Yukon Sheep Hunt Recommendations

MattB

WKR
I would look at Gana River in NWT. They are booking for 2025 last I heard. Bowhunted there twice, killed a nice ram and a caribou the first trip and never had a good opportunity on a bigger ram on the second. With a rifle it would have been a done deal.

A friend had a bad experience this past fall with Tombstone (99% that was the outfit, did it change hands in the past year or two?). Another friend was in camp at the same time had a fine hunt, but I personally would steer clear.

Last edited:
Would highly recommend South Nahanni Outfitters NWT. Took the ram pictured in my avatar with them. Great hunt with splendid folks.

Rackmastr

WKR
You’ve received some great recommendations. Only one I’d add from the Yukon is Dan Reynolds. Tough to get in with but some great Sheep in some great country.
For sure would be at the top of my list from all I've seen and heard. That being said there are some great outfits listed as well that provide excellent hunts!

OP
jmart5687

jmart5687

FNG
If you’re wanting to get in touch with him just PM me or holler anytime. Be more than glad to make a call and give ya contact info.
If you’re wanting to get in touch with him just PM me or holler anytime. Be more than glad to make a call and give ya contact info.
Thank you! Would you mind PMing it to me?

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I had a great experience with Gana River as well in 2022 for sheep and caribou. Top notch from top to bottom. Family atmosphere at base camp with lots of kids etc which reminded me of home but may not be some people’s flavor. When I was researching outfitters in the NWT there seemed to be great options. Arctic Red and Gana River still use supercubs while the rest seemed to use helicopters. Gana also does a lot of horseback hunts as well, though I went the backpack route. Going back in 2025 for sheep and moose and may bring the bow.

DavidMark

FNG
X2 on Northcurl. It was a great hunt with great people. Me and my dad hunted out of the same camp. We were both successful

Attachments

• 20220822_100740.jpg
    20220822_100740.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 54
OP
jmart5687

jmart5687

FNG
How physical are these hunts ? I'm pushing my years, with back & knees.
Sorry I did not see this post until just now. Everyone I have spoken to has said that all of the outfits are accommodating to all levels of fitness and age. Every outfit has had stories of hunters 70+ having successful hunts and the oldest I’ve heard of was 85.

A buddy of mine hunted with Mervyns this past August and he cannot say enough good things about them.Shot a great ram and they were trying to get him to hold out for a bigger one.This was after a bad experience in AK the prior August.

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_155641.jpg
    IMG_20220831_155641.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 76
Definitely Northcurl for the Yukon and Raven’s Throat for NWT. I’m headed back to Northcurl this august and back to Ravens Throat in 2026

Attachments

• 0E61A826-98E1-4472-8BC3-EE33B0D6CFDC.jpeg
    0E61A826-98E1-4472-8BC3-EE33B0D6CFDC.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 87CEF60C-E3B0-487A-BFBA-8EB842301446.jpeg
    87CEF60C-E3B0-487A-BFBA-8EB842301446.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 67
Pretty dang physical, arctic Red can fly you in with a helicopter
couple others helicopter out of Norman wells NWT
Ok, so you helicopter (no horses) to the top and spike camp out of there? Then I'm assuming you hike crossways or downwards across the mountain? Sounds doable for any age....

OP
jmart5687

jmart5687

FNG
Ok, so you helicopter (no horses) to the top and spike camp out of there? Then I'm assuming you hike crossways or downwards across the mountain? Sounds doable for any age....
Don’t let the helicopter deceive you, I’m pretty sure anyone who has been in these hunts would tell you that you will still put the miles on. If I were you I would look at the horse assisted hunts. It might even be worth starting a thread looking for people in similar situations that have gone on hunts.

Most importantly though, don’t give up, there’s a hunt out there that will work for you. I have talked to Mervyn’s Yukon Outfitters extensively and they want to see you succeed and will put you in the best position for your physical ability.

buzzy

WKR
I’d stay away from Tombstone as my buddy had a bad experience with them last year on his sheep hunt.

Pretty dang physical, arctic Red can fly you in with a helicopter
couple others helicopter out of Norman wells NWT
2nd that. Don’t confuse the NA Sheep helicopter hunts with how they hunt in New Zealand. These are still sheep hunts. Helicopters are used to get folks into the hunting area to set up spike camps where they will hunt the sheep. Hunters will still do considerable climbing and put on some miles. As S-3 points out, even thoough helos are used instead of horses, you’re still on a sheep hunt. The big difference is - less impacting to get in and out of spike camp areas.