Pack Selection for Swamp Donkey

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
After much debate, I decided to post this over here since my question is directly related to Moose hunting. If a moderator wishes to move this to backpacks I understand. I have never taken a moose. I used to have a Barneys, but could never get the belt to ride right. End up tightening it to the point of bruising, and it would still slip. I then caught the bug and went to a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. Too short, with zero load lifting capability. I stumbled onto Hill People Gear, and found them to be big fans of older Dana Designs externals. Externals seem to be king up here in AK. After much tinkering, I have gotten a nice set up working utilizing Kifaru components on the Dana pack. This fall I was lucky enough to take a bull caribou, and was able to give it a small workout-- probably 60lbs was heaviest pack weight. I really like the looks of the Kifaru frame, but have a really hard time believing it wouldn't deform under major weight like a moose quarter. What are you guys using to haul moose quarters? Am I just getting swooned by the bright and shiny Duplex frame? Fit is the biggest issue for me. Post up your moose packs!

duchntr

WKR
Ive been really happy with my seek pack, no belt slip and no bruising. If the duplex fits you go for it, I've used it on moose up to 100+lb loads for short walks under 3mi and it was pretty good but could never get rid of the waist belt discomfort I got from the K frames so I moved on. Its all about finding what fits you best and the only way to know is spend time under it with weight.

Manosteel

WKR
The kifaru frame will easily handle a moose quarter. It will load more than you can handle. Just google some kifaru frame pics, you will see some pretty incredible loads being carried out. Every year I load out elk and moose with me. Couldn't be happier.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a Bull-Pac frame for the last couple of years and it has handled numerous hind quarters both in the Yukon and Saskatchewan. That being said I'm looking at ponying up the cash for a Kifaru duplex and a cargo panel for next year to see what all the hype is about.

That advantage to a external over the smaller Kifaru type frames isn't so much the carrying part IMO, it's all about how well you can strap a quarter to the frame. A few straps or some cord will tie a moose quarter, 60" rack, or big brown bear hide to a frame relatively easily and solidly and keep it all stable when you walk. And the big barneys bags have huge openings that will swallow most bulky loads without messing around. But if it doesn't work for you, then it just doesn't work.

I've managed to haul some big loads on the skinny and more flexible Stone Glacier frame, and no question lots of people have used the Kifaru frames. If it rides better, then I'm sure the frame strength itself won't be an issue.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
I own a new kifaru and a new barney pack. I prefer the barney for moose.

I just killed and packed out a mature bull last week. My pack is the new Mystery Ranch Pintler and it handled the meat (all of it) superbly. I have never carried moose meat with greater comfort, even on my Barney's frame.

What I liked about the Pintler for moose: I didn't need a big pack. I didn't backpack in to where I hunted. I don't hunt far from camp for moose as they are simply too big to pack in from miles out. I like it when 600 pounds of meat gets carried most of the way to camp by a live bull coming in to my calls. Anyway...a 2500+ sized bag is more than adequate for my day-long moose hunt. The Pintler has the new Guide Light frame and I personally loved it. Very strong but some torsional flex...just enough to be comfortable under load.

This pack uses 6 connection points to drop the pack bag. I loaded meat between frame and pack bag, then flip the bag up and reconnect all buckles. My boned moose meat carried high and comfortably instead of the typical blob starting below my scaps and ballooning out near my lower back. I carried ten consecutive bags of meat with no issues. After that I cinched the moose skull into the pack using the same method. It carried superbly without undue floppiness or wiggle. I was pretty much amazed...I am always the skeptic about packs.

Packing deboned meat is the same no matter what it comes off of pretty much.

Quite a few of the popular moose units in AK require meat to be salvaged on the bone. Including ribs in most of them. Thus the more awkward loads that the extra height and width of a frame can help support. Odds are the MR would still work fine, since it basically IS a frame pack though. Would just need the straps to be long enough to reach around a moose ham.

Good work handling a moose by yourself. That's no small task.

hodgeman

WKR
I've been using a Mystery Ranch NICE frame with a Load Sling for several years. Numerous caribou and at least 5 moose on it. No issue strapping any sort of odd shaped quarter or rack to it. I hunt in a unit where ribs and quarters have to come out on bone. The load sling straps are plenty long enough to wrap around whatever obstacle is there. I use a Big Horn for a day pack/light hauler and keep the NICE in camp for heavy hauling. I will eventually move to something like the Pintler for an "all in one".

I know for certain the Guide Light frame and Pintler bag (system) would handle a bone-in moose quarter. The issue as always is weight and bulk. The webbing attachments would secure it fine. Would I enjoy lifting it into place and carrying it? No way. The new MR pack is built stone tough and easy to use. I have a Barney's Freighter Frame I like a lot and it's probably the best straight-out frame I've ever owned or seen. I suspect I'll be selling it now as I won't have a use for it.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Due to the awkward size of the moose I think I'd prefer a big external. Even the strongest person is looking at 6 loads (bone in) so it's hard to figure a trip where you'd be packing very far. In fact I often take a fairly uncomfortable but compact American WWII pack-board made from plywood with a canvas stretched back. I like it's quick release feature as I have got mired in mud and worried about falling face first and drowning. That would be a bad way to go and another reason to bring or cut some walking sticks. Of course I am a canoe hunter and that has a lot to do with my choice.

Being able to easily drop the load is an essential feature in mud or creek crossings and though you can un-do the waist straps on any pack sometimes the bad footing sneaks up on you.

bairdi

FNG
I've been using a barney's pack for 10 or so years for both Moose and sheep hunting. However, it has never fit quite right. Similar to you, I could never get the hip belt to stay on my hips. After multiple attempts at adjusting it, I finally just went down to Barney's and in less than 5 mins, they had it adjusted correctly again. Before you give up on the Barney's, swing by and see if they can re-adjust it for you. I always liked it for heavy loads, but now it's even better!!

jherald

WKR
123_1.jpg

The internal/external hybrid packs can haul just fine. Hiked loads like this an honest mile through uneven terrain and brush, for several trips.

jherald

WKR
All I've owned has been Stone Glacier and now Exo, their frames are all one size with adjustment in the suspension. I cant speak for other brands. I've had great luck with both packs but prefer the fit of the Exo on my 5'9" frame.