Stone Glacier's Grumman Goose Down Jacket Review

Bought both a Medium and Large to see which fit better and already lost a feather in both just trying them on in the house and looking them over. Not very impressed so far. Both were in the upper arm/arm pit area, not sure if that's related.

rumor has it they will be coming out with another solid color option. I think I will try this jacket again. I really like the uncompahare jacket but some mornings it just isn't warm enough while glassing.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Any update in regards to fit, warmth, durability, etc after a couple months of use?

The Grumman is a great jacket. I have lost some feathers. I have not torn it. It's very warm for its weight. It will be interesting to see how it does over the next few months. I do fear it won't be as warm as I had hoped and will augment with a vest on those cold glassing spells in October.
0ace4173632a13f561b0b6208ccb33b6.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Grumman is a great jacket. I have lost some feathers. I have not torn it. It's very warm for its weight. It will be interesting to see how it does over the next few months. I do fear it won't be as warm as I had hoped and will augment with a vest on those cold glassing spells in October.
I'm curious on your thoughts comparing this one to the Ghar jacket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The gen 1 Ghar is warmer than the Grumman IMO. BUT they went from a nylon face to a poly face to get the camo on the jacket. It could affect the warmth. Just got the new one will let you know when it’s gets colder.
472d09493cf1539e4958a758ae206340.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
The gen 1 Ghar is warmer than the Grumman IMO. BUT they went from a nylon face to a poly face to get the camo on the jacket. It could affect the warmth. Just got the new one will let you know when it’s gets colder.
472d09493cf1539e4958a758ae206340.jpg

Roger that. Standing by to stand by.

MtnMuley

WKR
This jacket is pretty true to size, but in doubt, I'd size up. Putting it to the test the next couple weeks and I feel pretty confident its weight to warmth ratio will be perfect for me. As far as synthetics go, I'd look at the newest Sitka Kelvin hard. Incredible loft and warmth.

Ryan have you tried the KUIU superdown Pro? just curious thoughts on warmth between the Grumman and Superdown Pro in real field use. I compared both but it was just around my house and the temps were not that cold. The grumman should be a hair warmer just do to 150grams vs 141grams of insulation, but I couldn't really tell a noticeable difference.

Anyone else able to completely see through the stitching/fabric? I held mine up to the light and could see a ton of light coming through. Can't imagine that's good for wind and heat retention? I bought a Skre Ptarmigan and can't see through it even a little bit.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Anyone else able to completely see through the stitching/fabric? I held mine up to the light and could see a ton of light coming through. Can't imagine that's good for wind and heat retention? I bought a Skre Ptarmigan and can't see through it even a little bit.

Going from 15D to 20D on the face fabric will make it less see through. But I don’t notice any difference in warmth/wind between these two. My Ptarmigan is 16.5 oz not 12.5 like it was listed on the website. But it’s a great puffy for the price.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan have you tried the KUIU superdown Pro? just curious thoughts on warmth between the Grumman and Superdown Pro in real field use. I compared both but it was just around my house and the temps were not that cold. The grumman should be a hair warmer just do to 150grams vs 141grams of insulation, but I couldn't really tell a noticeable difference.

The super down pro feels warmer to me. I would guess it’s because of the 30D face, it cuts wind better?? But I would choose the Grumman for most hunts because the Pro is almost impossible to put under a rain jacket without compressing the shit out of the down. For some reason the pro is very “puffy” compared to the Grumman. Like Kuiu states, its meant to go on as an outer layer for glassing.

Going from 15D to 20D on the face fabric will make it less see through. But I don’t notice any difference in warmth/wind between these two. My Ptarmigan is 16.5 oz not 12.5 like it was listed on the website. But it’s a great puffy for the price.

Ya, my medium is 15.5 Oz without the stuff sack. I'm assuming they didn't update the page from the old model Ptarmigan which was a little lighter.

Welp after returning the grumman at beginning of year, trying out the KUIU superdown Pro, and ended up using the FL Uncompaghrae puffy on my last hunt; I decided to try out the SG Grumman again so just placed an order. After I get some use on it I will report back again and see if my original opinion changes.

Ryan, do you ever run into problems with the down soaking up moisture and becoming useless after long hikes and being sweaty?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yes! Had this happen with an Outdoor Research puffy and a Kuiu Super Down Ultra jacket. I don’t give a shit what they tell you any down can go flat on you.

Yes! Had this happen with an Outdoor Research puffy and a Kuiu Super Down Ultra jacket. I don’t give a shit what they tell you any down can go flat on you.

Is there anything you can do to fix it once it's happened? Just a normal wash and rinse cycle?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, you gotta dry the shit out of it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have the Granger down wash kit. I rarely wash the down(Every couple years) but I will put the down piece in the dryer with the balls that come with the kit and dry it on delicate. It brings the loft back.

Last edited:
Is that for when it's actually physically wet still or when the down is all gummed up and greasy from dried sweat over multiple uses?

So Ryan, gun to your head if you could only have one down puffy for both hunting and everyday wear, which one are you going with based on your experience at this point? SG, Kuiu or something else?

The super down pro feels warmer to me. I would guess it’s because of the 30D face, it cuts wind better?? But I would choose the Grumman for most hunts because the Pro is almost impossible to put under a rain jacket without compressing the shit out of the down. For some reason the pro is very “puffy” compared to the Grumman. Like Kuiu states, its meant to go on as an outer layer for glassing.