Arrow weight and speed

Roosie, You are correct in your assumptions...bears are fairly easy to penetrate...easier than elk. Most of the comments on heavy arrows req'd haven't killed many if any bears. And polar bears are thick with a lot if fat and hair, but I still got excellent penetration into the far shoulder....about 29" in fact. The 1 yard long blood trail was easy to follow on the snow too! This was an animal bigger than a year old beef cow. Browns and grizzlies penetrate similar in my experience.

As per rifles on grizzlies....I had a BC old timer now dead tell me that his .270 using deer bullets resulted in faster kills than his .338 Win Mag. Sample size was a few with each caliber.

I had a friend shoot two grizzlies over a 3 year period with his .338 Win Mag and Barnes copper bullets. On both, at around a 200 yard shot distance, he placed the first shot into the shoulder/leg bone area to "break it down". In both cases he had a PO'd bear that lived quite a while and took multiple shots to kill...bionic bears that roared and scared hell out of the two hunters!

Another hunting buddy who is primarily a skilled bowhunter but was sporting a broken arm (Mt bike wreck) shot a grizzly, also with a .338 Win Mag....unsure of which bullets. He shot it back in the lungs like he would arrow a bear. Almost instantly he had a dead grizzly, no muss or fuss.

The Inuits I hunted polar bear with had an iPhone video of a client shooting a bear with a .338 Win Mag. Hunter broke down the bear with two shots to front shoulder area. Bear continued to "pedal" around, sledding on his chest propelled by his hind legs for a good minute chasing the bear dogs. 4 or 5 shots in total before he died. Again....a case of shooting too far forward to "break him down" resulted in lack of killing shots into the lung and heart area.

The assistant guide filled his polar bear tag every year with his .222 Remington and 50 gr soft points...same rifle he bought in high school and hunted seals with. I asked him about shot placement and he responded that he typically would shoot the bear facing him at about 70 yards, penetrating the front of the bear into the heart. He indicated he would usually shoot the bear 2 or 3 times in that spot and that was that.

Personally I'd be at about 500 grains with a sharp broadhead that flies where I want it to go. Don't over think it.

Beendare

WKR
That’s what I’m guessing too, just curious if I’m missing something? And agree with you on predatory animals vs prey, exactly my experience
I have seen a couple big brown bears up close....and its a come to Jesus moment how shockingly big they really are...literally a VW Bug with fur. One I jumped in the alders on Kodiak had to b 1,200 pounds and 5 1/2' at the back.

I saw one bear on my second to last Kodiak trip that looked through the binos like he was 12' long [probably 10' anyway] - a giant.

Comparing Blacks to a Brown bear is like a big mature bull elk to a whitetail. I've never shot one and have no desire to do so...its like an elephant to me...just no desire. I would guess the bone structure on a big Brownie is massive.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
0 elk hurt yet, but going out west again this year ( bc i like suffering and tagsoup). 75lb 80% let off, DL 28.5 shooting axis 5mm 260 spines with 100g fixed and right at 504g. Seems to be moving right around the 260-70fps mark or just below. I blew through a doe that I could of passed through w my recurve last year since she was at 13 yards full broadside with me in ground blind and she took one jump and one 10 yard sprint before crashing.

accuracy wise, im the problem most days but these were not fun to tune which is why il probably go to a 430-450 arrow that flies better for this trip.