Anyone carry two packs?

OP
kodiakfly

kodiakfly

WKR
Thanks for all the advice and no one just calling me an idiot for asking a dumb question.

Yes, I always travel planning to spend an unplanned night on the ground...which I've had to do a few times and been careful because I was ready for it. I'm thinking something a bit more than a day pack or simple backpack...I'm thinking something like my Bora 40 or a climbing pack from BD or MH...super light, no pockets, narrow. Something to carry a bag/bivy, food, survival kit, puffy jacket, etc.

I work for Kifaru, but I'll give you my opinion if you want it:)

Kifaru is still an option. It's just I literally know two guys that have one and about a dozen guys that have Barneys here, so Barney's is how I'm leaning...pack choice isn't set in stone yet and it may turn out a Kifaru is what I need. What's the lead time on one?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for all the advice and no one just calling me an idiot for asking a dumb question.

Yes, I always travel planning to spend an unplanned night on the ground...which I've had to do a few times and been careful because I was ready for it. I'm thinking something a bit more than a day pack or simple backpack...I'm thinking something like my Bora 40 or a climbing pack from BD or MH...super light, no pockets, narrow. Something to carry a bag/bivy, food, survival kit, puffy jacket, etc.

Kifaru is still an option. It's just I literally know two guys that have one and about a dozen guys that have Barneys here, so Barney's is how I'm leaning...pack choice isn't set in stone yet and it may turn out a Kifaru is what I need. What's the lead time on one?

I didn't mean comment on getting a Kifaru, but more comment on the pros and cons of taking two packs.

I used a Barney's for a season, but it's a little overboard for us lower 48 guys:) I did, however, use it for a day pack when I had it, as I would prefer to add 3 lbs of extra food than a day pack. Another rule I try and never break, is being away from my load hauling pack ....EVER! So if I used a Barney's again, it would never leave my side.

I've only hunted AK a few times, so I'm no expert, but it sucked monkey nuts when we got stuck away from camp. If I wouldn't of had my big pack and gear I may have frozen to death.

So whatever you decide, I would shit can the 2 pack idea:) It seams counter productive!

OP
kodiakfly

kodiakfly

WKR
Tell me about the EMR II. I saw the other thread about it right now. That may be up my alley, other than I can't look at one prior to buying or fitting.

Kifaru Nomad w/ the camp bag. Leave the camp bag at base camp and roll w/ just the Nomad w/ a grab-it and you can hunt light yet still have the ability to haul large meat loads off the mountain.
I have always been a fan of modular packs, and the Nomad will be my next pack.
The only question is Duplex or Bikini frame......

As far as the Barney is concerned, can't you leave the bag in camp and pack meat on a bare frame?
I would think you could fashion some sort of day-gear pullout that you could attach to the bare Barney frame for day use. For that matter, I'm sure a couple of Kifaru long pockets could be attached to the frame using straps & K-hooks. And depending on which Barney bag you chose, you could either treat the long pockets as pull-outs inside the Barney bag or attach to the outside on top of the Barney Bag.

I don't see any reason why you can't have your pie & eat it too, all w/ one pack.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
Barney's packs are great packs without question, they are hard to beat for carrying heavy, bulky loads, like moose hindquarters, rafts, big bear hides, even outboards. But they are heavy, and IMHO not the best for Kodiak unless you are packing a big bear hide. The two top bars snag on every alder limb they get near and the empty pack weights about 3 to 4 lbs more empty than a good internal pack.

Think of it like this,, running a Barney's pack is like driving a 1 ton dually around town everyday, sure it will get the job done but it takes way more fuel. In the case of packing more pack than you need that fuel is provided by YOU.

I believe I read on here that you have an old leg injury, old injuries is one of the main reasons I like Kifaru packs so much. The fit and comfort are like no other and they still are some of the lightest on the market.

I have 3 Kifaru packs and have a EMR II on order, I'm like many others here, I never leave camp without the items needed to spend the night where ever dark finds me and to have the ability to carry a load of meat back to camp. After all,, bringing meat back is one of my main objectives when hunting,, so it only makes sense to be ready to pack it back. This is even more true on Kodiak were the bears like to eat what you kill too.

