Mountain rifle, scope for a 7prc

id450

WKR
Looking to keep a scope on the lighter end for packing. Primarily elk and bear rifle but would like to balance magnification for long range practice and fun. Begara squared crest.

ultimately what would you get into. Budget up to $2500( for discussion purposes )
Requirements -
2nd focal plane
Exposed MOA elevation turret to dial
Parallax

Nice to have -
Etched reticle
Zero stop
Locking turret

Any thoughts on the Veracity PH, I like the idea but hate the thought of a battery. Will it be legal everywhere ?
I have the regular veracity on a another rifle.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm an FFP Mil guy, so I'll preface my post by pointing out that there might be other SFP MOA options out there that haven't shown up on my radar.

Based on your stated criteria, I'd be looking for a SWFA 3-15. At one point they were available SFP MOA. I had one back in the day. They are about the most lightweight, reliable dialing scope you'll find in that X range. There's better glass than the SWFA Classics out there, but I've found them to be plenty serviceable, and they're most impressive where it counts: Reliability.

If you don't have use for as much X, NF makes some nice MOA SFP 3-10 range scopes in the NXS and SHV lines. I have several, and they've proven to be great scopes.

There’s a lot better scope than SWFA out there. He has a good budget I would be looking at a Swaro Z5, Zeiss or leupold.

There’s a lot better scope than SWFA out there. He has a good budget I would be looking at a Swaro Z5, Zeiss or leupold.

Largely depends on your definition of better.

I didn't have great experiences with multiples of the first and last brands you have listed; as such, I don't regard them as better than the SWFA. I wouldn't argue that the view is better with other brands, but I would argue that glass quality is at best an ancillary part of the riflescope quality equation. You're only looking through one for maybe minutes, not hours like a spotter or binos. Glass that is good enough to see the target through is all that's required. Much more impactful are ruggedness, tracking, rtz, etc.

I did use a Japan built Z4 Zeiss for a time and found it to be a very good scope. Moved on only due to not caring for SFP.

Compare the weight of the Swaro Z5 to the SWFA HD ( close to the same price and power) there’s a 14oz difference. Pretty sure that SWFA is a Japan made glass by kenco optics. I’m not saying that they are a bad scope but if I was spending 1200-1500 on a scope it wouldn’t be SWFA that’s just my choice. Good luck to OP there’s lots of choices out there.

I think its really tough to beat the Trijicon Credo, its a pretty good package of performance, durability, weight, and cost.
I agree. I really wanted to like the FFP Trijicon I tried but I found the reticle a bit thin on low X for hunting in thick cover. Not an issue with the SFP offerings.

I still like a scope to be capable if I want to follow a set of tracks in the snow through timber, so low X performance is always factored in on most of my big game rigs. For more open country it might not be worth considering. I'll admit that I hunted with various 6x's over 15 years, and never missed an opportunity because of it, so maybe I make a bigger issue out of visibility below 5 or 6x than I should. Like most, I just want it all!

OP
I

id450

WKR
A few good ideas, I’ll check them out,