7 PRC for costal brown bears?

Hey guys just trying to get a few opinions on if the 7 PRC will be an acceptable option for costal brown bears.

I recently moved up to Alaska and I am hoping to draw a brown bear tag in the next few years.

Thanks for the help!

OP
Ecampbell25
Yes thanks for the response. I was talking to a guide and he told me the minimum caliber they let clients shoot them with is 338 win

grfox92

WKR
I don't see why they wouldn't let you use a 7prc, especially with something like a 180gr eldm.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
Ecampbell25
I don’t have the money to hire to pay for a guided hunt. Nor would I want to. Half the fun is trying to figure it out for myself. That was half of the reason why I moved up here.

I’m just trying to figure out if the 7 prc will be enough gun for those monsters. Or like @PantherMike said go with a bigger caliber like a 375 h&h. I just can’t shoot those big calibers bc of a broken neck injury a few years ago.

I don’t have the money to hire to pay for a guided hunt. Nor would I want to. Half the fun is trying to figure it out for myself. That was half of the reason why I moved up here.

I’m just trying to figure out if the 7 prc will be enough gun for those monsters. Or like @PantherMike said go with a bigger caliber like a 375 h&h. I just can’t shoot those big calibers bc of a broken neck injury a few years ago.
Ecampbell25,

375 H&H with a good brake is not as bad as you might think. Conversely, 416 Weatherby sucks no matter what you do to it.

OP
Ecampbell25
Why are you waiting to draw a permit instead of just going to hunt them where you don't need a draw permit?
Haha didnt know that existed! I just moved up to Palmer a few months ago from Idaho.

It’s like learning how to walk again. I’ve been trying to study the regs but haven’t had too much time.

So thank you for sharing some of that info. Much appreciated brother!

Snailz

FNG

Maybe a 375 Ruger with a good brake or step down to a 35 Whelan if you want another big bore without as much kick. I think a 170gr Hammer HHT would be a good option in 7 PRC for big bears. SD over .3 plus the fact that it's copper means it should make it through heavy bone. Those bullets are supposed to be pretty explosive when they hit at high speed and my understanding of brown bear hunting is that it's typically a sub-200 yard affair.

I wasn’t saying to use a guide but more they look at things a bit different. You mentioned outfitters wanting more gun. I just gave a good reason why they say that. I do think the 7 PRC could get it done but outfitters/guides have endless stories of people overstating their capabilities. I believe Stuck N the Rut has a great video where a bear charged after being shot. Worth a look and maybe puts ideas on caliber. Good luck and check back with photos!

OP
Ecampbell25
I wasn’t saying to use a guide but more they look at things a bit different. You mentioned outfitters wanting more gun. I just gave a good reason why they say that. I do think the 7 PRC could get it done but outfitters/guides have endless stories of people overstating their capabilities. I believe Stuck N the Rut has a great video where a bear charged after being shot. Worth a look and maybe puts ideas on caliber. Good luck and check back with photos!
Roger that! Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I’ve seen that video pretty wild.

Marshfly

WKR
Camelclutch is right. Guides know what they see. And they see people that can't shoot for crap that wound animals with terrible shots. If you can shoot the 7prc accurately every time, it's the right rifle for you for what you want to do.
Let's say a bear charges. Do you want a rifle you can cycle the bolt within a second all the while keeping your eye in the scope to deliver another round immediately? Or do you want a rifle that throws you out of the gun so you have to get back in the scope, re-find the bear, then hopefully get another shot off, all while he is running at you. I choose whatever caliber lets me do number one.

z987k

WKR
7PRC is more than enough. People use just about everything to hunt with here. Natives will use something like a 243win. Lot's of guys hunt them with a 30-06 or a 300wm or a 7rm.

OP
Ecampbell25
Camelclutch is right. Guides know what they see. And they see people that can't shoot for crap that wound animals with terrible shots. If you can shoot the 7prc accurately every time, it's the right rifle for you for what you want to do.
Let's say a bear charges. Do you want a rifle you can cycle the bolt within a second all the while keeping your eye in the scope to deliver another round immediately? Or do you want a rifle that throws you out of the gun so you have to get back in the scope, re-find the bear, then hopefully get another shot off, all while he is running at you. I choose whatever caliber lets me do number one.
Yes great points. I agree 💯 I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to be under gunned or was missing something. Thanks for your input!

OP
Ecampbell25
7PRC is more than enough. People use just about everything to hunt with here. Natives will use something like a 243win. Lot's of guys hunt them with a 30-06 or a 300wm or a 7rm.
Z987k I’m excited to get after it next year. Good to know I shouldn’t be under gunned with the 7 PRC.

Use a nosler partition or hornandy gmx whichever your rifle likes better and go kill everything Alaska has to offer. While you might get a long shot at one 1.5-2x min power on your scope is more important than 18-20x on the top end. I ran around for three years up there with a 7mag 160gr partitions with zero issues. Put your cross hairs on their shoulder and get the skinning knife ready.
Folks have been killing bears and everything else with far less firepower for decades. If you’re tracking a marginally shot brownie in the alders with your heart in your throat and shit in your shorts even a howitzer wouldn’t feel like enough gun.