Yukon Sheep Hunt Recommendations

jmart5687

FNG
Hello Everyone,

I am at the point that I am ready to book. The two outfits that I originally planned to go with haven’t worked out like I had planned due to COVID and the struggle the Alaska guys are experiencing.

Please share your experience.

I’m looking hard at Mervyn’s Yukon Outfitters, Tombstone and Blackstone, in that order, but am open to new Recommendations.

Thank you in advance,
Josh

Why Yukon, are you looking for a fannin?

If dall, I'd be sure to include the Northwest Territories

OP
jmart5687

jmart5687

FNG
Why Yukon, are you looking for a fannin?

If dall, I'd be sure to include the Northwest Territories
I would love a Fannin, but not a deal breaker. Sorry, it’s not that I am excluding NWT, it’s just the outfitters that I’m considering are all Yukon based. I’m open to NWT outfits as well.

I would love a Fannin, but not a deal breaker. Sorry, it’s not that I am excluding NWT, it’s just the outfitters that I’m considering are all Yukon based. I’m open to NWT outfits as well.
I went with Gana River and would go with them again, but if they were booked my next calls would be to Ravens Throat and Arctic Red River

Mojave

WKR
There are two outfitters in the NWT that I think are worth considering. I have personally met both of them, and spent time and I feel like I would be comfortable with either one. Saying that I have never hunted with either one of them.

They are:

Ravens Throat, owners name is Grizz he is originally from Wyoming.

South Nahanni, Werner and Sonny Ansbacher he is Austrian and she is German.

I would prefer Ravens Throat. But Werner and Sonny also use helicopters.

Comparing either the Yukon or NWT to Alaska, they are both more expensive and have much higher success. Areas in Alaska where the outfitter has a concenssion or draw area the hunts are equal, but the rams in Alaska can be bigger. Especially in the Tok Management Unit and Chugiak.

I am probably not telling you anything you don't know.

Granular

FNG
I hunted the Tombstone concession back when Pete and Sharon Jensen owned it. I was looking for a traditional horseback "pack train" 14 day adventure moving through scenic mountainous country which is exactly what they delivered.

In my view, the helicopter assisted hunts in the NWT would be a completely different experience.

At that time, Tombstone was considered a mixed bag type area as opposed to a high density sheep area. We saw both pure white and fannin sheep coloration in the same bands of rams. The area definitely held nice sheep populations just not as high density as farther south. Moose, grizzly and caribou were abundant.

Resident pressure was not a problem at that time. I am not familiar with the current owner(s).

cbeard64

WKR
I had a good experience with Mervyn’s on my 2017 hunt. Well-run operation, good guides/wranglers, beautiful country, and good sheep numbers. I killed a beautiful ram on the first day on what was intended to be a scouting foray before spiking out the next day.

We spiked out anyway for several days because I still had a grizzly tag. I was drawn to the area because it was the same area Jack O’Connor hunted and I am a pretty big history buff.

09461E78-5F6D-4A58-8A0F-F660D4D322CC.jpeg

OP
jmart5687

jmart5687

FNG
I had a good experience with Mervyn’s on my 2017 hunt. Well-run operation, good guides/wranglers, beautiful country, and good sheep numbers. I killed a beautiful ram on the first day on what was intended to be a scouting foray before spiking out the next day.

We spiked out anyway for several days because I still had a grizzly tag. I was drawn to the area because it was the same area Jack O’Connor hunted and I am a pretty big history buff.

View attachment 503928
Wow nice ram!! I’m glad to hear that you had a good experience. I wasn’t aware of the history, that definitely adds to it. I’ve enjoyed all of my conversations with Mervyn’s this far, I’m just doing my due diligence because there isn’t as much info out there about them.

OP
jmart5687

jmart5687

FNG
I hunted the Tombstone concession back when Pete and Sharon Jensen owned it. I was looking for a traditional horseback "pack train" 14 day adventure moving through scenic mountainous country which is exactly what they delivered.

In my view, the helicopter assisted hunts in the NWT would be a completely different experience.

At that time, Tombstone was considered a mixed bag type area as opposed to a high density sheep area. We saw both pure white and fannin sheep coloration in the same bands of rams. The area definitely held nice sheep populations just not as high density as farther south. Moose, grizzly and caribou were abundant.

Resident pressure was not a problem at that time. I am not familiar with the current owner(s).
I’ve heard a lot of good things about Tombstone, but it all seems to be prior to the sale of the company.

cbeard64

WKR
I honestly think the vast majority of outfits in both the Yukon and NWT are top notch.

It’s just a matter of zeroing in on the type of hunt you are after and being comfortable with a particular outfitter.

If I had the means I would hunt every year in the Yukon or NWT - probably with a different outfitter every time just to vary the experience. 😊

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I took a great dark Fannin ram with Blackstone 20 years ago. 2nd year Jim owned it. Stopped by the booth this weekend at the sheep show and was surprised to meet the new owner, Luke Dueling, who was a packer way back then. He’s making sure my moose is secure here:

6CFE7092-7584-4023-95DB-3C561008E3EB.jpeg

I’ve got no doubt he and his wife will continue the fine tradition of Blackstone Outfitters.

MDM23

FNG
I hunted with Canol(NWT) in ‘22 and can’t recommend them enough. Lots of sheep and old rams, can’t shoot unless at least 10 years Old. They are currently booking 2026. In the Yukon I’d look at Ceasar Lake which is now owned by Dustin Roe, they are going to focus more on sheep than the previous owner did. Midnight Sun in the Yukon is good too but I have not hunted with them.

Big338

FNG
Bonnet plume outfitters in Yukon. Killed 12.5 year old ram. Awesome adventure. Also got a Wolf and black bear same hunt.
3 years prior I killed a moose and grizzly and with them.

Going this year with NWT outfitters in Northwest Territories with Lancaster’s. Sheep and caribou. Would have been last year but Covid pushed me back.

Scottf270

WKR
Most all the Canadian outfitters are superb. I personally know the Lancaster's having hunted moose in 2010 and 2012. Was gonna do sheep in 2020 but Covid intervened.

I was going with friends but over the delay I went after other animals and decided not to go. I can't really afford it now. Most outfitters are into the mid 30's and nearly 3 years out. If you have the coin and time, you will have a great hunt.

buckpro

FNG
Don at Macmillan River is a solid choice also, been twice, booked for a 3rd. Don't know too much about his backpack sheep hunt area but his Horse camp hunt area and guides are second to none(Stone sheep).

I just went through the process of picking a Dall outfitter and i was stuck between Mervyns and Canol in the NWT. Mervyns seemed top notch, i spoke with every one of his referrals and everyone had nothing but praise.

I ended up going with Canol since I got a clear impression from other hunters that even though it was a heli drop, it was much wilder/rougher country if you prefer that kind of area, and better odds at adding a caribou. Plus I want to see the Mackenzie's

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
You’ve received some great recommendations. Only one I’d add from the Yukon is Dan Reynolds. Tough to get in with but some great Sheep in some great country.

OP
jmart5687

jmart5687

FNG
You’ve received some great recommendations. Only one I’d add from the Yukon is Dan Reynolds. Tough to get in with but some great Sheep in some great country.
I was told that Dan Reynolds was THE place to sheep hunt when I first decided to pursue this crazy goal and it has been the top of my list since. But like you said, it’s tough to get in.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re wanting to get in touch with him just PM me or holler anytime. Be more than glad to make a call and give ya contact info.