Am I an idiot?

woods89

WKR
Sell the 308 stuff and use it to stock up on ammo for the rifles you have. I know a lot of people that have safes full of rifles they never shoot, which is a little hard to understand.

More ammo>more rifles

Full disclosure: I have a safe/s full of guns I don't use regularly. Some I hold onto for sentimental reasons; some I hold onto because I don't know why. I have shelf's full of ammo and components for these guns. Consequently, some of the following advice falls into the do as I say, not as I do category.

2 ways to look at it: 1 - Buy a nice 308 to use up your ammo and components. All practice is good practice, and you probably paid less for and/or will get less for the items you're going to sell compared to replacement costs for other cartridges. As has been stated, there always seems to be .308 available, so it makes sense by a lot of measures to own a good one that you like to use.

2 - Get out of it and stock up on things you actually are into. You like and use what you have now over what you had before for valid reasons, so either you think that rational might change over time, or you should feel free to move on without fear of regret, being affirmed in the knowledge that your preferences evolved and moved away from where you were at some point in the past.

Even when highly organized, more things means more to worry about. Cutting items down to what you have use for frees up time, space, and mental bandwidth in the long run.

I have several calibers and at least a dozen rifles I've decided to get out of. Just need the time to list everything.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold my M1a & it's the last .308 in my stable.
I've had a .308 of some form of another since 2009 & I just came to the realization that I've hardly ever actually hunted with one.
I generally go to the safe and either grab my 6.5x55 or .358 & I'm leaning more these days on my .223 & 9.3s

So I've made the decision to sell off all my loads, dies, spare bullets & powders & just do away with the thing altogether.

But i have this little nagging feeling that I'm being stupid & I can't shake it. All the ammo (couple of thousand rounds) is just sitting there, not eating anything, but it could be converted to cash that i actually could use. It's not needed, but neither is the ammo right now.

What say ye?

Should I completely abandon it all, or hang onto the loads & components, just in case?
You are an adult, so do what you want to do.
What may be good for one or several of us on here, does not mean it is the right decision for you.
If you sell stuff, make sure you sell it for what it is worth, so you can buy more ammo for the things you actually use

Mine have come and gone. I just picked up a Ruger SFAR that I will probably keep around for a while. Always nice to have rifles around that shoot military rounds. Same reason I keep a 223 around.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Pick up the Ruger SFAR for about a grand brand new and keep your ammo. Might need it if things keep going the way they are headed

I just sold my M1a & it's the last .308 in my stable.
I've had a .308 of some form of another since 2009 & I just came to the realization that I've hardly ever actually hunted with one.
I generally go to the safe and either grab my 6.5x55 or .358 & I'm leaning more these days on my .223 & 9.3s

So I've made the decision to sell off all my loads, dies, spare bullets & powders & just do away with the thing altogether.

But i have this little nagging feeling that I'm being stupid & I can't shake it. All the ammo (couple of thousand rounds) is just sitting there, not eating anything, but it could be converted to cash that i actually could use. It's not needed, but neither is the ammo right now.

What say ye?

Should I completely abandon it all, or hang onto the loads & components, just in case?
Man! The thread title had me excited, but that faded as I read on…

I don’t think you’re dumb, if a rifle isn’t useful, i have no desire to keep it. No need to try to force yourself to make a rifle useful.

I just got my first .308, and am looking forward to hunting it, but I completely understand your position. I let time make decisions for me, if I have guns that mostly sit then I ditch them and replace with something more useful to me… some people can’t stomach selling guns, but I have no attachment to any gun that sits… I say sell it all and reinvest in components you do use

My safe will never not have a .308 Win in it. It’s just too good as a utility cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BLJ

WKR
Please PM me with a list of ammo, components, and prices.
I’d like first refusal. 😁

TheGDog

WKR
Go look up the specs on the Barnes TTSX 130gr load in .308 Win. It shows extremely similar ballistics as the 6.5cm loads. You can ManBun without ManBunning! (hehe)

Hrmm... ya know what might be worth it though?

Trading all that loaded ammo for a crap-ton of all kinds of various primers. If the ammo drought taught us anything, it's that primers are like Gold!

If you're not using it, I'd say trade for something you will use. Sounds like you've mulled on this a while and you've got things that cover all your needs

ChrisAU

WKR
I’ve owned one 308 among a hundred plus rifles. Sold it 3-4 years ago. Life’s too short to have boring guns :D