your preferred inner sock?

ozyclint

WKR
i have some wool cushion socks that i really like for winter tahr hunting in NZ. last year i just ran the wool socks i have since that was all the boots would allow. i have new boots this year due to my feet getting bigger so i have room for a liner sock.

i can't remember what my current liner socks are since i've had them forever so i'd thought i'd ask what your preferred liner sock is? my new boots are also uninsulated as opposed to the insulated ones i used to have so a liner sock will be good this year.

any preferences on material for use with wool? wool and wool, wool and synthetic?

I run an rei liner sock. Its synthetic. Then I run a selection of different wool socks over that. Works great for me. If there's going to be a lot of elevation change I tape the back of heels just for prevention.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use smart wool socks for both layers..and enjoy nice comfy socks they fit the bill nicely and wear well:)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use simple polypropylene liner socks with Smartwool Classics over them. This is the best combo I've found for me. Keeps my feet dry and comfortable. Wool directly on my feet makes them bright red and feel like they're on fire.

gmajor

WKR
Rei synthetic liner and darn toughs over them. Always been perfect, been doing the same for years.

1hoda

Banned
Icebreaker or Darntough merino alone (no liner), or with a Coolmax liner from Lorpen.

WRM

WKR
Either swiftwick or Xbionic socks for liner.

Tape up with Leukotape after prepping skin with benzoin tincture. Tape job good for at least a week then.

These are a little non conventional, and I don't know what kind of voodoo magic they have going on but these little booties are amazing. I started with them in my rubber work boots and now have them in my hiking boots. I wear a light merino hiker and these. My feet sweat a lot, summer and winter. At the end of the day when I pull my boots off my socks and the inside of the Bamas are bone dry, the outside of the Bamas are soaked. If sweat is an issue these are the ticket.
http://www.gear-up.com/products/view/bama-socks-for-rubber-boots

Another vote for Smartwool. That's all I use any more. Pair their liner socks with your choice of light, medium or heavy hiking socks and you are set

My hunt partner and I both used the Injini liner socks last year. They work superb, although are strange looking with the individual toes on them. They dry amazingly quick and really kept blisters at bay, even when my feet were super hot.

Add me to the smartwool club... smartwool liners with usually First Lite socks over that... if its cold I may add a middle layer with some insulation sock - usually something poly