Wyoming unit 51 advice

I’m looking to get a unit 51 archery tag. Is there anyone here or anyone you know who would take me on as a resident guide. Not professional just allow to be paid some and get us access. Also if not where would you direct me to hunt in the non wilderness area for some nice animals

OP
J
I may have read the ruling wrong but it says you don’t have to be a professional you just have to register with the state and you can only take two people a year

I may have read the ruling wrong but it says you don’t have to be a professional you just have to register with the state and you can only take two people a year
Yes as in a friend hunting with you. Anytime there is compensation whether it’s money or anything else it’s outfitting and a whole other ballgame. They have to do it for free.

Jethro

WKR
In your opening post you offered to pay somebody to take you into wilderness. A resident cannot be compensated for taking a nonresident hunting without being a licensed professional outfitter/guide.

Laramie

WKR
I’m looking to get a unit 51 archery tag. Is there anyone here or anyone you know who would take me on as a resident guide. Not professional just allow to be paid some and get us access. Also if not where would you direct me to hunt in the non wilderness area for some nice animals
You might be able to pay top dollar for his latest piece of artwork and let him guide you for free... Works for politicians and their family members...

Ceo

FNG
A resident guide is not a paid outfitter/guide. It is a resident who accompanies someone into a wilderness area. example, you have family who live in Wyoming but you no longer live there as a resident. They can register with the state to accompany you while you hunt in the Wildness area. They are not getting paid.

OP
J
You know I am quite the art collector lol I could always use another limited edition beer ring on a napkin painting lol and we could discuss the painting while walking the wilderness

Going to be extremely difficult to find a resident willing to take you if you don't already know them. I'd suggest offering a trip in exchange from your state or considering a unit with less wilderness. If you end up in the same canyon as an outfitter over there, they can be quite ornery. Be prepared for grizzly encounters pretty much daily....

OP
J
I would definitely exchange for a deer hunt in Michigan or even set them up with a salmon fishing trip here in Michigan.

BDRam16

WKR
I don’t know anything about you, but I’ll just throw this out there. If you’re blatantly advertising that you’re willing to commit a game violation by illegally paying a non-professional guide a fee, I wouldn’t stick my neck out for you as a resident putting my name on the line to take you to a place you couldn’t otherwise go. If you’re willing to break one law who says you wouldn’t break another. I understand you may not have known it was an issue, but once people told you it was, the response should have been “oh, my bad.” Not a good look in my opinion.

OP
J
Haha I clearly had no idea it wasn’t allowed I apparently misunderstood what I read about a resident guide. Not realizing they couldn’t take someone for a fee and it was a joke about the painting clearly. And when someone suggested maybe exchange the hunt by taking them out in my own state I don’t think would be illegal and lastly by no means would I ever do something intentionally illegal. I was not looking to break a law by any means nor put someone’s name on the line.

Haha I clearly had no idea it wasn’t allowed I apparently misunderstood what I read about a resident guide. Not realizing they couldn’t take someone for a fee and it was a joke about the painting clearly. And when someone suggested maybe exchange the hunt by taking them out in my own state I don’t think would be illegal and lastly by no means would I ever do something intentionally illegal. I was not looking to break a law by any means nor put someone’s name on the line.
Wrong. The key word is compensation. Of any kind. Technically you’re not even allowed to buy them dinner at the end if the day. Trading hunts is definitely compensation and they’ve definitely seen that one before. During the off season you’d be surprised where they poke around looking for things like that. One year fish and game called me and made me change one word on my outfitter website. There are people getting away with things like swap hunts etc but they aren’t doing it on the internet. If there’s one thing that gets fish and game excited it’s illegal outfitting. It’s right up there with poaching so be careful.

I know you mean no harm but make sure you’re educated on the dos and don’ts. This is obviously a great place to learn! Lol

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
51 is gnarly, kick your ass country filled to the brim with grizz. I wouldn't hunt it unless I had horses to get it out in one trip. Not sure I'd even go in there during archery season doing cow calls.

I live here and I don't think I'd even hunt it without stock or a guide with a pack train. You're not going to find many people willing to do what you're asking.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

OP
J
Yea looks like 51 might be out with the amount of bears and access during archery season. Might consider another unit. I’ve only got a few days left to decide

OP
J
Here’s a question for you. If I am applying as a group vs as an individual but I’m guaranteed to pull a tag theoretically as an individual lol. Would that increases the chances as a group or would we be considered like the random draw where points don’t really matter ?

BDRam16

WKR
Here’s a question for you. If I am applying as a group vs as an individual but I’m guaranteed to pull a tag theoretically as an individual lol. Would that increases the chances as a group or would we be considered like the random draw where points don’t really matter ?
If you have preference points, in WY they average them. So if you have 2 points and it needs 2, and your partner has 1, your average of 1.5 would not draw the tag. If it is your second choice, then the points don't matter and the group application will have no bearing on your draw odds.