Budget elk hunt?

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys think is a reasonable budget for a DIY over the counter or easy to draw elk hunt? I know the tag and license will run $500-$1000 depending on what state.

Could you hunt for $1500 per person? $2000? $2500?

I would be coming from CA so I would have to include transportation into the budget. What states should I focus on? We have one point in WY.

I would be open to backpacking, car camping, or cheep motel or cabin. I also have a travel trailer so I could bring that.

Archery or rifle would be fine. I just want a chance to get into some elk. Trophy quality doesn't concern me too much.

I would be sharing the cost with one or two other hunters.

I would not be including any new gear into the budget because I see that as more of an investment and I have most of the big ticket items already.

weaver

WKR
Diy elk in in Idaho or WY is well under $1500 if i can get somebody to go with me....not counting gear. I live in OH
I almost never stay in a motel.

Lawnboi

WKR
I live half way across the US, DIY is not that expensive. 2 guys, little over 1 g for me to hunt, that's with another guy to split gas with.

Tag is the most expensive thing, and the gear if you don't already have it.

This is all backpacking. So once were out there it's free. Besides a hotel for the way back.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Three guys splitting gas makes travel pretty cheap. If you don't stay in hotels, you can do it for around $1-1.5k per guy including tags pretty easy.

rodney482

WKR
I can do a 10 day backcountry trip for $1200

gas and tag...

Lots of public ground out there.

jmez

WKR
Probably about $10K-$12k as you'll get hooked and start buying all kinds of stuff it is simply impossible to hunt without.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The biggest two costs are tag and fuel. But at least those are pretty finite as far as knowing what it should be going in. Coming from CA to let's say CO, I'd say that 2-4 guys could easily get it done for under a grand each. Tag ~$600, fuel split, then some food. Not much else for expense unless you need specific gear, or need some repairs while you're here. Being a resident, my biggest expense by far is fuel.......especially if I hunt most of the season going up and back a few times.

If your coming from CA why are you driving right buy oregon and Idaho? Both have OTC tags available with good numbers of elk in areas, even more so if your an archery hunter.

OP
G

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
If your coming from CA why are you driving right buy oregon and Idaho? Both have OTC tags available with good numbers of elk in areas, even more so if your an archery hunter.

To tell you the truth I don't really know. The only place I have seen elk outside of California is Wyoming so I was sort-of gravitating to that but I would be open to other states.

Oregon would be ideal as far as travel but it never really crossed my mind because you don't hear about too many out of state hunters going there. ID would be fine too it is beautiful country my wife and I fell in love with it when we drove through on our way to Yellowstone.

I think my biggest worry at this point is that the people that I would be going with aren't as excited about going elk hunting as I am. Sure they want to go but I'm just not sure they will put in the kind of pre season work it takes to be successful. My dad is not in the kind of shape you would need to do a backcountry hunt which is fine because if I decide to do that kind of hunt he will just stay home. My friend could be in shape for it but I'm not sure if he is that fired up.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
A friend and I hunted CO this year from CA. $1100 for gas and groceries split, $600 tag, $60 nite for a cabin to myself (could have shared this if my partner wasnt such a pig, what can I say, he drove), $125 to processor. Right at $1800, I'm sure I'm overlooking a couple hundred in small change.
What I spent on gear? Don't get me started.

Bubba

FNG
Goldenarrow, are you looking for an archery hunt or rifle? Are you set up for backpack hunting? What part of California do you live in? I'm live in the bay area...

My Brother and I do a backpack hunt every year to Idaho for elk. The total trip costs about 800 each. Very little expense when you hunt off your back.

OP
G

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Im in Madera (just north of Fresno)

I would prefer to do a backpack hunt but I am not sure if my partner is up to it and I don't want to go out of state elk hunting without a partner. I don't think I could pack an elk out by myself unless it wasn't very far in.

I'm pretty well set for backpack hunting. I did my first backpack hunt for deer in d7 this year and I got my first archery buck. Solo. There are things I would like to upgrade but nothing that I need.

OP
G

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Archery or rifle. Either one is fine with me I just want to do something with a reasonable chance of success if I work hard enough.

Bubba

FNG
Goldenarrow,

I have hunted Idaho the last few years and have seen elk every time. I would say that you could do a trip easy under 1000 to Idaho. Don't let the wolves scare you away. A few tips for Idaho....

Look for areas that are Roadless
If you are going to hunt Idaho fore sure put in for the draw hunts.
Back packing hunting will get you away from the crowds (archery).
Be ready for weather change at anytime.

Bubba

Two people should be able to do it for $1500 easy. I'm across the country and have never spent more than $1800 unless I wanted to. Three people should make it cheaper.
If you don't/can't backpack in there are plenty of places to camp for free.

I am budgeting $850 for my Idaho archery elk hunt this year. Montana would run me about $1200 if I did the deer/elk combo license.

Really, other than my tag/license costs, all I spend is gas money and maybe a heart attack in a sack while I'm driving.

dotman

WKR
Depending on the state I'm hunting I usually budget $1000 - $1400 for a solo trip. I don't include food cause you have to eat anyway and I deduct my normal weekly fuel cost that I would spend if I was home.

Shrek

WKR
Keep in mind that if you want a motel room there will be very limited availability during hunting season at the cheap motels. Equipment fails or weather turns extreme and you need to come off the mountain you need to be prepared to sleep in your vehicle .