I know that there are a lot of Kifaru packs in the Anchorage area that Roksliders have and I'm sure you can find one to check out. I would be willing to mail you one of mine to try for the cost of shipping this summer. I will have my EMR II on Kodiak this fall if you are still looking.

Good Luck!!

Steve

OutdoorAg

WKR
The situation you describe is why the Paradox packs exist. You'd be missing out by not at least looking them over and asking if they are the answer for you.

Jon Boy

WKR
The situation you describe is why the Paradox packs exist. You'd be missing out by not at least looking them over and asking if they are the answer for you.

And also Exo...Cant wait to review one this spring. There larger pack wont be out until july-ish though and I have a feeling you'll be needing the extra space in AK.

60x

WKR
Kodiak I am a Barney's guy through and through. I've packed mine around for a looong time. This year since my hunting style has changed I am leaning towards a stone glacier. I like the weight among other things for the mountain hunting. I don't think any pack could ever replace a Barney's as an all around Alaska pack but I could see this one doing well in the high country. I think it just boils down to what your plans for the pack are. If just mountain hunting there are lots of good ones but if you plan on a one for all then stick with a Barney's they are with out a doubt bomb proof!

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hunted with a Barney's pack (after using a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 for 2 years prior to that) for most of 2011. Its a great pack and if you take the top bar off of it and a couple other mods its within a pound of a Kifaru EMR II on a duplex frame so as true load haulers go I wouldn't say that the weight savings is the reason to go with a Kifaru. Also taking that top bar off not only lightens the pack but makes it more streamed from going through the brush and I never found a situation where I was wanting for the top bar back on.

For me one of the main reason I went to Kifaru over Barney's frame was the waistbelt. The waistbelt on the Barney's wasn't as comfy nor could it go small enough when my waist started hovering around the 30" or less. I also appreciate the power pull design of the Kifaru waistbelt and the 3 piece lumbar pad asA well. The Kifaru is designed to compress a little better in daypack mode as well than the 7800 cu in Barney's as well.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either one. But if I had to do it all over again for myself I would have skipped the Barney's and gone straight to a Kifaru duplex frame with composite stays and an EMR II pack bag. Of course 4 years ago composite stays had just maybe made it into the duplex and the EMR II wasn't even a glimmer in Mr. Snyder's and Mr. Smith's eye yet ;)

I'll be down in Kodiak next month with a duplex frame and EMR II packbag on it. PM me your number and if I get weathered in town and what not we could meet up and you can look it over.

TEmbry

WKR
For a goat hunt my Bikini Highcamp has nearly 8000 cubic inches of space, weighs in a hair over 5 lbs, and synchs down to a small daypack size when not full. This setup would save you like 6 lbs over your Barney/Daypack combo and would be more comfortable to boot...

Doc06

FNG
I have wrestled with this problem for a while. I couldn't really figure out exactly what I wanted to do. I like the versatility of a day pack but didn't like the fact that I couldn't carry game with it. Right now I have the KUIU ICON in 7200 and the 1850. The 1850 is the day pack and can be used in a couple of different ways. The way I decided to use it on my recent Goat hunt was to keep the frame and attach the 1850. Use that as my day pack and pack the 7200 bag in the 1850. The 1850 with the frame isn't as versatile as I would like, but its better than having the 7200 on my back. The 1850 can expand and have additional space for a quarter without taking the bag off. The plan was to switch out the bags from the 1850 to the 7200 and use that as the additional space if needed. Right now, thats what I am trying. I figure this handles most situations I would be placed in. It does add some extra weight and room in the day pack with the 7200 packed, but it's mot as bad as having a heavier more non-compressible day pack strapped to your regular pack.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For a goat hunt my Bikini Highcamp has nearly 8000 cubic inches of space, weighs in a hair over 5 lbs, and synchs down to a small daypack size when not full. This setup would save you like 6 lbs over your Barney/Daypack combo and would be more comfortable to boot...

I helped haul a few goats off the mountain last year with that exact setup. Works well, just one of the loads had me wishing for my duplex frame a little. So next month the Duplex is going up the hill with me. :D Both are a great frame and you can't go wrong with either Barney's with the Pinnacle bag or a Kifaru Duplex or Bikini frame with your choice of bag (so long as its 7K or larger is my preference).

I love my Barney's frame, but my thought process in going to the Kifaru Duplex & Highcamp 7000 is that at my advanced age (53) :) there is a good chance I can comfortably haul all I want to (or reasonably should) haul on the Kifaru. Last year on our youth group canoe trip I was still doubling up on some of the portages with an 80# canoe & a 65# pack. I can haul 145# a reasonable distance (longest that trip was just under 3/4 mile) but every time I stepped over a log I was wondering about the twisting on the knees & back. Common sense says protect the body, but there is still something inside that says I have to prove I can out do all those 17-19yr old guys that have "6 packs" but no "practical" muscle for outdoor life.

Last year,I use a Hill People Gear Tarahumara as a compression panel/day pack along with a Bikini frame and HPG 2500 UL bag.
The whole system weighed under 4.25# empty.
Killed a bull 7.5 miles from the truck and 2 miles from camp.
Quartered and deboned everything and placed in BOMB game bags.
Went to camp,dropped all unnecessary gear/bow and went back for 2 bags/head with Bikini/KU Grabit. My partner took 2 bags as well back to camp.
At first light,we grabbed the remaining bags and started the long haul out with everything.
Those extra 4 miles took maybe 2.5 hours.
I think(in this particular situation) only carrying a light,small day pack for all the miles prior to killing my bull was way worth those few extra hours of no pack frame to deal with.

For me carrying a big pack all day limits my mobility. Once I set up camp, I strap on a light Sitka Ascent pack that carries hydration, snacks, kill kit, some first aid/tinder/fire/signal gear and a space blanket. I have back problems so reducing the weight all day long keeps me in the game longer. Every option has it's disadvantages. What works for one doesn't work for another.

Aug walk away.jpg

Last edited:
OP
kodiakfly

kodiakfly

WKR
I'll be down in Kodiak next month with a duplex frame and EMR II packbag on it. PM me your number and if I get weathered in town and what not we could meet up and you can look it over.

Man, that'd be great. I'll take you up on that for sure. I can meet you anywhere, any time. I live three minutes from the airport, so I can even come down when you land or depart if that works! Thanks. I'm down to a Barneys or the EMR II...all my friends have Barneys, so I've seen plenty of those.

Solitude

WKR
Depends in the type of hunt you are on, title if the post "Does anyone carry two packs?"

For me I have when I have packed in several miles, set up camp and simply want to spike out in fairly close proximity for the day. Generally this is September elk hunting. I have a cheap 1lb pack that holds my days supplies and it doubles as my sleeping bag stuff sack. I feel much more comfortable shooting my bow and running with a "fly pack" on my back vs a full sized pack, even when compressed down. Just me.

Now, if in Alaska, scaling mountains for goats/sheep, BIVY hunting, etc I personally would never consider it given the pack offerings now days. Even the vast majority of September elk hunting trips I find myself carrying all my gear and simply camping where I find myself at days end......thus no need for small daypack.

Lastly, I do not know if I would ever drop my pack for the last 100-200 yards of the approach unless it's in a bedded mule deer. More often than not I find myself in a cat and mouse with my quarry and have a tough time getting back to retrieve my pack.

Just my 2cents

OP
kodiakfly

kodiakfly

WKR
Lastly, I do not know if I would ever drop my pack for the last 100-200 yards of the approach unless it's in a bedded mule deer. More often than not I find myself in a cat and mouse with my quarry and have a tough time getting back to retrieve my pack.

My thoughts as well. How do I know what the last "100-200 yards" is on a moving animal? Anything is possible, but I like having it on my back "most" of the time. I think the two pack idea is fading and I'm narrowing it down one of two packs.