Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

tdhanses

WKR
Applied for multiple species in the majority of Western States for over 20 years and have yet to draw any prime unit or prime species tag anywhere. The only way I’ve ever been able to hunt Wyoming is in the secondary draw (leftover tags/after draw) in units with mostly private property. Did my homework and hired outfitters with access to good property. I was able to have a few wonderful bowhunts and took a couple of great bucks - but none of it through the draw or point system.

When I began applying 20+ years ago the NR Draw System gave NR hunters a legitimate chance to build points and eventually draw tags (albeit for more money and less chance than a resident, even back then) but it has devolved into a cruel joke. With many factors impacting harvest targets and expanding applicant pools, NR are a politically convenient target. In the long-run, will diminishing NR access have any lasting positive impact on addressing the real issues facing hunting and wildlife in western states? Absolutely not. However, it provides great clarity about what to do with the seemingly never-ending requests for donations and support to organizations and efforts that primarily benefit western states. When it comes to who should benefit or even have a chance to participate in hunting the rallying cry is “this is ours, outsiders not welcome,” but when under attack or an issue comes up that specifically targets hunting in those states the rallying cry is “this effects all hunters and you should provide unquestioned support.” The continual assault on NR access in legislative proposal after proposal and the anti-NR venom from residents that I see posted here and all over other other hunting boards has been very educational. Thank you.
Couldn’t agree more, why do we that live in states without elk, mule deer, sheep, goats etc continue to support RMEF, MDF, WSF etc if the states that receive all that support dislike the NR so much as to want to keep reducing our already limited opportunities in these states. Also why do we do it when the residents make it clear they do plenty for wildlife and don’t need our help.

Applied for multiple species in the majority of Western States for over 20 years and have yet to draw any prime unit or prime species tag anywhere. The only way I’ve ever been able to hunt Wyoming is in the secondary draw (leftover tags/after draw) in units with mostly private property. Did my homework and hired outfitters with access to good property. I was able to have a few wonderful bowhunts and took a couple of great bucks - but none of it through the draw or point system.

When I began applying 20+ years ago the NR Draw System gave NR hunters a legitimate chance to build points and eventually draw tags (albeit for more money and less chance than a resident, even back then) but it has devolved into a cruel joke. With many factors impacting harvest targets and expanding applicant pools, NR are a politically convenient target. In the long-run, will diminishing NR access have any lasting positive impact on addressing the real issues facing hunting and wildlife in western states? Absolutely not. However, it provides great clarity about what to do with the seemingly never-ending requests for donations and support to organizations and efforts that primarily benefit western states. When it comes to who should benefit or even have a chance to participate in hunting the rallying cry is “this is ours, outsiders not welcome,” but when under attack or an issue comes up that specifically targets hunting in those states the rallying cry is “this effects all hunters and you should provide unquestioned support.” The continual assault on NR access in legislative proposal after proposal and the anti-NR venom from residents that I see posted here and all over other other hunting boards has been very educational. Thank you.
How did you type that entire eloquent post and not mention that BHA said we were all “public land owners”.
Your a better man than I.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn’t agree more, why do we that live in states without elk, mule deer, sheep, goats etc continue to support RMEF, MDF, WSF etc if the states that receive all that support dislike the NR so much as to want to keep reducing our already limited opportunities in these states. Also why do we do it when the residents make it clear they do plenty for wildlife and don’t need our help.

Great questions right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Questions those organizations don't want asked. It seems "we're all hunters" when it comes to money and support. It quickly changes to "you aren't entitled to tags/animals" when it comes to utilizing the resource.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Been thinking about this today.

First thought, on Federal property - we are all residents regardless of our mailing address as long as it is one of the 50 states that make up this country.

I am good with the states setting the rules for tags and access to state or private land.

I have as much skin in the game on Federal property as the guy that lives next door to it and should have as much equal chance to hunt it.

By my count about 7 western states are being talked about here. That is 14% of the 50 states.

Those 14% of states want to limit the rest of us to 10% access to property we equally own.

On Federal property - there should only be one license, one cost, one quota, one draw. The state can set the tag limit to manage the widlife, that is their job. They can set the price, but only one price. Everyone that wants to play- pays the same for the same chance to play.

As some have pointed out, the state "owns" the game. 50 States own the Federal property. About 14% of the states enjoy the majority of the Federal property. Tell me why the the 86% of the rest of us shouldn't Post No Hunting signs.

Cowbell

WKR

Hands down one of the best posts I have ever read on Rokslide.

In my honest opinion, I feel like there should be federal regulations put in place to where all federally owned land should be given equal opportunity to all federal taxpayers to have a chance to hunt. Higher NR tag fees would provide the funding needed to the states to manage those wildlife.

How‘s he any different then the residents for us NR guys? Seems both are only out for themselves so find it funny when a resident calls him out.
He's in it for the money. I know the guy, he's a lying weasel. How exactly is wanting a fair shake on tags for our animals screwing non residents? You don't say where you're from, but you can always stay home and hunt elk, sheep, mt .goat, moose, deer and antelope. Be thankful for the opportunities Wyoming gives you.

