Wyoming antelope question.

swmoelk

FNG
What is one thing you guys look for in antelope country that makes you know it's good goat country? I've seen plenty of antelope from the interstate but never could pinpoint why they were in that location. Feed,cover,and water is what we hunters are always looking for but to be honest all the lope country I've been in looks the same. I have my unit and dates picked out already so this isn't a "tell me the magic unit with 0 point" thread. Just curious what you guys think.

The areas I have hunted didn't have a water issue as they were and are around lakes and rivers. In archery season I look for taller brush so I can crawl. Rifle season doesn't really matter. I usually find goats in both places. I have killed a goat on top of a mountain in forest and some in the sand dunes. I look for foliage. If there is food they will be in the right place. Young sagebrush, grass etc. water is important if your in an area where there isn't a lot. Like mentioned above.

OP
S

swmoelk

FNG
That's all we are looking for. As of right now my father in law and me are just going to head out and hit the state land and a few wia's with some doe tags in our pockets. Wyoming has done a good job of providing ample info for the first time antelope hunter. I'm thinking we will hunt the Thursday and Friday after the opening weekend and hopefully the goats wont be pushed around too much during the week.

You should have no trouble filling your tags in a couple days. I've been out with 3 friends several times and killed 6-9 animals in 1 or 2 days.
Very easy animal to hunt and lots of fun.

Lukem

WKR
If it's in the state of Wyoming. :)

Good pronghorn habitat in Wyoming is hard to define because it's all pretty good. By and large big sagebrush is the important thing, pronghorn are more winter habitat limited than anything. They need good browse to help them survive the slow starvation that is winter. Other than that, access to water plays a role in their distribution across the landscape.

2rocky

WKR
Good antelope country means you drive down a main road and see antelope every 5 minutes. You get to 7 minutes and say "hmmm....I haven't seen an antelope for..." and then you see one.

Wyoming Antelope densities are some of the best in the West. The only other place that seems to measure up is the Pawnee Grassland of NE Colorado.

Now Trophy antelope will require peeking in the hidden draws, but if you can see for a ways, Antelope white butts stick out like a sore thumb.

If water is scarce, most of them will be within 2 miles of water sources like cattle troughs, springs, stock ponds, etc.

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Success rates are ubiquitously high in Wyoming. So look at harvest days and % public land to find a good unit. Within a good unit, de facto, there will be lots of good antelope. Keep the public % high and the harvest days low and you'll have a great hunt. Heck, some of the OTC units are great in WY. Antelope capital of the world...and they ain't lying!