12 Year son - 1st Rifle elk or CO eastern Whitetail ??

Titan_Bow

WKR
I had put my little boy, who turned 12 this year, in for a 1st rifle cow tag in Unit 16, because its where I archery elk hunt. The spot I am familiar with is pretty high elevation, and the elk are usually there in 1st-2nd week of October if the weather is pretty mild. My dilemna is this, he also has a Unit 91 archery deer tag, and he really wants to connect with a buck with his bow. We are taking next weekend through Wednesday off work and school, initially with the intent of going up for cow elk. However, with the recent cold and snow, I am concerned there is going to be quite a bit of snow and my little guy is really not all that excited about it. He seems way more excited about chasing deer with his bow. (we've been out this past weekend and saw 3 bucks)
So, I guess my questions are: With the recent wintery weather in Colorado, do you think the elk will still be up in the wilderness areas and higher elevations? What would you do in this scenario? Go with what your son seems to be more excited about, or drag him along into the elk woods, and hope he enjoys it as much as probably would deer hunting??

Vids

WKR
Hard to say if the elk will still be up high, I don't know what the snow depth is in your area. I *think* unit 16 has gotten a decent amount of snow in these last two storms so it's possible they may have moved down. Go to this site and find a weather station near where you hunt to see the snow depth.

NRCS National Water and Climate Center | SNOTEL Data & Products

If it were me, I would tell him what you're thinking and ask what he wants to do. 12 is pretty young and the worst thing would be to take him on a hunt that he's not as excited about and ends up not being a fun time. He has plenty of years ahead of him to hunt elk, might as well keep stoking the hunting fire with whatever gets him excited.

It's his hunt. Let him pick. If he gets a buck early, maybe he will be more excited to try to complete the combo. Mostly, make it something he enjoys doing and will remember fondly.

cnelk

WKR
Unit 91 is a blast for kids - Lots of deer. Are you thinking Tamarack Unit?

My son shot his first WT buck there a couple years ago.

Elk hunting with kids is waaaay different than hunting by yourself or other adults.
I heard that there is no less than 14" of snow at lower elevations in NP

Good luck in what HE decides to do

From what I've seen with elk hunts and kids, you want perfect weather. Sure you don't want to spoon feed them, but shitty weather, elk, and young kids is a recipe for disaster been there 3 times.

That deer tag is a good one, but I'd try and get him out there in November unless you want to avoid the cold. Night and day difference between now and then.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
I have been hunting the Tamarack every 3 years or so, its really awesome that kids can get preference. We actually hunted out there this weekend, saw 7 deer in 3 sits. Thanks for everyones feedback, I am going to talk to him tonight, and definitely not pressure him to do something he is not excited to do.

I got an email from the Steamboat resort that they had 17" a week ago. I realize that's unit 14 but it was probably similar on the 16 side.