Xbolt help… stripped scope mount hole

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
While installing a 1 piece picatinny scope mount, I stripped the threads INSIDE the receiver. It is the front left hole and the last one I did. All other 7 screws are blue loctited to recommended torque spec. Rifle is a 6.8 western Max LR if that matters.

Has anyone encountered this issue recently? Did Browning step in to help?

What are the chances that the other 7 screws will hold the scope/mount securely enough for excellent accuracy? I have a big Trijicon 4.5-30x56 on there (34 oz).

Assuming that it needs to be fixed for optimum accuracy, what should I do to fix it?

Thanks guys!

muzz

FNG
I think you are fine with 7 screws. If anything put a bit of jb weld on it and let it set up. My brother did the same thing and 5 years later he’s still using it.

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Not much to show in terms of pictures. I’ve left it fully attached to the rifle to see if it will shoot before removing the mount.

BBob

WKR
I would think since others do fine with 4 screws, 7 would be fine. Probably have to bump the screw up to an 8-40 to fix it. There are other ways but not very cost effective for a rifle in the price range.

There are also repair screws for 6-48. Slightly oversized and dedicated tap required.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
Take them all to 8-40. Tap them yourself if you're comfortable with it or take it to you gunsmith.

It will probably be okay with 7 but it would always be in the back of my mind. If something were to go wrong, it'd be when you had the shot of a lifetime and it went south.

KineKilla

WKR
Get a one piece mount like a DNZ and not worry about it any longer unless it becomes a problem.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ll shoot it today and if it’s no good I’ll take it to the smith for D/T 8-40

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Shot 6 groups today with two different factory ammo. All 0.9-1.1 MOA. Not exactly the 0.5 MOA I had before but consistent enough to where I think the mount it probably ok.

Could my accuracy degradation be a function of ~300 rounds now through the gun due to throat erosion? Maybe I need to start hand loading to get closer to the lands? New to all this.

BBob

WKR
Could my accuracy degradation be a function of ~300 rounds now through the gun due to throat erosion?
No. You mentioned two different factory ammo, was that ammo different from what you used to get your previous .5 MOA?

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
No. You mentioned two different factory ammo, was that ammo different from what you used to get your previous .5 MOA?
No, same ammo. Gun has been shooting like a champ and then the accuracy just went to complete shit last week. I had a lot of copper fouling in the bore so I did the bore eliminator routine and got out all sorts of crap. Went back out yesterday and groups were literally all over. Random shots like a drunk was shooting it. I’m no expert but the Bergara 270 I was also shooting was hammering bugholes. I cleaned the crown really well and retightened action screws and mounts/rings this morning. As of today it has gone from a 3 MOA gun to a consistent 1 MOA gun. Still not back to where it was previously. Like I said, I’m no expert and am learning everyday. Appreciate the insights.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I did the same thing. Send it to Browning. Cost me $75 last year. Turnaround was 3 weeks. They EDM'd it out. Left the threads intact. They deal with this ALL THE TIME with the X-Bolt.

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I did the same thing. Send it to Browning. Cost me $75 last year. Turnaround was 3 weeks. They EDM'd it out. Left the threads intact. They deal with this ALL THE TIME with the X-Bolt.
That is great to hear. Seems like an issue common on the X bolts

BBob

WKR
It sounds like you broke one of the screws off in the receiver? The OP stripped the threads in the receiver, not the same thing to fix. Mby browning can still fix it economically???