300 Weatherby help

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Weatherby 7mm mag. I was never happy with the accuracy of it until I switched to The Barnes 150 gr TTSX. It’s the only bullet that will consistently print consistent 3/4” groups. I shot plenty of 2.5” groups with a handful of other bullets I tried including Berger Classics, Accubonds, Partitions and Interlocks. I have read that the TTSX does well with the extra freebore. You might try them if you haven’t already.

Last edited:
OP
W

wgood

FNG
I have a Weatherby 7mm mag. I was never happy with the accuracy of it until I switched to The Barnes 150 gr TTSX. It’s the only bullet that will consistently print consistent 3/4” groups. I shot plenty of 2.5” groups with a handful of other bullets I tried including Berger Classics, Accubonds, Partitions and Interlocks. I have read that the TTSX does well with the extra freebore. You might try them if you haven’t already.

I may have to give them a try then, at this point I'm up to try anything, it's a beautiful rifle but if I can't get it to shoot then it's a waste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wgood

FNG
So I went out yesterday with some new loads. Tried some 165 gr Interlocks behind 4831 (the most accurate load listed by Nosler). And I also tried some 7828 behind the 180 Accubonds. The interlocks grouped slightly better, maybe 2-2.5". The load with 7828 was perfectly in line horozontally but was almost 6 inches in vertical stringing. I loaded up two batches of these and myself and another shot them to take shooter error out of the equation. Not sure what that much vertical stringing means, but I loaded some 165's up behind 7828 today and seated them as long as I possibly could to see if that would work. I remembered my buddy had a 338-378 and the factory ammo is so long they have to be slightly canted in order to be loaded in the magazine, so I tried that and may try it with the accubonds as well

elkguide

WKR
You may have a cleaning issue. When was the last time that you thoroughly cleaned the barrel? I've seen some barrels that shot well and after as few as 10 shots, had a hard time finding the paper.

My cleaning formula:

1. Run a patch saturated with Kroil through the bore.
2. Impregnate a patch with JB bore paste and short stroke the length of the barrel. Look in the end of the barrel and see if you can see any copper streaks. If not, proceed. If you see copper, repeat the JB treatment.
3. Run a couple of individual patches saturated with Kroil through the bore.
4. Dry the bore with one to two patches.
5. Use two small drops of Kroil on a patch and run it through the bore prior to shooting (or use a patch saturated with Lock-Ease).

That's it. No magic. I don't think any of it is cast in cement. I usually run a couple of Kroil patches at first until I get one that isn't too dirty, then go to the JBs.

mtmuley

WKR
Bore paste is abrasive. A last resort at best. Just clean with a good copper solvent. Wipeout works well also. mtmuley

start about .040 off the lands with the 180 accubonds.
use some imr 7828 and start at 69 grains and work up in .5 gr increments until you reach 76 gr or so.. you should find something your rifle likes.. and if you find pressure before 76 gr, don't shoot any more. go with the best group and tune with seating depth.

OP
W

wgood

FNG
You may have a cleaning issue. When was the last time that you thoroughly cleaned the barrel? I've seen some barrels that shot well and after as few as 10 shots, had a hard time finding the paper.

My cleaning formula:

1. Run a patch saturated with Kroil through the bore.
2. Impregnate a patch with JB bore paste and short stroke the length of the barrel. Look in the end of the barrel and see if you can see any copper streaks. If not, proceed. If you see copper, repeat the JB treatment.
3. Run a couple of individual patches saturated with Kroil through the bore.
4. Dry the bore with one to two patches.
5. Use two small drops of Kroil on a patch and run it through the bore prior to shooting (or use a patch saturated with Lock-Ease).

That's it. No magic. I don't think any of it is cast in cement. I usually run a couple of Kroil patches at first until I get one that isn't too dirty, then go to the JBs.

I've been cleaning it about every 10 shots or so. I've been using Hoppes Benchrest and it seems like there is a lot of copper in the barrel even after only 10, but after I run it down I can't see any visible copper whatsoever

OP
W

wgood

FNG
start about .040 off the lands with the 180 accubonds.
use some imr 7828 and start at 69 grains and work up in .5 gr increments until you reach 76 gr or so.. you should find something your rifle likes.. and if you find pressure before 76 gr, don't shoot any more. go with the best group and tune with seating depth.

Is it going to be possible to get that close to the lands with the amount of freebore for the weatherbys?

WKR
I had the exact same Remington that was built in the 80s. Using 7828 and 180 ballistic tips, it shot consistently right at 1" unbedded and untweaked. If you have checked the stock for any cracks around the recoil lug, all action screws are tight, you have quality and solid scope mounts installed properly and a proven scope on it, then I'd rebarrel it or sell it. The one I had was a kicking sob and I sold mine pretty quickly.

I used to chase this stuff as well, but after adding up my time, components, gas to the range and general frustration level with it, I trip stuff pretty quick if it doesn't shoot well easily. YMMV of course.

Vertical stringing could be a hot barrel? Just a guess but I'd let it completely cool between shots and see what happens.

Also - how heavy a pull is your trigger?

OP
W

wgood

FNG
Vertical stringing could be a hot barrel? Just a guess but I'd let it completely cool between shots and see what happens.

Also - how heavy a pull is your trigger?

It could be that, but I've tried both letting it cool and shooting them fairly quick. And the trigger is fairly light, not exactly sure what it is but it's smooth

OP
W

wgood

FNG
I had the exact same Remington that was built in the 80s. Using 7828 and 180 ballistic tips, it shot consistently right at 1" unbedded and untweaked. If you have checked the stock for any cracks around the recoil lug, all action screws are tight, you have quality and solid scope mounts installed properly and a proven scope on it, then I'd rebarrel it or sell it. The one I had was a kicking sob and I sold mine pretty quickly.

I used to chase this stuff as well, but after adding up my time, components, gas to the range and general frustration level with it, I trip stuff pretty quick if it doesn't shoot well easily. YMMV of course.

That's about where I'm at. Really would like to get it to shoot, but at this point I'm about to sell it, I have little money into it as I picked it up at an auction for dirt cheap, I'll probably try a few more things and if that doesn't work then that's that

elkguide

WKR
That's about where I'm at. Really would like to get it to shoot, but at this point I'm about to sell it, I have little money into it as I picked it up at an auction for dirt cheap, I'll probably try a few more things and if that doesn't work then that's that

Since at this point it's just an acquaintance and hasn't become a good friend.
Time to let her move on and start looking for a real friend.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting!"

(Col. Townsend Whelen!)

OP
W

wgood

FNG
Since at this point it's just an acquaintance and hasn't become a good friend.
Time to let her move on and start looking for a real friend.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting!"

(Col. Townsend Whelen!)

Agreed, at this point I'm wondering if it's a copper fouling issue too, I've been running hoppes benchrest through her for 4 straight days at least once a day and I'm still getting copper? I agree with Col Whelen! Actually have another project rifle with a caliber bearing his name!