Wyoming with 5points

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
So I could apply first choice for a unit that required 5 or 6 points, not draw it, and then second choice a unit that requires 2,3 or 4 points. Draw the 4 point unit and not lose my points?

Do the points I have, have any influence on my second choice? Or does second just random with no point influence?

Does the special draw have any influences on second choice? Give better chance of drawing a second choice unit?

Thank you for info!
You will only draw your second choice if there are more permits than applicants who applied as their first choice for that hunt. Any unit that took points to draw will not be abailable as a second choice. No points are used and to be honest there will not be many hunts available as a second choice.

OP
BrettJolly

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
You will only draw your second choice if there are more permits than applicants who applied as their first choice for that hunt. Any unit that took points to draw will not be abailable as a second choice. No points are used and to be honest there will not be many hunts available as a second choice.
Ok, now in the special draw, if I don’t draw my first choice would it be special draw odds for second choice? So a unit that requires 0 points in special would still be possible if I apply in the special draw

So I could apply first choice for a unit that required 5 or 6 points, not draw it, and then second choice a unit that requires 2,3 or 4 points. Draw the 4 point unit and not lose my points?

Do the points I have, have any influence on my second choice? Or does second just random with no point influence?

Does the special draw have any influences on second choice? Give better chance of drawing a second choice unit?

Thank you for info!

1.No

2. Points are not use for second choice

3. Totally depends.

Question four doesn’t make sense. The special draw odds are for the special draw.

Wyoming game and fish website is incredible resource try using it.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, now in the special draw, if I don’t draw my first choice would it be special draw odds for second choice? So a unit that requires 0 points in special would still be possible if I apply in the special draw
To be honest I would say forget about second choice. When I apply I don’t put a hunt down as a second choice. Many of the hunts available as a second choice are not worth my time coming from the east coast. That may be different for someone else tho who might have prior unit knowledge or private access

Laramie

WKR
I’ve had it somewhat narrowed down to 27 73,74, and 75. Used onX and the WY fish and game site as well as many Google searches, some of which tend to contradict each other. Gets to be a lot to decipher. Just curious about camping areas in those units, on blm can camp anywhere right? How about hunter pressure?

Also, I’ve been searching for the answer to this and again getting some conflicting info. Curious about second choice units? If I apply for a unit that takes 5 or more points as a first choice, and apply to a unit that requires less as a second choice do I lose my points on the second choice? To keep points does the second unit have to require 0 points? Or can the second just be less than first and I keep my points? How does that work? Am I better off just applying for another 4-5pt unit as a second choice?

I realize these questions should have been in my original post. Lol
You will not draw 73, 74, or 75 unless you get extremely lucky in the random. 73 took 5 points last year to draw in the special. It will likely be higher this year. 74 and 75 took over 6 points to draw in the special. You are likely 1-2 years from being able to draw 73 and 2-3 years from drawing 74 and 75. You might be able to draw 27 depending on the number of people applying this year. It took over 4 to guarantee a tag last year. If you really want to hunt this fall, you should be looking at areas that were 100% draw last year with 4 points.

Laramie

WKR
Forget about 2nd choice... Second choice used to be a realistic option 15 years ago. Now every area with decent public access sells out in the first drawing. Hence why they require points to draw. I haven't listed a second choice for 10 years as it's pointless. The tags you can draw second choice will be available when leftover tags go on sale generally. They are difficult public access areas where a hunter will struggle to find a place to hunt with animals on it.

Pooner

FNG
Yeah I agree forgot your second choice it doesn't matter anymore. Find a unit closer to home with the most public land that has just barely less points than you have and go hunt. Don't overthink it just go hunt. You can run circles on picking the right unit and with antelope I don't think it matter that much anymore.

All depends on what value you place on animal size and hunting pressure. If they are not that important then any zones that required 3-4 pts last year will work.

Honestly, You're going to see 14-17 inch goats in every unit, regardless of the PPs needed to draw. Growing up there, antelope is an easy hunt and you will always hot opportunities.

wytx

WKR
Honestly, You're going to see 14-17 inch goats in every unit, regardless of the PPs needed to draw. Growing up there, antelope is an easy hunt and you will always hot opportunities.
Well I don't know about the 17 inch comment but 14 inchers can be found all over.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
As most have said, highlight all the units that took 3-4ish points last year. Pick one of those units based on any other criteria you may have. Good luck.

Thank you for info!
Hey im kinda late to the chat here and new to the forum, but am very familiar with the WY draw as I lived 28 years there and am an outfitter in the state. not trying to sell you a hunt or anything but you can hunt a lot of good units in WY with that number of points and kill just as good of a buck as anywhere in the state as long as you do the research and know what you are looking at trophy quality wise..... our best buck this year came from a unit that takes 0 points in the special.... 80+" goat. but back more to your questions...... if you don't draw your first choice and yo apply for second and third choices that aren't 0-1 point unit or doe tags you will not draw them. however if you do apply for a 2nd or 3rd choice and its a low draw odds unit it will not affect your current PP's. if you wanna chat on the phone about this it'd pry be little easier to explain. send me a PM if you'd like and we can chat. imo guys saving antelope points for 10 plus years in Wyoming are wasting their time theres big goats in dang near every unit you just have to know what you are looking at and where to look for them.

Thanks,

Tyler O'Brien