Cowbell

WKR
The most ironic thing about this Bill is the fact that Wyoming residents want more of the tags for "their" land but landowners in Wyoming aren't even given the chance to hunt their private land with the people they want. Because of the draw, Landowners who have NR friends that they want to share their land with can't even draw the tag. If Wyoming does this, they need to allow transferable landowner tags. But that would hurt the private land outfitters.

tdhanses

WKR
He's in it for the money. I know the guy, he's a lying weasel. How exactly is wanting a fair shake on tags for our animals screwing non residents? You don't say where you're from, but you can always stay home and hunt elk, sheep, mt .goat, moose, deer and antelope. Be thankful for the opportunities Wyoming gives you.
Hilarious, classic, bet you like all of us NR propping up your economy. Who do you think supports your energy sector, ranching and tourism, all you residents? Do WY ranchers only sell to locals? Non of the energy gets exported right? WY would fail if not for non residents but hey, you could still hunt.

I could careless if SY just looks to line his pockets, he’s a business man, seems residents want to line their pockets with double digit tags. This time around his interests align with non residents.

Be thankful we support your economy, wouldn’t take much for non residents to stop purchasing beef from WY, pressure their congress members to stop all federal land energy production and vacation elsewhere. I’m sure all 600k people in WY can easily support the state without any money coming in from other states or the feds.

Also all your state owned animals are grazing for free on my land, time the residents pay for their feed.

Last edited:

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I hope all of you folks advocating for the Federal government to regulate hunting access are just being dramatic. Stop with this "but mah taxes" bs. Seriously if you break down how much of your taxes go towards public lands in the handful of states we're talking about here, it is well under 1/10th of a percent.

tdhanses

WKR
I hope all of you folks advocating for the Federal government to regulate hunting access are just being dramatic. Stop with this "but mah taxes" bs. Seriously if you break down how much of your taxes go towards public lands in the handful of states we're talking about here, it is well under 1/10th of a percent.
True but remember it adds up fast when you look at all the states with little to no federal land vs their population size and federal tax contributions, I can guarantee you 600k residents in WY fund only a handful of federal acres vs the east coast population.

Its just a reality, take away opportunities and you’ll see fewer fight to protect these lands.

Also for all the residents that think we are throwing a tantrum, it would be hilarious to see if the bill was reversed and giving more tags to non residents the tantrums they would throw, bet some would even make it a key voting issue vs what really matters to WY residents such as jobs, schools, and health. I’m sure the residents don’t want a rush of a million no residents becoming residents either.

Which state has the smallest population?
Wyoming

Population in the states of the U.S. 2020. California was the state with the highest resident population in the United States in 2020, with 39.37 million people. Wyoming had the lowest population with about 580,000 residents

Last edited:

wysongdog

WKR
That’s to much of a burden on those poor residents. Maybe next year they can add a bill that will demand non-residents drive up, pickup, and deliver those tags to residents. And when the out of staters do so they should feel very lucky that Wyoming grants the privilege to possibly look at their state owned wildlife. They could turn that into a whole separate draw system
I’ve read 15 pages of this. I’m super ignorant and I apologize. If you don’t like it.
.. stay home and don’t apply. I apply for other states so I can hunt more. The odds aren’t great but I know that. If we don’t want to play the non resident game. I guess we don’t apply.

wysongdog

WKR
It’s everyone’s own
Wyoming's distain for NonRes isnt limited to just the WGF et el.

Wyoming residents dont even like the Colorado green license plates coming to visit! They call em 'Greenies'

But the Wyoming residents dont think twice about coming to Colorado for some real culture.

Backwards at best.
colorado for real culture?? please buddy.. at the end of the day NR game sucks for us all. it’s just the way it is. And yes... I’ve hunted several out of state tags along with my Wyoming tags.

To add to this. People are saying they pay taxes on these public lands so they should have a say in how the wildlife is managed, as in they get tags. Do you also agree that non-hunters or even anti-hunters also pay taxes, so they too should say what happens with the wildlife? They far out number hunters.

Edit:
To add even more, how many hunters ACTUALLY pay taxes? I know a lot of hunters that get back more than they pay in.

Last edited:

Htm84

WKR
Been thinking about this today.

First thought, on Federal property - we are all residents regardless of our mailing address as long as it is one of the 50 states that make up this country.

I am good with the states setting the rules for tags and access to state or private land.

I have as much skin in the game on Federal property as the guy that lives next door to it and should have as much equal chance to hunt it.

By my count about 7 western states are being talked about here. That is 14% of the 50 states.

Those 14% of states want to limit the rest of us to 10% access to property we equally own.

On Federal property - there should only be one license, one cost, one quota, one draw. The state can set the tag limit to manage the widlife, that is their job. They can set the price, but only one price. Everyone that wants to play- pays the same for the same chance to play.

As some have pointed out, the state "owns" the game. 50 States own the Federal property. About 14% of the states enjoy the majority of the Federal property. Tell me why the the 86% of the rest of us shouldn't Post No Hunting signs.
Careful what you wish for. The feds shut down lands in Alaska last year to only the localist of the locals. Some of you guys are gonna feel awfully stupid when the states are offering 90/10 and feds offer 100/0.

So Sy Gilliland, of WOGA, sends us an email today of how this proposal will “hurt our(NR) future chance of hunting WY”, and to get in touch of those legislators. He says nothing related to the state holding our NR elk tag fee for 4+ months. Easy to see he’s just worried about his pocketbook, and not that of the NR applicants

Did Sy/WYOGA mention how they screwed the non-residents when it comes to hunting the wilderness in Wyoming. Lay with the dog you may end up with fleas and Sy/WYOGA are awful big fleas. Careful....

wysongdog

WKR
It sure seems like We are super good at bitching and complaining to and at each other. And tearing each other apart... instead of coming together and standing together against the anti’s