yall see that little NULA shorty in 30 AR in latest rifle magazine?

Rifle magazine, Nula Super Short (2.5" action), 1/2" shorter than standard short action, for the .223 to 7.62x39 micro cartridge class, author had one built in 30 r-ar (Remington AR...or 30 AR?). Anyhow, from recollection it was 38.5" long with a 20" tube, he put a leupy vx3 1.5-5x on it and at 9.3 oz with talleys he's less than 3/4 lb additional and only discrepancy I can find in the data is he says its 5.25 lbs scoped making it 4.5 lbs naked but commented it was 4.25 lbs naked earlier in report. Anyhow, its light, short and was accurate, and serious hp for a little package with that cartridge, he was doing 150 gr accubonds/ballistic tips at 2600 fps which is pretty awesome power in AR length cartridges...i'm drooling over this little rifle but in a 6.5 Grendel...gotta clear out that gear list and flog some stuff but if I 'need' another gun at some point it could be one of these as I've toyed with the idea of a cz 527 build in the past and have wanted a micro cartridge over achiever for some time now. Figured the rocksliders would be interested in that Melvin rifle. Sounds like the 6.5 Grendel in the AR set run 123 gr amax with .51 bc around 2600 fps out of 20" tubes also and ballistically pretty efficient for powder burned, found elk kill at 400 and antelope over 700....obviously pushing it but seems like a pretty reasonable 600 yrd deer/sheep cartridge, not sure i'd want the 30 ar over the Grendel but I could see it for the Alaska guys wanting near 308 performance for added bear margins? Very cool little gun in either cartridge imo...he was getting 1/2 minute with the nosler ab/bt's in reloads. Anyhow, why i'm thinking about another rifle is beyond me and I shouldn't be....maybe I can live vicariously through someone here ;) :).

OP
S
I dunno how much more horsepower one would want in such a little gun? That 30 AR case looks to me like it would be about right or just over what I might prefer for recoil etc. as I do tend to shoot more consistantly sub-moa when rifle isn't too sharpish, on paper is one thing, real world as I've learned is another, at least my own personal preferences to stay shooting well. I suppose the reloaders and wildcatters could use the 30 ar case to neck down to 7/6.8/6.5, looks like interesting base as its based off the 450 bushmaster case which was originated from the .284 case, it holds 44 grains of water where the 6.5 Grendel holds 35 grains of water, so I suppose for those looking for higher bc options off the 30 ar case one could neck down to 7, .270, 6.5....a 6.5 AR would be pretty stellar and likely be a couple hundred fps quicker than the 6.5 Grendel but personally i'd go for the Grendel as i'd want it to be fun to shoot and not too on the edge of my recoil/blast. Its got more than enough ballistics for my needs and I regularly shoot/practice and set up rifles to go at least 600. I liked the idea of getting the 12.75" lop with couple recoil pads also so thin one for kids coming up and then screw on a 1" thick one for when bigger...pretty high end 'youth option' but at least it could grow with them. I digress, the 30 ar or Grendel look good to me, that'd be a fun gun to hunt and shoot, coyotes in winter, range days etc.

Other thing to note as mentioned in article your not limited to AR magazine length with the little bolt gun as you have a bigger magazine well, I think up to 3" so you can seat bullets long leaving room for powder etc.