Your Elk Hunting Rifle

repins05

WKR
Right on. Right now I’m comfortable out to 400ish yards. I plan on Doing some good practice once I move out there and have more space. I’m on the fence between the vortex razor 4.5-22 or the leupold vx6hd 4-24. I don’t knock vortex because I’ve hunted with them before and they are great glass. However I’m curious if the extra cost with leupold is going towards the name or the actual performance.
Both should be great for 400 yards. I recommend going to your sporting good store where they have both scopes and asking if you can take them outside and glass. You could also do this around sunset. cabelas etc ….. you can glass the mounts they have in the store. You are going to get a million opinions. I go for the scope that my eyes like. Sometimes it is a trial an error process as well.

Marble

WKR
I have never hunted out west but I’m moving to Wy in a few weeks. I bought a Browning X Bolt Hell’s Canyon in 300 WM. Anyone got recommendations on scope power for elk/mule deer in southern and eastern Wy? I’ve only hunted the southern US and Midwest, all my whitetail shots have been 300 yards or less.
If you look around on here, there are a few threads discussing this. There are lots of opinions on what is best etc. For the rifles we hunt with for elk/mule deer, we have scopes in the 4-16 range. I have one Nightforce that is 5-22, and i like it, but we don't even turn it all the way up on the shooting bench.

My favorite scope so far is a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15. My only complaints are that it is heavy and expensive. I knew both of those when I bought it. Other than that, it's flawless, IMO.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Both should be great for 400 yards. I recommend going to your sporting good store where they have both scopes and asking if you can take them outside and glass. You could also do this around sunset. cabelas etc ….. you can glass the mounts they have in the store. You are going to get a million opinions. I go for the scope that my eyes like. Sometimes it is a trial an error process as well.
I’ve been glassing the mounts at cabelas but never thought to ask about checking outside. That’s probably going to be my deciding factor. I’m thinking the 4-24 and 5-25 ballpark. I’d like to improve the distance I’m comfortable hunting at as well as have a little fun slinging long distance. Appreciate your input.

Last year was 6.5CM, but carry ‘06, 308, 264wm at times too. Considering putting a 35 whelen together.
Quit considering and just do it... 35 Whelen/AI is my favorite big game rifle bar none. Elk, mule deer, whitetails. It's a 400 yd gun with the 200 TTSX. A good 3-9X or similar will be great, my opinion is more X's in a scope has been an overrated and unnecessarily theme. If a guy needs more than that range, stop shooting at big game and start hunting it, lol.

I posted earlier in this thread, however can't recommend the cartridge enough in the rifle of your choice. Modern powders push a 200 gr TTSX over 3000 fps safely, 225 gr over 2900 fps and 250 gr over 2700 fps in published data, not some figment posted for pie in the sky velocity.

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Quit considering and just do it... 35 Whelen/AI is my favorite big game rifle bar none. Elk, mule deer, whitetails. It's a 400 yd gun with the 200 TTSX. A good 3-9X or similar will be great, my opinion is more X's in a scope has been an overrated and unnecessarily theme. If a guy needs more than that range, stop shooting at big game and start hunting it, lol.

I posted earlier in this thread, however can't recommend the cartridge enough in the rifle of your choice. Modern powders push a 200 gr TTSX over 3000 fps safely, 225 gr over 2900 fps and 250 gr over 2700 fps in published data, not some figment posted for pie in the sky velocity.
I do have a nice REM 700 ‘06 that would be a good starting point…..

chindits

WKR
First choice bow, second choice 7RM. Might drop down to a 6.5prc if I ever shoot out my barrel on any of my mags. I probably don’t have that many hunting years left in me. A camera is pretty tempting these days. No problem getting camera tags for the best units.

First choice bow, second choice 7RM. Might drop down to a 6.5prc if I ever shoot out my barrel on any of my mags. I probably don’t have that many hunting years left in me. A camera is pretty tempting these days. No problem getting camera tags for the best units.
I like the camera idea. Love taking photos of animals, and you currently don't need a special tag or season to do it.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Walmart Greeter

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger hawkeye 270 win shooting a 110 TTSX at 3300 fps. Haven’t shot elk past 200 but based on deer results I would go out to about 300 if needed.

I've been using a 300 WSM. Winchester 70 with a Leupold VX5. Slinging 180 grain Sierra Gamekings. Have had excellent results in elk and mule deer. Quite frankly, it's really hard on deer. Hit them in the boiler room and then go flop! The bulls and cows I've shot with it, hump up and fall over pretty quick as well. 50-500 yards and not one complaint.

I just finished up some loads for a Browning A bolt 338. 230 grain ELD-X... if all goes well I'll report back this fall with the results of that.

nest

FNG
First elk was with a Cabela's .54 cal muzzle loader (octagon barrel), switched to a Rem 700 bdl 300WM which loves Berger vld 185 grain hand loads. Most recently have switched to a Christensen Ridgeline 300 PRC which happenes to like 212 grain ELDX factory loads which is a lot more fun to pack than the previous two rifles. With the muzzle break my kids are also able to shoot it and have taken two elk to date. Been a great rifle so far.

tmorty

FNG
Tikka t3x .270 wsm shooting 175 sierras @2850fps always knocks them down. Had exit wounds on this particular bull at 435 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_3838.jpeg
    IMG_3838.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3836.jpeg
    IMG_3836.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6960.jpeg
    IMG_6960.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 66

Mosby

WKR
300 WM with a Hart barrel, McMillan stock, Leupold scope. 175 gr Barnes LRX. I have several rifles but if could keep only one it would be my 300 WM. Killed my biggest whitetail and elk with it.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I have harvested a lot of elk with my Browning 300 WM, Vortex Viper 6-24x50, 180 gr accubonds. Deadly at 50-600 yards.

Recently purchased a CA Ridgeline FFT Ti 7 PRC, Vortex Razor 3.5-15x42. Plan to work on a load this spring after break-in. Lightweight gun for backcountry hunts.