Another DIY Stove

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats cool, that would be perfect when your not in a hurry, save on fuel if your waiting on dehydrated food instead of freeze dried.
If you are really in a pinch you can set your stove outside without the smoke stack and put your pot directly over the hole for the chimney. It works a good bit quicker but soots up your cup.

Built mine this weekend. Instead of using all thread to hold it together I used stainless steel wire. (Yes it is similar to the new kifaru). I worked up my own way of using the stove to cook off though. I like the idea of using the light weight stove to warm up my tent but also like the option to cook off it so I worked up a sweet little "stand" to hold my cup while it cooks. I will post up some pictures later. Thanks to all who posted in this thread.

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody tried hose clampa around the ends? Pretty sure you can get them in stainless

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinkin to go around the stove body or pipe instead of the cable?
While I'm sure they would work, the reason for the body cables is just to hold the body's form and size while not really clamping anything. Hose clamps that size would weigh a good bit more than cables, while providing no real structural value to the stove.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Agreed. I have been ditching the body rings and it has not been a problem using the all thread to contain the body in the end plates. I am going to build a couple larger ones with a few tweaks in the next couple weeks (if I can find the time) and I will post up some more pictures.

Did the first burn in tonight. Here is the almost complete product. I just need to finish up the door.
351b974ddbdd3a85ac6d9c385131263a.jpg
570cbf7153c1b4c0bcadf5a299306182.jpg
86de25ca9dc9f1add49c49bce4439019.jpg
fc96e0cef10bee12e42f0eb444abbb18.jpg

colonel00

WKR
Did the first burn in tonight. Here is the almost complete product. I just need to finish up the door.

Looks good. How are you liking using the wires to hold the ends on? What kind of wire are you using? What supports your chimney or does it just sit on the stove body?

Looks good. How are you liking using the wires to hold the ends on? What kind of wire are you using? What supports your chimney or does it just sit on the stove body?

I think they will work pretty good. Due to the body being made of thin stainless I will say that if you go too tight it starts ripping the metal. There is a balance that you have to watch. for the wire I picked up some stainless steel wire. As for the support for the chimney it just sits around my dampener set up which sits on the stove body. It makes a little impression but not too bad.

colonel00

WKR
I thought I would add this here. While playing around the other day I realized that these burner cover plates are magnetic. So, I used a little JB Weld to attach a magnet that holds the door closed. I also fashioned an air control wheel.

20150927_150341_zps1t6ibgg6.jpg

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Here are a few more pics and a quick update. Somehow I had forgotten that heat can affect magnets and sure enough, the little magnet was rendered useless. I may just go back to a simple latch to hold the door closed. Overall, I liked the adjustable air flow. That along with the damper should allow for better control of the fire.

Here it is setup with the legs. I think I may change the legs a little from Brian's design as I found it slightly unstable the way it just sits there and the front leg actually popped off while I was messing with the stove.

20150927_171418_zpsptv1lyh6.jpg

Here is a size comparison next to my smaller plate.

20150927_171423_zpsql9x4ldz.jpg

Action shot :)

20150927_175424_zpszsssq77z.jpg

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR