7 PRC for costal brown bears?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Haha didnt know that existed! I just moved up to Palmer a few months ago from Idaho.

It’s like learning how to walk again. I’ve been trying to study the regs but haven’t had too much time.

So thank you for sharing some of that info. Much appreciated brother!
Palmer is a great place to live-have a buddy there.

OP
Ecampbell25
Yeah man we have really been liking it. I’m coaching my 5 year old in hockey at the local rink and all the families seem really nice.

It has been a pretty good fit. The darkness in December was a little tough but we are through the darkest part.

I didn’t know anyone moving up here so it’s been hard to make new friendships. But they will
Come with time 👍

Good to know you have full confidence in the 7 prc for costal bears. I’m having GA precision built mine with a Zermatt arms controlled round origin action. Should be a good all arounder.

Thanks for reaching out!

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
So if dangerous game require deep penetration wouldnt a 7prc be an excellent choice. My question is why wouldnt a 7Prc with a 180 and an sd of .319 not be suitable? I'm thinking it would out penetrate the 300 and the 338. I'm totally ignorant on big bears. SD seems like a good measure of penetration. I don't have experience with 338 and up.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
You should be fine with 7PRC. I've talked to a few hunters who've used 30-06, 308, 7RM, etc. with no issues.

wyosam

WKR
a larger caliber is the norm when it comes to hunting them.

It’s the norm, but not necessarily what is actually needed. With the quality of bullets we enjoy now, there are plenty of cartridges (smaller than the 7PRC) that will do just fine on any bear walking the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
So if dangerous game require deep penetration wouldnt a 7prc be an excellent choice. My question is why wouldnt a 7Prc with a 180 and an sd of .319 not be suitable? I'm thinking it would out penetrate the 300 and the 338. I'm totally ignorant on big bears. SD seems like a good measure of penetration. I don't have experience with 338 and up.
IMO bullet construction is a better determining factor. All bullets of same caliber same weight have the same Sectional Density. But on the extremes a solid penetrates better than a frangible.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
7 prc is more of a long range bullet. Not sure I would be using it for coastal hunts below treeline?

I wouldn't think you would want that for a close range hunt. The rifle I have for close in dangerous game is a 375 h&h, 1-6 scope. Long range more for inland grizz, maybe, but everyone I have talked with has said 308 is a min there.

If I recall, the outfitter service said he needs a .338 Win as a minimum. For shit sake, get a 35 Whelen (which holds 5+1) loaded with a 250 grain premium bullet at 2,700 fps as Speer data shows and get your bear. Or a 200-225 grain mono at a good clip more velocity to get more range.

There is really not a difference between a 35 Whelen and a 9.3x62 or .338 Win Mag with equal bullet weights. Personally, I like larger diameter bullets for any big game and the Whelen is very efficient for the hammer of Thor blow it delivers. Did I mention a 250 gr bullet at 2700 fps?

Jdog

WKR
I would go with a .375 H&H solely for energy. Tracking those critters in the heavy brush....doesn't seem much fun.
yep--encountered an immature brown one evening on the coast and wished I had a bazooka...was lucky to make a snapshot and drop him at 21 steps--NOT COOL. He was pawing and growling...dbl shart situation.

Jdog

WKR
yep--encountered an immature brown one evening on the coast and wished I had a bazooka...was lucky to make a snapshot w an iron sighted 375 HH and drop him at 21 steps--NOT COOL. He was pawing and growling...dbl shart situation.

z987k

WKR
7 prc is more of a long range bullet. Not sure I would be using it for coastal hunts below treeline?

I wouldn't think you would want that for a close range hunt. The rifle I have for close in dangerous game is a 375 h&h, 1-6 scope. Long range more for inland grizz, maybe, but everyone I have talked with has said 308 is a min there.
7prc is a cartridge not a bullet.

z987k

WKR
y my bad. meant the high bc bullets most people use.
There's some pretty high BC deep penetrating bullets these days.

I wouldn't think twice if I loaded 7prc up with something like a 175gr ABLR or A-frame. A 150 or 160gr Badlands SBD-2, 170gr terminal ascent or the 168 LRX. Close up or out to where the velocity drops below their minimum expansion, they're going to perform. In a 7PRC, that's probably going to be well past where you're shooting at bears with any of those bullets.

Will a 7PRC kill a brown bear? Yes. If you're tracking a wounded brown bear are you going to wish you you had a .375H&H instead? I definitely would be. I've seen brown bears killed with .280 ackleys, 30-06s, 7mms, and all the regular big boys. Even with 375s you can't count on one shot kills, and hardly ever with anything smaller. If you use your 7PRC would not recommend shooting over 250yards (with any caliber) and be sure the bear is in a spot where you'll get good follow up shots. The rule of thumb with killing brown bears is shoot till they're done moving, holes in hides are easier to patch than holes in yourself. It's not a meat hunt.

OP
Ecampbell25
Will a 7PRC kill a brown bear? Yes. If you're tracking a wounded brown bear are you going to wish you you had a .375H&H instead? I definitely would be. I've seen brown bears killed with .280 ackleys, 30-06s, 7mms, and all the regular big boys. Even with 375s you can't count on one shot kills, and hardly ever with anything smaller. If you use your 7PRC would not recommend shooting over 250yards (with any caliber) and be sure the bear is in a spot where you'll get good follow up shots. The rule of thumb with killing brown bears is shoot till they're done moving, holes in hides are easier to patch than holes in yourself. It's not a meat hunt.
Solid advice I appreciate you goatboat218.