Youtube jockeys losing credibility

Ralphie

WKR
Ive seen quite a few nice bulls killed. And I still really enjoy cow elk hunting and any legal bull hunting.

I have about zero desire to shoot a doe deer or a small buck ESPECIALLY a small mule deer buck. My preference Is unless you are a kid or never killed a deer to let younger mule deer bucks and all does live.

Elk are doing really well as a species that is part of it for me for sure. Also probably their overall body size.

Maybe elk101 just likes hunting elk and doesn’t care about the size. What kind of bulls were they killing before YT?

Wrench

WKR
This is exactly why I don't share pics and stories. People have unreasonable expectations and base judgment off of their dream, not my experiences.

Enjoy the season, learn some chit, hope for 360 and settle for what feels like your opportunity.....or don't.

To those who thump cows, spikes.....rags, good for you if it makes you happy and fits in your freezer.

Posts like this are the reason why Facebook hunting pages turned to complete garbage.

If you’re really upset about two class acts in the hunting industry killing 5 pt public land bulls on camera and THEN claiming that they don’t know how to elk hunt? C’mon man... that’s a whole new level of internet garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wish there was a way to point out someone is doing something illegal without being called a "hater" or a "troll". Videos like this one are great, but they are in Colorado, and aren't wearing a head covering with blaze orange visible from all directions. If you are going to put your work out there for all to see, you should dot your "I"s and cross your "T"s.

GregB

WKR
I really wish there was a way to point out someone is doing something illegal without being called a "hater" or a "troll". Videos like this one are great, but they are in Colorado, and aren't wearing a head covering with blaze orange visible from all directions. If you are going to put your work out there for all to see, you should dot your "I"s and cross your "T"s.
As much as we don't like to admit it no one is perfect. And most anyone that has hunted long enough has probably unintentionally done something illegal whether they know it or not, myself included. Especially if they hunt multiple states. If we were honest with ourselves about our own mistakes, we might not be so quick to judge. We'd be doing pretty good if the biggest issues in hunting was whether or not someone was wearing an orange hat. Until then there are better things to spend time and energy on.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
This is one of the crazier posts I've seen on Rokslide. I've passed on exactly one legal elk in 4 years in the mountains, and it was a cow the first day. I've killed a decent 6, two raghorns, and a cow. And I was every bit as excited for the cow as I was the 6. I like seeing regular guys struggle, you've got an impressive bull in your handle there, would love to see you post pictures of all your giant 6's on OTC units.

This is one of the crazier posts I've seen on Rokslide. I've passed on exactly one legal elk in 4 years in the mountains, and it was a cow the first day. I've killed a decent 6, two raghorns, and a cow. And I was every bit as excited for the cow as I was the 6. I like seeing regular guys struggle, you've got an impressive bull in your handle there, would love to see you post pictures of all your giant 6's on OTC units.
I’ve killed more cows than bulls. Last year I drew back and let off on a broadside 40 yard opportunity on a cow opening day. My freezer is elkless and you can bet your sweet ass that won’t happen again

Gobbler36

WKR
I personally hate hate elk hunting YouTube and YouTube hunting in general especially when they start all the bullshit about “come out west and enjoy all your public land” and the Bro culture they depict with all their matching camo Onesies but with all that said your comments are laughable mature 6 point or tag soup is not relatable to me at all and if a guys first priority is meat than so be it. I’m in that boat myself. I would agree though that mature animals are tougher ti kill and probably are the baseline for that next level challenge

I've been a consistent reader on this forum for a couple of years. This thread is so incredible I finally had to register and weigh in. These guys found a way to make a living doing what they love. If anything we should be commending them. If it's not your cup of tea, there's a simple solution, turn it off. I'm not from the west and got started elk hunting a little later in life. I've gone elk hunting 5 times and have eaten tag soup 5 times. Any elk is a trophy to me, and more important yet, an unforgettable experience. Watching these guys grind it out as public land hunters is inspiring for someone who has to sit around for 50 weeks to experience the thrill once a year.

Not going to use specific names/brands but I'm sure you can figure them out. I've been of staunch opinion on here for a while, that the running around the woods non-stop blowing on your bugle and or cow calls all day long is not the model for consistent success on mature elk. If you guys have been "following along" on all the youtube elk stars this year you'll see what I mean. Look at all the immature bulls these guys are killing in an effort to just get a kill shot for video. Dude... I'm not shooting a 4-5 point bull on the last day of my hunt when I have no elk in the freezer! Yet, these guys that are trying to sell you shit are so desperate to get that kill shot they shoot a 2-3 year old bull. Seriously? If we were talking about mule deer you guys would be watching these guys shoot forky bucks! Come on man, if you're trying to market videos as a professional elk hunter then act like one. Mature 6 point bulls or eat your tag. Or don't pretend you know how to elk hunt.
Some of us like raghorn elk meat. It tastes pretty damn good.

CPW could probably pay their years salaries on blaze orange violations that are posted on youtube

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
I think the other part of the equation is condensing a hunt down from many hours a day to 30 min or 1 hour segments... They don't want to show all the time spent walking, listening, sitting, etc. because that doesn't create views. Action or interacting with elk creates views.

Let's do some math and make some extreme assumptions:
Time spent hunting = 10 hr per day
Number of days hunting = 7 days
Total hours hunted = 70 hours

Let's say they make 3, 1 hour "episodes" from a week long hunt:
3 episodes at 1 hour each = 3 hours for Youtube viewers
To follow OP logic of calling the majority of episodes let's say 50% of episode = 30 min each
3 episodes at 50% calling = 1.5 hours total calling during Youtube viewing

1.5 hours of calling / 70 hour total hunting = 2.1% of total hunting time spent calling
I think that is a fairly small amount of time spent calling in the grand scheme of a week long hunt. Point being, it's a matter of perspective and what they choose to condense footage down to show the viewers....

who cares.. do you call out people not wearing seatbelts?
This is the type of reaction I was attempting to address. I want to be clear, I’m not calling CPW, I’m not saying these are bad people, but if I see someone making a mistake, I do try to educate them. If they are in my car, I do call them out about a seatbelt. Just like if they don’t see a red curb where they park, I give them a heads up. I don’t approach it in an antagonistic manner, I let them know, and if they learn and change, great. If they don’t and call me a jerk, that’s fine too.

Game laws are confusing, especially if you hunt multiple states. I would rather get a heads up from someone than a ticket. None of us are perfect, but all of us should be helpful.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
very good guys having fun making a living elk hunting and helping others on how to be successful and enjoy september elk hunting👍 Does not get any better than that and what they choose to shoot is an individual decision and what makes them happy....continued success to them👊