Back pack stove

JigStick

WKR
I started with an Optimus Nova +, then switched to the MSR Reactor. And most recently to the Snow Peak Litemax. I use one of the titanium cook sets available on amazon. All have their particular niche uses.

GregB

WKR
I use an MSR pocket rocket and a Stanley pot when I'm solo and a Camp Chef Stryker if my kids are coming along. I use a collapsible cup or mug for coffee.

Akicita

WKR
When going light and fast - Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo Cookset with Snow Peak Giga Power stove

When going above tree line or anytime in the winter - MSR Windburner

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I have run in order a MSR Pocket Rocket then a Mini Esbit. No complaints on either except the Esbit was terribly slow below mid 30's F. I now have a Pocket Rocket 2 that I have yet to run in real conditions. I got it for the size and weight savings and I expect the usual burly quality and reliability that they are renowned for. I use a Snow Pack 700 Titanium Trek mug for boiling water for everything and I won't be changing anytime soon as I have no reason. I also use an MSR cup for my morning and afternoon coffee. It is older and smaller than their current Titan cup but very similar.

I am a fan of the 2 container system because I want the ability to have my coffee prepping while I boil water for a dehydrated meal.

I nest the Pocket Rocket 2 inside the MSR cup with a wool glove, then I slip those into the Snow Peak 700. Very tidy package and the wool glove does double duty as insulation for picking up a hot cup/mug and it deadens the rattle and noise perfectly. I put it all in a gallon ziplock bag along with my fuel canister and wrap it tight.

All in all I am very happy with the simplicity and the reliability of the whole system.

With that being said there are quite a few complete sets (bigger mug and smaller cup) available that would do just as good of a job, and if I was looking to change they would fit the bill.
Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700 Mug - REI.com

robtattoo

WKR
Volcano Lite mini burner stove & a Primus TiTech 1l pot
I also carry a small Toaks titanium mug so I can enjoy a hot coffee or tea while I'm cooking.
The whole setup is (iirc) 6½oz plus gas.

Been very happy with this budget setup for the last 3 years.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My little Giga has been going over two decades pot, one can of fuel and burner is a nice light weight setup even for a day hunt...nothing like a fire or something warm to brighten the mindset👍