Y'all tell me if I'm overreacting or not

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a Backstrap May 3 but due to USPS delays didn't get it until late May or early June. I didn't get to using it right away because I've been working 6 days a week and all the other stuff that comes with being an adult. After using it for a couple of weeks, I noticed my d-loop was frayed so I replaced it. Well, less than a week later the new one is frayed. I can't see any burs or anything else that would be causing it. The first d-loop was put on last summer and got me through tuning and deer season. Until the Backstrap came in I was using a Hardcore 4 finger thumb button and I never had any trouble with d-loops with it. That Backstrap is the only high end release I've ever had. Anyway, I email Nock On and they told me to contact Carter. I called Carter Friday and he said send it back and they'll replace the hook. Ok, so far so good. Well, their instructions for warranty work says to include $15 for return S&H. So I've paid $220 for the release and now I have to pay to send it back and then I have to pay for them to send it back to me! That last $15 about sent me over the edge! By the time it's all said and done, I'm going to have close to $250 in a brand new release that sells for $220! At this point, I can't send it back to Nock On because their website says "within 30 days from the date of the order". Heck, it was probably 30 days after I ordered when I got the darn thing! Am I wrong for being upset?

Oh yeah, I'm already doing everything the guy at Nock On told me to do. BCY #24 and the top knot is on the right and the bottom knot on the left.

TSAMP

WKR
Obvious question is have you asked them to cover shipping or split it with you?

I'd say after that it is what it is. It's likely got a burr on the finger, if ur capable find some emery cloth and clean it yourself. If you aren't, it's not of any use as it stands so you'll either have a 250 dollar great release or a 220 dollar worthless one.

I'd just polish it. There likely a very small burr, something you can hardly see. Might find it with floss.

Get some leather shoe strings, or leather cordage, put polishing compound on it and work it over the hook, should fix it. Or start with some 1200 grit paper, then do the polishing.

bsnedeker

WKR
I had the same problem with mine! It's a bummer, but I just took my dremel with my polishing wheel and smoothed it down. It was pretty obvious where the burr was when I started feeling around the hook after I noticed the issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Some releases are much harder in d loops than others. The worst is usually the dual caliper releases like the tru ball assassin and Scott releases. But that backstrap, from pictures, looks like it’s very squared off, if it’s actually that squared off in person, I can see it chewing through d loops.

Ive shot the wiseguy for 5 years and have never seen any fraying in my d loops. I change them out mostly when I think it’s just been a while.
The backstrap chewed through my brand new d loop in less than 100 arrows, it had a noticeable burr by feel. It's been fine since I polished it.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
The backstrap chewed through my brand new d loop in less than 100 arrows, it had a noticeable burr by feel. It's been fine since I polished it.

It has chewed up the new one in less than 100 arrows. I just can’t find a bur. I even used a magnifying glass.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'd just polish it. There likely a very small burr, something you can hardly see. Might find it with floss.

Get some leather shoe strings, or leather cordage, put polishing compound on it and work it over the hook, should fix it. Or start with some 1200 grit paper, then do the polishing.
Polishing compound as in what one would use on a car?

wapitibob

WKR
Use bcy 23, knot orientation doesn't mean anything, and polish the hook. Go to a paint store and get a 1000 grit, 1/4" thick sanding pad (they're foam), cut off a 1/4" wide strip and use it like a rope saw to polish the hook.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Obvious question is have you asked them to cover shipping or split it with you?

I'd say after that it is what it is. It's likely got a burr on the finger, if ur capable find some emery cloth and clean it yourself. If you aren't, it's not of any use as it stands so you'll either have a 250 dollar great release or a 220 dollar worthless one.
I have some emory cloth. I’ll try that first. Thanks!

bsnedeker

WKR
This is what I use with my dremel. Same stuff I use to polish the sears on my rifle triggers.

I couldn't see the burr, but I sure could feel it.
38c7df1e3e2a2e1f5c82f927050d82dd.jpg

Zac

WKR
I had a burr on a 2Smooth that would chew through a loop every session. I emailed Carter and they said it wasn't possible. Haven't had great luck their customer service either.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I had a burr on a 2Smooth that would chew through a loop every session. I emailed Carter and they said it wasn't possible. Haven't had great luck their customer service either.
What did you do about it? Do you still buy their releases? I was considering another model.

Stalker69

WKR
I don’t think your over reacting, I bought a nock on release and hated it, gave it away as they would not accept returns. Won’t buy another that’s for sure.

Rob5589

WKR
I'd go the polish route as well. You can't return it so why spend 30+ bucks to potentially run into the same problem.

As a side note, I've owned one Carter product, an index release, and while the head was nice, the wrist strap was trash. Soured me on Carter for sure.

I just get white polishing/buffing compound that you use on a buffing wheel. It kinda looks like and odd shaped piece of chalk. But isn't round, flat sided. You can rub it on cardboard or leather to get an incredible edge on a knife.

Zac

WKR
What did you do about it? Do you still buy their releases? I was considering another model.
I sent it back to them anyway. Then on return my release got lost in the mail for a month. They sent me a brand new model and then the old one showed up as well. I told them about it and they wanted me to send back the new release even though UPS had already reimbursed them for the lost one. I ended up paying them for the new release as well. They were fairly rude throughout the whole process, and never did admit to the burr defect in the jaw. Eventually I got rid of most their products and switched to Stan and UV. I won't ever buy another Carter product.

I ordered a Backstrap May 3 but due to USPS delays didn't get it until late May or early June. I didn't get to using it right away because I've been working 6 days a week and all the other stuff that comes with being an adult. After using it for a couple of weeks, I noticed my d-loop was frayed so I replaced it. Well, less than a week later the new one is frayed. I can't see any burs or anything else that would be causing it. The first d-loop was put on last summer and got me through tuning and deer season. Until the Backstrap came in I was using a Hardcore 4 finger thumb button and I never had any trouble with d-loops with it. That Backstrap is the only high end release I've ever had. Anyway, I email Nock On and they told me to contact Carter. I called Carter Friday and he said send it back and they'll replace the hook. Ok, so far so good. Well, their instructions for warranty work says to include $15 for return S&H. So I've paid $220 for the release and now I have to pay to send it back and then I have to pay for them to send it back to me! That last $15 about sent me over the edge! By the time it's all said and done, I'm going to have close to $250 in a brand new release that sells for $220! At this point, I can't send it back to Nock On because their website says "within 30 days from the date of the order". Heck, it was probably 30 days after I ordered when I got the darn thing! Am I wrong for being upset?

Oh yeah, I'm already doing everything the guy at Nock On told me to do. BCY #24 and the top knot is on the right and the bottom knot on the left.
I would certainly expect them to take care of it. Polish it your self and don’t buy another carter if you feel like you have been mistreated. Let them know you won’t be purchasing carter products anymore and see how they respond.

ZDR

WKR
interesting feedback on Carter...Ive had nothing but positive experiences with their customer service.

miggy

FNG
That's pretty lame for something as small as a release they're asking you to cover shipping both ways on a warranty issue. Unless you love the way it shoots, I'd probably try and return it.