Wyoming elk points

So I'm just starting my journey to try to draw an elk tag in the next 4-5 years. So looking over the web, can my wife buy points and gift them to me, or am I not understanding it correctly?

Maverick1

WKR
Before you start planning to draw a tag in 4 or 5 years just know the Wyoming elk tag that took 4 or 5 points (years) to draw in 2023, only took 1 point to draw 4 or 5 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This! Said differently, @Gerald Prescott - you may have to wait much longer than 4-5 years to hunt WY. I wouldn't heavily plan on anything until after 2029.

No , she can buy her own and you can party app with her PPs. No to transfer of PPs.
This is all you need to know.

Buying someone else points will not help you in a party application as long as you have the same number of points. If you had five points, and she had five points together, you would have a party application with a five point average. No advantage.

If you were to buy your wife points and then apply for a license and draw it on your own, you would go back to zero points. In that case, you could put her on a party application with you. But you would have to pay the full cost of both licenses if you drew.

Reactions: CMF

IdahoBeav

WKR
Man, if transferring points was an option, everyone in my family would be building points! I'd be reaching out to cousins that I hadn't talked to in years! lol.
In Oregon it is very common that guys buy points for non-hunting family members and then add those family members into their group applications to increase the point average as needed.

Before you start planning to draw a tag in 4 or 5 years just know the Wyoming elk tag that took 4 or 5 points (years) to draw in 2023, only took 1 point to draw 4 or 5 years ago.

Do you have an example of this?

General tag took >4.0 in the special last year. It took it took 1 in 2018.

That may be a pretty extreme example. I know Wyoming didn't used to have a bunch of 1 point units...but the lower point units I've seen have grown at about half that rate (half a point per year). And a lot of them are pretty flat 2019 to 2023 (which covers 5 years of data, as far back as GoHunt goes).

fatlander

WKR
That may be a pretty extreme example. I know Wyoming didn't used to have a bunch of 1 point units...but the lower point units I've seen have grown at about half that rate (half a point per year). And a lot of them are pretty flat 2019 to 2023 (which covers 5 years of data, as far back as GoHunt goes).

It’s an example nonetheless. And it’s the tag that most people are chasing that are just getting in the game, if they’ve got any hope of ever hunting.

A good portion of those units that aren’t moving predominantly wilderness.

Rooster46

FNG
I’ll be curious to see what the special draw does with the new cost. Even with 4 points this year in the regular draw for a gen tag your chances hover around 15%.

What's the chances that with the new draw system for NR that it might take less pounds then last year or the same??
I can see a possibility of that but not in the region most hunters will apply for. If you want the hunt in the east you could be in luck.

KHNC

WKR
General tag took >4.0 in the special last year. It took it took 1 in 2018.

Negative. It took 2 points in 2018. I know , because thats the last damn time ive been able to draw a tag on first draw in Wyoming.