SITKA Mountain EVO jacket, Review **Updated 9/20/23**

Pramo

WKR
I just got one for sizing reference I’m 6’2’’ 185 and 34 inch waist athletic build. I kept the L Tall and can layer a T-shirt and kelvin active underneath, would not try a big puffy underneath. The fit is similar to Kuiu or Stone Glacier and favors tall skinny fellas. Usually Sitka is to short or loose in the mid section for me

So far I like it while doing whitetail stand hunts and hikes. I have 8 days elk hunting coming up so that will be a real test. I sweat a ton and get cold from wind this may be the perfect piece

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does this compare to the KUIU Axis??

The Axis has waterproof panels, the Evo is water resistant, but not waterproof.

Looks like the Axis is fleece lined, the Evo is not.

Evo is lighter and if had guess, breathes better- anything waterproof isn’t going to breathe very well.

They are both “hybrid” construction, but I think they serve different roles.

TXCO

WKR
So is the bottom line whether its worth 2x the weight and price of a wind shirt? Folks seems to generally happy with it? Are you guys grabbing it instead of a windshirt on a backpack trip?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So is the bottom line whether its worth 2x the weight and price of a wind shirt? Folks seems to generally happy with it? Are you guys grabbing it instead of a windshirt on a backpack trip?

This piece is a little more well rounded than a windhsirt imho, but it does weigh more and does cost more. I think for "summer" trips I'll stick with a windhsirt; for fall/winter (but not cross country skiing or the like) I'll be grabbing the Evo.

TXCO

WKR
This piece is a little more well rounded than a windhsirt imho, but it does weigh more and does cost more. I think for "summer" trips I'll stick with a windhsirt; for fall/winter (but not cross country skiing or the like) I'll be grabbing the Evo.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice review Sir! Sounds very promising :)

I've just received one and am attempting to find the right fit. I got a Large Tall and it fits pretty close over a base layer; the length is perfect but maybe just a wee tight in the shoulders. I'm going to try on a XL Tall and see how that fits.

I'm thinking it might be nice to layer over a mid-layer, it would pretty tight (possibly too tight) doing that with the Large.
How does this compare to the Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody? Thanks

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does this compare to the Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody? Thanks

I think I’d consider the Evo as more of a softshell vs a windshirt. The Evo is going to provide more wind and precip protection, the Alpine Start will breathe better when you “crank up the engine”.

The Evo is going to be more durable than the Alpine Start. Alpine Start lighter- 8 oz vs 14 oz.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick update- got to wear the Evo on two short backpacking trips here in Montana. One day it rained lightly (but steadily) for 4-5 hours while I was hiking (temps in the 40's). I kept thinking I better throw on my rain jacket, but never did.

My base layer was perfectly dry when I got to my camp/glassing area. I hung the Evo in a tree (slightly breezy and it had quit raining) and it dried quickly :)

Quick update- got to wear the Evo on two short backpacking trips here in Montana. One day it rained lightly (but steadily) for 4-5 hours while I was hiking (temps in the 40's). I kept thinking I better throw on my rain jacket, but never did.

My base layer was perfectly dry when I got to my camp/glassing area. I hung the Evo in a tree (slightly breezy and it had quit raining) and it dried quickly :)
Temperature range?

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Limited experience, luckily? I had a three hour hunt in NM this year. Morning temps were mid-30s leaving the cabin and hitting the ground. 2.5 mile slow walk with only a long sleeve Sitka synthetic base-layer. 30 pounds pack and gun etc., never hot. Very comfortable and had I not shot my bull at 8:15 that morning, I am sure it would have been great the rest of the week.

TXCO

WKR
When trying them on, I had to size up a size from normal in order to layer anything but a base layer underneath.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When trying them on, I had to size up a size from normal in order to layer anything but a base layer underneath.

Definitely runs a bit "athletic"- had to size mine up one as well.

the black version has been on sale at Sitka for a while. Schnees just put them on sale for $165. I am going to give it a whirl.

For $165 at Scheels I’d definitely suggest one. I wear mine constantly here in Oregon when it’s raining but not enough to warrant a full on rain jacket. It sheds moisture very well and breathes pretty dang well also.

In BC it has turned into a piece I never leave without. Spring bear and turkey, July alpine scouting, sheep in August, moose and goat in September and now goat again in November. It’s such a versatile layering piece. I either add or take away warmth depending on the activity and weather. Sheds light precip and has been great at busting through the alders and willows.

It just cuts convective heat loss so well.