Montana Elk Question

Planning my first trip to Montana for either archery or rifle elk, still undecided maybe both! Looking at some ares around Dillon and i was wondering if any of you have any experience in this area, like unit 325. Wondering how busy it gets during hunting season and also how the elk and deer numbers are for that unit. Also looking at the bridgers and big belts so any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

OP
E
Might do big belts as first choice now for an archery hunt, hoping to take a family trip out this summer, any advice on things to see around Bozeman or white sulphur springs?

hobbes

WKR
Ive never been to it, but there is the hot springs at white sulphur springs that may interest you. You are closer to tourist attractions if you stay in Bozeman ( Yellowstone, Lewis and Clark Caverns, etc.) and I know my wife would prefer Bozeman over White Sulphur if I was calling it a vacation. Id be in some trouble if I left my family in White Sulphur while I was hiking the mountains scouting during our vacation.

As far as hunting, Ive not hunted near Dillon but I have hunted the Big Belts. Ive not hunted the east side by white sulphur but instead the west side. There are elk to be found and Ive had some good hunts in archery, but Ive had my share of quiet elk free days also. All the western drainages have roads, so there arent many roadless areas. Some of the atv trails are open in archery but closed in rifle. The area has its share of pressure out of Helena and Townsend, but it isnt unbearable in archery. There is more pressure in rifle. You can glass a lot of country in the Big Belts, but I still find most elk with boot leather and my ears during archery.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bozeman is a ways off from the Belts- Helena (or White Sulphur) are much closer, Bozeman area is a nice place to visit though :)

OP
E
Any good inexpensive places to stay? Anywhere from Bozeman up to Helena or white sulphur springs, cabin or campground?

hobbes

WKR
I think you'll be spending a minimum of about 90 a night anywhere, but some places will be a lot more. The closer you get to Yellowstone or Glacier the price will increase.
I think the KOA at Townsend/Canyon Ferry has one and two room camping cabins. There is also a small hotel The Mustang in Townsend. White Sulpher has a couple hotels. The All Seasons looks ok, but I think one of the places has some cabins also. I think there is a motel tied into the hot springs. Helena and Bozeman will have a full assortment of hotels to choose from. Townsend wouldn't exactly be a place to leave the wife and kids for a long period of time if that's your plan while scouting around the mountains, but I do recommend the donuts at the Mountie Moose Bakery.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you won't find anything reasonable in Bozeman- especially summer; Townsend and White Sulpher you will, but be prepared it might take you back a couple of decades :D

Helena will offer "regular" hotels, more reasonably priced than Bozeman, but not cheap

Lots (and lots) of camping opportunities in and around the Belts- check the Forest Service site for a list of campsites

OP
E
Looks like camping it is! Do you know of any places that do trail rides in the big belts? Might be a good way to get a lay of the land and maybe a few tips from the guides on elk movement in the area! Im pumped as this will be my first archery elk hunt, looking forward to hearing some bugling bulls.

hobbes

WKR
I dont know much on trail rides. A quick Google search shows Summer Star Ranch near Helena and Montana Cattle Drive out of Townsend, but I think its a multiple day trip. However they may know of or offer shorter trips

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
might also look at the Montana Outfitters site- many outfitters supplement income in the summer with horse trips- of course they may try to lure you into an outfitted hunt too :D

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
no hunting experience there, but we frequent the Pioneer Mtns a lot in the summer- some nice backpacking and fishing w/is lot of folks (save the Big Hole proper- lots of fishing pressure there) and almost always see elk/sign. But, I know a lot people that hunt around there ( mind you “the Dillon area” encompasses a lot of country) and my impression is while there are good elk numbers, also a lot of hunters- thus I’ve stayed away.

It could be different archery hunting however???

slowelk

WKR
Hunting 325 will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth about MT hunting. It's overrun with road hunters, and the stories of hunters surrounding herds and firing come from that area (among others) - I avoid it at all costs. If that area appeals to you due to logistics, the Blacktails in 325 can hold a lot of the pressured elk that are chased off of the BLM land there, and the road hunters do not pursue those elk. The Ruby Range is another area that is productive and in that same general area, but grizzlies are abundant.

OP
E
That does not sound good if there are that many road hunters and that pressures of elk, along with grizzly I may have to stick with big belts

Wapiti406

WKR
That does not sound good if there are that many road hunters and that pressures of elk, along with grizzly I may have to stick with big belts

If you want to stay away from road hunters and over pressure the Belts probably are not what you are looking for. Its an absolute circus of people on opening weekend. Most of the gulches will have 2 or 3 pickups everyday through the season. Killing a bull up there after the first two days of rifle season gets very difficult, regardless of how far from the road you are. What bull there are, don't live long. Most get killed at 2.5 years. I hunted the belts a lot when I was younger but it's way over hunted, and they don't hold the elk like they did 15+ years ago. I'm not trying to scare you away, just being honest. It's extremely pressured and contrary to what the geniuses at FWP say, there's not a lot of elk in the mountains themselves.

hi2u

FNG
If you want to stay away from road hunters and over pressure the Belts probably are not what you are looking for. Its an absolute circus of people on opening weekend. Most of the gulches will have 2 or 3 pickups everyday through the season. Killing a bull up there after the first two days of rifle season gets very difficult, regardless of how far from the road you are. What bull there are, don't live long. Most get killed at 2.5 years. I hunted the belts a lot when I was younger but it's way over hunted, and they don't hold the elk like they did 15+ years ago. I'm not trying to scare you away, just being honest. It's extremely pressured and contrary to what the geniuses at FWP say, there's not a lot of elk in the mountains themselves.

They all go to private in Montana? Have wanted to go to Montana as well, until I read that haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti406

WKR
They all go to private in Montana? Have wanted to go to Montana as well, until I read that haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying the whole state is like that, but the Big Belts get hit pretty hard.

OP
E
What about little belts? I was always told they get hit hard and not so much by big belts. Maybe i need to look harder at the little belts too.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my Little Belt knowledge is from the mid 80's so guessing it doesn't apply now, but there was some pressure back then, but I didn't think all that much- especially if one was willing to walk- killed several elk in the Little Belts (but a long time ago)