Anyone had a Kuiu down product wet out?

mcseal2

WKR
I’m headed to Alaska in September as long as the Coronavirus doesn’t interrupt our plans. I have a Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket and pants I plan to take for glassing. I have a rain jacket that will go over the puffy coat, but the pants work best over my rain pants. I have a glassing tarp I’ll bring also.

Anyone ever had a Kuiu waterproof down item wet out and lose loft? I have not had mine in wet conditions yet. Thanks.

My ultra has been excellent in the occasional drizzles. Got pretty wet a couple days ago from tent condensation in the night. No appreciable loss of loft for me.

Could always stick your arm in the shower just to be sure of how it will handle it.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I might soak it just to see. Hate to have it fail when I need it. I have a Kifaru LPP I could take for a coat, but the down sure packs down a lot smaller in the pack bag.

No experience with Kuiu down wetting out, I have the ultra pants, but been reading all the puffy threads in search of a new puffy and believe Ryan mention having a Kuiu down wet out of him once. I think it was also suggested by him and kuiu that their down products are meant to go outside only, they lose quite a bit of loft when worn under layers. Maybe he will chime in here shortly.

hunt&fish

FNG
I have the super down shirt from a few years ago and I have had it wet out. The only time I would use it is for glassing when I am dry. It does not deal with moisture well at all and takes a while to dry and regain loft. No question I would take the lpp. I own one of them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
I think it was also suggested by him and kuiu that their down products are meant to go outside only, they lose quite a bit of loft when worn under layers. Maybe he will chime in here shortly.
I hadn't heard that about it being useful only outside of layers. I used the SD ultra as an insulating layer under my Simms wader pants and Sitka rain jacket on a AK Pen Bear hunt in intermittent rain and continuous howling wind while glassing and I thought it worked great. I wouldn't be keen about getting any puffy soaking wet in that humidity.

I’m sure it’s still plenty useful under layers, maybe just not optimal, but again, I have no first hand knowledge, so take that with a grain of salt! I’m just repeating what I came across here in my own search for a puffy.