Molle Gen IV frame build - Kifaru Cargo and Kuiu Ultra

LBFowler

WKR
Digging up an old thread. I decided to go this route; however I went a slightly different route. I discovered that Wilderness Specialties uses this molle IV frame on their Bighorn pack. I bought two frames on ebay for 10 bucks in new condition, and purchased the upgraded suspension from Wilderness Specialties along with their meat hauling sling. I then bought a Kuiu Icon 3200 bag and attached it to the frame. I'm still working on the bag attachment, but so far for what I have in it, I like it. Its surprisingly light.

The WPS frames look like some of the best budget haulers out there, how much did just the suspension cost you? I haven't used one yet but I have to assume their belt and harness is a huge step up from the military suspension.

I too love the infinite mounting options on the Down East frames, but haven't found a suspension I really like. I made a lumbar pad adapter and have a frame set up with Hill People Gear belt and shoulder harness, but it isn't perfect.

JWP58

WKR
The WPS frames look like some of the best budget haulers out there, how much did just the suspension cost you? I haven't used one yet but I have to assume their belt and harness is a huge step up from the military suspension.

I too love the infinite mounting options on the Down East frames, but haven't found a suspension I really like. I made a lumbar pad adapter and have a frame set up with Hill People Gear belt and shoulder harness, but it isn't perfect.

I think 120 for the suspension. It's the upgraded version that comes on the Yukon pack (also known as the Outdoorsmans optic pack).

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
I used the military suspension. I didn't think it was a bad as a daypack. I didn't test under real heavy loads either.

Fatcamp

WKR
How do you attach the panel to the bottom of the frame? Came with straps, but they don't make sense to me. Like this for now.

KIMG1350.jpg

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
That is the metal tri-glide on the bottom of the cargo panel. I just put it through the notch in the bottom of the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I had it like that, but it didn't seem right. Messed around more tonight and came up with this.

KIMG1353.jpg

Fatcamp

WKR
Here is how it turned out. Got my pack for $25 and it had 3 butt packs in it. Used a seam ripper to remove the belts and everything unnecessary. Two inside and one outside for my spotter. I've been using a Cabela's pack frames with a day pack strapped to it. This is heavier but far more compact. I don't backpack in anywhere, I just need to be able to carry a deer out. This does that in a small, quiet package.

Bought the panel for $100 off the classifieds here. Gonna buy a couple of the custom Nalgene holders which will bring the total cost to $175. Pretty happy about it.

KIMG1356.jpg