7 PRC for costal brown bears?

gerry35

WKR
Your 7 PRC will do fine on killing a bear and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt them with them. There is a big difference though between hunting them and having to stop one that want's to even the score with you. I'm in BC and have hunted the coastal bears here before they closed the season and with their population exploding we have to deal with them all the time.

I use a 35 Whelen but I handload, One you might wish to check out is the 9.3x62, lot's of nice Huqvarna rifles out there that are compact and carry well. The 12 lb rifles lots of guys use in open areas are terrible in brushy areas where you are likely to have to kill a bear in. You don't need the deepest penetrating heavy bullets either. They don't open a big would channel, pick a bullet that will cause a lot of damage regardless of caliber. A 338 with a 230 gr ELD-X would be an interesting choice too. I had a 375 Ruger that was a nice gun but I shot the 35 Whelen much better and couldn't see the difference in how they killed. The 375 260 gr Accubond was a great bullet though. I really liked the 300's with the 220 gr Partition's, the front section expanded rapidly and did some damage while the rear core penetrated deep. The 200 gr PT was great too.

The desire by some here to hunt them with 223's etc is insane. It can work by why even try when there's much better choices out there. The 223 guys kind of remind me of Timothy Treadwell, you'll get away with it for a while but eventually it will end very badly.

Congrats on your move to Alaska, hope you have fun and kill a giant bear along with other game!