Kifaru vs Stone Glacier - Specifically fit and frame comparison

The SG's separate load shelf really wraps up and around the load cell that SG makes perfectly. The rectangular type shape of the load as opposed to a round tube shape dry-bag, really keeps a load of meat close to your back and locked onto the frame. By having that shelf wrap up around the bottom portion of the load cell, it really keeps it compressed solidly onto the frame. Whenever I've tried using a frame that just has straps or a fabric section at the bottom, it proves very difficult to get good compression. Trying to form a V shape with just a piece of fabric and loading meat into it has resulted in the meat migrating towards the bottom for me.

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
Y'all are making it hard on me to choose a pack!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Just sit down and list the attributes that are important to you in a pack. Rank them in order of importance from 1 to whatever. Then look at the differences between the packs which has been pretty well spelled out here and see which one is more in line with your list.

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
Get a SG and be done with it. About the only thing to consider is which bag. That's just my opinion though and I'm a big fan of SG.:)

Gotcha. This pack thing is crazy. So many choices and options

ljalberta

WKR
Gotcha. This pack thing is crazy. So many choices and options

If you can afford the shipping, order a couple setups, load them up with weight and go fro some hikes. SG, Exo, Kifaru, all seem to have excellent return policies within a 30 day or so window, as long as the packs are in excellent condition.

At the end of the day, all the packs are excellent, and make most packs from even 10 years ago seem sub-par. It's a great problem to have.

Ive been following this post as im between the SG 5900 with xcurve and the Kifaru duplex with the Woodsman bag.. i honestly cant make the decision myself either. I tried on the x curve at the outdoor show and tried on the Kifaru today at their store. Guess i gotta make that list and figure it out. I have an exo now and it just doesn't fit my back, great pack though. I live in my pack and both frames fit very similar.

charvey9

WKR
Ive been following this post as im between the SG 5900 with xcurve and the Kifaru duplex with the Woodsman bag.. i honestly cant make the decision myself either. I tried on the x curve at the outdoor show and tried on the Kifaru today at their store. Guess i gotta make that list and figure it out. I have an exo now and it just doesn't fit my back, great pack though. I live in my pack and both frames fit very similar.

On the bright side, you can't lose. Both great packs, and easy to resell at a good value.

between the SG 5900 with xcurve and the Kifaru duplex with the Woodsman bag..

if the woodsman is the bag you are comparing to that 5900 i would choose the SG for sure....

the best thing is i don't think you can lose with either one of the brands you are choosing between.
i wold love to try that new sg with the 5900
good luck

Bughalli

WKR
Ive been following this post as im between the SG 5900 with xcurve and the Kifaru duplex with the Woodsman bag.. i honestly cant make the decision myself either.

I'm surprised you are comparing the SG 5900 to the Woodsman. Pretty different in size. The Reckoning is more comparable in size. That's the comparison I ended with as my last two choices. I think the weight difference has me leaning toward the SG because most other features are on par with eachother.

I'm surprised you are comparing the SG 5900 to the Woodsman. Pretty different in size. The Reckoning is more comparable in size. That's the comparison I ended with as my last two choices. I think the weight difference has me leaning toward the SG because most other features are on par with eachother.

Originally i was looking at the Reckoning however when i saw the bag it defiantly seemed bulkier, plus i dont see the point in the zipper all the way up. The woodsman i can put stuff under the pack like my tent and so forth so the bag space isnt as important. Granted the 5900 fold down in bivy mode is pretty small. I hunt a lot of steep nasty thick country, a more streamlined bag is important.

After making my list and checking it twice...i think the SG 5900 is the way to go. It elevates the need for two bags which would have most likely been my need with the Kifaru. The 5900 can run small for those 1-3 day hunts, and is big enough to handle those 10 day hunts. Also, when apples to apples, the kifaru is almost 2lbs heavier and the load shelf feature on the SG just seems more thought out, and i can run it with out the bag right?...which is nice if so..

Is anyone running the Large Waist belt on the SG Xcurve, looking for some info on size difference between the Large and the Medium
thanks

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Trigger mag, the Large belt is exactly two inches longer on each side, a total of 4 inches longer overall compared to the Medium.
Kurt

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
You people are the worst...I have a Kifaru hunter frame and woodsman that I'm very happy with. BUT I am bored so I decide to read through this thread and you are talking about buy both and see which fits best...blah blah blah...the SG is 2 lbs lighter...blah blah blah. Well it's winter and I am bored and have been looking at smaller daypack, EDG, carry-on sized bags and came across the Avail 2200. It seems like it would be the perfect smaller bag I am looking for. Well it just so happens it connects to the SG frame which would make for a great hauler/daypack at a significant weigh savings over what I have currently. I was set to order the Avail but what the heck throw in the Xcurve too!!! If my wife only knew what rokslide was she would probably put a lock on our internet so that I couldn't access it. :)