Am I an idiot?

robtattoo

WKR
I just sold my M1a & it's the last .308 in my stable.
I've had a .308 of some form of another since 2009 & I just came to the realization that I've hardly ever actually hunted with one.
I generally go to the safe and either grab my 6.5x55 or .358 & I'm leaning more these days on my .223 & 9.3s

So I've made the decision to sell off all my loads, dies, spare bullets & powders & just do away with the thing altogether.

But i have this little nagging feeling that I'm being stupid & I can't shake it. All the ammo (couple of thousand rounds) is just sitting there, not eating anything, but it could be converted to cash that i actually could use. It's not needed, but neither is the ammo right now.

What say ye?

Should I completely abandon it all, or hang onto the loads & components, just in case?

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Over the winter I replaced stock, rings, and scope on my .308 that has not been out of the safe & in the field for 8 years. I might not be the most sensible resource for giving advice on moving on from a caliber…

I say hold on to it and get a bolt gun. I was in the same boat. I only have one .308 left and don't hunt with it. But, it gets plenty of range time between my kids and I. I typically hunt with my 300wsm, 300wm, or 7rm.

The only reason I still own a .308 is so that I can say I have a rifle in every factory offered chambering based on the .308 cartridge.

I just sold my M1a & it's the last .308 in my stable.
I've had a .308 of some form of another since 2009 & I just came to the realization that I've hardly ever actually hunted with one.
I generally go to the safe and either grab my 6.5x55 or .358 & I'm leaning more these days on my .223 & 9.3s

So I've made the decision to sell off all my loads, dies, spare bullets & powders & just do away with the thing altogether.

But i have this little nagging feeling that I'm being stupid & I can't shake it. All the ammo (couple of thousand rounds) is just sitting there, not eating anything, but it could be converted to cash that i actually could use. It's not needed, but neither is the ammo right now.

What say ye?

Should I completely abandon it all, or hang onto the loads & components, just in case?
Yep, I sold one 30 years ago to help with a down payment on a house, Now the democratic republic I live in says there not allowed, but I can buy an AR-10 in .308 go figure. Keep the ammo and equipment get another rifle in .308 while you can. Now is not the time to be selling anything firearms related.

Spoonbill

WKR
You could convert that couple thousand rounds of 308 to a few thousand 223 rounds. I would keep the powder, I am sure it can be used for other rounds you load for.

Rob5589

WKR
I don't get attached to stuff. Ditch what you aren't using/needing for what you do want/need. Trading is always a solid option IMO.

atmat

WKR
There’s a guy here selling a threaded 308 Fieldcraft. Buy that and enjoy.

KenLee

WKR
I've sent a grand total of two 308 rounds at game in 48 years of stand/stalk hunting.
Guess which round I have the most of in my ammo stockpile?
It's always available, as are 308 rifles.
I keep a few 308 rifles with scopes zeroed and ready to go, just in case.
If you don't absolutely need the money, why ignore the "what ifs" of possible future scarcity of ammo, components, and rifles in your preferred round?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
🤔🙂

id·i·ot
/ˈidēət/

noun
  1. a stupid person.
    "I feel like an idiot who swallowed every lie I was told"
    • ARCHAIC
      a person of low intelligence.
      "he entered their employ and learnt their secrets by pretending to be an idiot"

If you send me all of your 308 ammo, it will help you get past your feelings of regret. I will give it a good home.

All kidding aside, I would pick up a 308 of some variety and put that ammo to good use.

Life’s too short to waste safe space on guns you don’t use or love

When you’re dying you’re not gonna be like thank goodness I didn’t sell that 308 that I continued not shooting for 20 more years

Buy a bunch of the ammo/components you actually use so that next time around when everyone is jerking about how crap tier 308 is all that’s left on the shelf you don’t care because your house is full of whatever you use.