2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I just shot my 5th shot and it wasn't great. Like hunting, you can't take it back though! I've got some work to do. I was planning on going hard for antelope with archery tackle this year. Thanks to Robby, Travis, and Rokslide for putting this on. It has given me another tool to help me better myself. Also, thanks to all the sponsors that helped put this on. It's cool to see them supporting something simple like this, especially when the country is half shut down!

Nice shooting guys!

Interesting on the cold weather comment. I just started using the wraps....I guess I’ll test that hypothesis in the coming year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a wrap your glue is only as good as the wrap. In colder weather it seems to me it gets a little brittle. The edge of the vane can create a stress riser on the wrap that I think makes it easier for them to tear off. Seems fine in warmer weather. Might be in my head and it's just as likely to happen at anytime.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Here’s one for everyone. I had my bow in its soft case, zipped half way on each said because my Bino harness is in it and I was too lazy to zip it. It was sitting against some stuff in the back of my suv with the hatch open when I walked back in the house it fell over and landed on the sight!!! Dinged the crap out of my housing. I was pretty confident it knocked it off zero and I was right. 5” high and 5” right. Still shot my 5th arrow then shot field points at some POI. Made the adjustment in 6 arrows then shot a 3” group at my MER and busted a nock. Figures. Should I shoot another arrow tomorrow for #5 or just leave it as is? First arrow that didn’t hit the 7” kill zone.
984718D2-05CF-47D6-90FD-A81E48231CBF.jpeg
C063A45C-C14E-4251-BA32-B6D5B1147874.jpeg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here’s one for everyone. I had my bow in its soft case, zipped half way on each said because my Bino harness is in it and I was too lazy to zip it. It was sitting against some stuff in the back of my suv with the hatch open when I walked back in the house it fell over and landed on the sight!!! Dinged the crap out of my housing. I was pretty confident it knocked it off zero and I was right. 5” high and 5” right. Still shot my 5th arrow then shot field points at some POI. Made the adjustment in 6 arrows then shot a 3” group at my MER and busted a nock. Figures. Should I shoot another arrow tomorrow for #5 or just leave it as is? First arrow that didn’t hit the 7” kill zone.
View attachment 173542
View attachment 173543
If I understand your post, your site got knocked off between arrow four and five? and you shot those other arrows after 5th shot?

So you were still qualified when you shot your fifth arrow, so don’t shoot anymore, or you’ll have to restart the challenge with five more arrows. You’re still in the spirit of the challenge, because you just experienced an equipment failure. Make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Makes sense Robbie! Yes all 5 arrows were shot according to the rules and the adjustment was made after the 5th shot.

Beendare

WKR

Or it is good to get in as much practice in as many "real world" terrain situations as you can as well as some laps on the range. Cool deal to see these shoots now where it is easier for folks to plan and get in some real wold shooting time.

Real world scenarios are the way to go of course. Notice how almost all of us are shooting at even yardage...that doesn't happen in the real world.....

I'm guilty of doing it here myself....but before a hunt, I set up a couple 3D targets in the woods for real world shots, Its humbling...just like the cold bow challenge.

_______

Just finished my last shot. Thanks for putting on such a great challenge.

I did no shoot near as well as I had hoped. It has inspired me to use this challenge at the beginning of every practice session. I will also be shooting my broadheads much more extensively in coming months!

Also the wraps aren't as durable in my experience, especially when cold.

I used Bohning wraps, fletchtite and Blazer vanes on a -40* polar bear hunt in February '18 on the ice outside Resolute, Nunavut. No issues with anything. Wouldn't want to hunt when it was any colder that is for sure.