Zeroing with a Lead Sled

KenLee

WKR
Sure. But I’ve seen cracked bedding and tangs on McMillan stocks from lead sleds. They are not a good thing for any use.
I normally use the sled without weight to rough zero, then swap to an old rest that lets you put your shoulder to the stock to fine tune. I've had that old rest probably 30 years and been zeroing scopes off the same old wellhouse roof since 1978.
Only shooting rest bag I own slips over the truck window if you partially roll it down.
If it's pouring rain and I want to hunt a field or powerline where I don't have a covered stand, I'm sitting in my truck.

2-Stix

WKR
Sure. But I’ve seen cracked bedding and tangs on McMillan stocks from lead sleds. They are not a good thing for any use.
I assume this can also cause a loss of zero on a scope, and other issues...which I think is some of what I have encountered.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! You sure appear to be defensive about your decision to use a lead sled. So, what are the reasons you find it necessary to use one? Does your recoil sensitivity make you afraid of your rifle? Are you not very confident in your ability to shoot a rifle well? Do you not grasp the principles of physics? Do you struggle to use critical thinking and reasoning skills when you hear new information?

Don’t give up. There’s hope. Lots of great resources are available to help you get a baseline understanding of the fundamentals of marksmanship. I’d recommend a precision rifle shooting course, or at the very least, enroll in some online training. Either option would be a great start.

Or, alternatively, you can remain a fudd with a lot of blowhard opinions and not much substance.

I sincerely hope you choose to get some training, increase your knowledge base and then get out there and practice shooting from field positions.

Best of luck!
How many people that support that opinion use muzzle brakes? I don't use a lead sled any more but I would do that and risk a broken stock before I'd put on a brake and risk my hearing.