you retain 0 resident rights. I know what you're referring to (in reference to another state) but Wyoming is not that way. You're either in or you're out. No offense taken, we just have enough folks already trying to game the system getting convicted every year wasting the time of our already spread thin wardens.

Zim

FNG
Yikes 10 years! 😳 I bought an IL LL in 2006 after moving there just 60 days, and the requirement was only 30. Easily the best $190 investment I ever made. 😂 Ended up living there 13 years but moved to IN in 2019 to escape the ridiculous taxes. Not subsidizing million dollar state employee pension entitlements. But sure love huntin their public on the cheap! I earned that.

Also cashed points for a WY gen elk tag this fall. Glad I saved those as I had a son & grand daughters move to nearby Fort Collins. Will get to visit them all after hunt. And share some elk meat.

Last edited:

bgipson

FNG
Yikes 10 years! 😳 I bought an IL LL in 2006 after moving there just 60 days, and the requirement was only 30. Easily the best $190 investment I ever made. 😂 Ended up living there 13 years but moved to IN in 2019 to escape the ridiculous taxes. Not subsidizing million dollar state employee pension entitlements. But sure love huntin their public on the cheap! I earned that.

Also cashed points for a WY gen elk tag this fall. Glad I saved those as I had a son & grand daughters move to nearby Fort Collins. Will get to visit them all after hunt. And share some elk meat.
Idaho takes 6 months. Wyoming is 10 years. Kinda crazy the range in requirements state to state but I like the 10 years so people can't game the system.