Alaska Caribou Outfitter recommendations

Backcountryrealtor17

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for first hand experience Alaska fly in or pack in Caribou outfitters. Hoping to put a deposit down on a hunt soon for 2025/26 if there are openings. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
Big changes to the caribou hunting landscape in AK as we speak. Most herds have signifcant decreases in herd numbers, and the number of places you can go for a legit wilderness caribou hunting experience are shrinking as more units and subunits are closed or severely restricted for nonresident hunting. If you talk to potential outfitters, be sure to ask them how the potential changes to AK hunting regs will impact their operations, and the amount of other guide/outfitter traffic that you might run into if you hunt with them. Also ask how close you might be to other hunters or camps. Good luck.

VernAK

WKR
Big changes to the caribou hunting landscape in AK as we speak. Most herds have signifcant decreases in herd numbers, and the number of places you can go for a legit wilderness caribou hunting experience are shrinking as more units and subunits are closed or severely restricted for nonresident hunting. If you talk to potential outfitters, be sure to ask them how the potential changes to AK hunting regs will impact their operations, and the amount of other guide/outfitter traffic that you might run into if you hunt with them. Also ask how close you might be to other hunters or camps. Good luck.
Caribou hunting across North America is in freefall. The demand for remote hunts far exceeds the supply so expect high prices. Reputable transporters and guides are booked. I would not pay a deposit very far in advance unless completely refundable as the situation may change drastically. Transporter reputation is everything!
Caveat Emptor!

Hunters from the more populated areas of Alaska [Anchorage etc] have lost their prime caribou hunt in the Nelchina and they will be looking to hunt other herds resulting in more resident hunting pressure.

Dall Sheep have gone the same way. Can moose be far behind? We needn't discuss Kenai King Salmon fishing nor the Yukon River salmon as that is gone.

ColeyG

WKR
Caribou hunting across North America is in freefall. The demand for remote hunts far exceeds the supply so expect high prices. Reputable transporters and guides are booked. I would not pay a deposit very far in advance unless completely refundable as the situation may change drastically. Transporter reputation is everything!
Caveat Emptor!

Hunters from the more populated areas of Alaska [Anchorage etc] have lost their prime caribou hunt in the Nelchina and they will be looking to hunt other herds resulting in more resident hunting pressure.

Dall Sheep have gone the same way. Can moose be far behind? We needn't discuss Kenai King Salmon fishing nor the Yukon River salmon as that is gone.

Why does it seem like everything I love about AK is circling the drain...

Brian77

FNG
That is sad. I have dreamed of a hunt like this since a boy in the 70s. The Quebec herds were legend then.

From what I hear, this is way more about politics than actual caribou herd health.
Restricting non residents from shooting bull caribou has not proven to have a impact on caribou populations.
Yet, somehow Alaska put no pressure on local hunters to stop shooting cows and that certainly does impact the caribou population. My research has shown this to be more about politics than anything

Yet, somehow Alaska put no pressure on local hunters to stop shooting cows
This is not true. It’s the feds you are mad at, not AK.

Alaska said based on the population, both the cow harvest and NR/nonlocal bull harvest were sustainable. These regulations run on a three year cycle and based on the population 3 years ago, it was sustainable.

Board of Game meetings for this region are in a few weeks. Proposal #36 would reduce the resident bag limit to 4 per year, which only one could be a cow. State of Alaska SUPPORTS this proposal. However, they recognize and note that the board must consider whether non subsistence uses can still be provided.

The State of Alaska is NEUTRAL to any proposals shutting down NR caribou hunting in the GMUs because of the allocative nature. However, they do note that although there are reasons to reduce harvest, the limited number of bulls harvested by NR hunters is insignificant.

AKBorn

WKR
From what I hear, this is way more about politics than actual caribou herd health.
Restricting non residents from shooting bull caribou has not proven to have a impact on caribou populations.
Yet, somehow Alaska put no pressure on local hunters to stop shooting cows and that certainly does impact the caribou population. My research has shown this to be more about politics than anything
Sounds like you need to update your research...

Looking for first hand experience Alaska fly in or pack in Caribou outfitters. Hoping to put a deposit down on a hunt soon for 2025/26 if there are openings. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m in the same boat, would love to hear what you’ve come up with. After spending the last two weeks researching I feel like I haven’t gotten anywhere. As soon as I think I’ve got it all figured out I read 3 or 4 bad reviews about the outfitter I liked. Hopefully by the end of the month we’ll know more about the unit closures.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I know a great outfitter where you can realistically kill a 375" or larger bull. The trouble is, you have a low single digit chance of drawing the tag, which makes it really hard to plan a hunt.

Aggie07

FNG
I was researching a caribou hunt for 2024 and heard so many mixed things about population, remoteness, etc..

I decided to not pursue it.

awhit13

FNG
I'll be hunting the NBR with Arrowhead Outfitters this August. So far, the communication with them has been great, they give you a link to pay as you wish when you put down your deposit. Unfortunately, like everything else, their rates for 25 and 26 are drastically increasing. I don't think I could justify this hunt at these future rates.

They have a lot of resources available which adds a great comfort level with this being my first trip to Alaska. I'll be sure to circle back and update everyone when the trip is over.

AlBeartoe

FNG
I would highly recommend my buddy Andrew George at Word of Mouth Guiding & Outfitting