Back Country Tent Camping Vs. Hammocks

Sorry I did not list my entire gear set up for you. I will be bringing a second bag to run under and my insulated sleeping pad just in case. I am not buying an UL tarp just to test it out so since I am close to the truck I will use a heavy plastic tarp. I have read a fair amount about hammocks, I'm really just curious if I will be comfortable throughout the entire night in one. Projected temps will be about 16 degrees so not too cold.

I have bitten my tongue a little in this reply but I will leave you with a simple cheer up a bit dude.

Sounds like a reasonable attempt. I'd never advise someone to buy the expensive stuff without trying it out first...I also went super cheap initially. I'm attempting to bust the perception that hammocks aren't functional in cool/bad weather that is propagated by folks that assume a hammock is a hanging tent and don't give it the proper consideration.

Again, my intention was not to call you out. I was more interested in pointing out flaws in your methodology, albeit untactful. Enjoy your time out and in the hammock; more importantly, I hope you locate some animals!

Last edited:
Reactions: KBC

ChrisS

WKR
For anyone reading this, yes, hammock camping tech has improved since 30 years ago.

My system is a shade over 5 1/4 lbs. Which is totally acceptable for the quality of sleep I get vs. sleeping on the ground.

Warbonnet El Dorado (40d) minus the bugnet
Warbonnet Minifly plus 4 stakes, mini carabiners and ridgeline
Hammockgear Burrow 20f
Hammockgear Econ UQ 20f
Nylon tree straps, whoopie slings, and carabiners for suspension.

I can hang that anywhere I can find two trees 12-15' apart and I'll sleep like a baby.

BigSky

WKR
Tent all the way. You can cook inside the vestibule, you can heat the tent, and you have more room for gear storage. Free standing tents are just so convenient.

People need to be aware that when talking about hammock camping, hammocks are hung under a tarp. You can cook not only under a tarp while hammock camping; but, you can do so comfortably while sitting in the hammock. When I tent camp I usually have less room for gear because my bag and air mattress are taking up floor space. That doesn't occur while hammocking under a tarp.

Once again, it sounds both absurd; and obvious but, the only way you will have more room for gear in a tent vs a hammock is to have a larger tent than a tarp to which you are comparing. I don't have a single hammock tarp that gives me the square footage of my 6-man teepee. I just don't carry a tarp that big. So, with my 6 man teepee, I have much more room for gear storage than with my hammock tarps. All four of my other backpack hunting tents (2 two-man and 2 one-man) have significantly less usable space than under my hammock tarps.

The only way you can have more room in onc shelter vs another is to have one that has more floor square footage, period. A tent with 100 square feet of floor space will have the exact same square footage as a tarp with 100 square feet of floor space. A tarp, can be anchored to the ground thus creating a tent. The main difference between the 100 square feet of floor space, in my example, in tent vs hammock/tarp is that all of the floor space under a hammock is usable space while that under my mattress and sleeping bag is not, unless I roll up my bedding in order to utilize it.

My most comfortable sleep is in a hammock. My favorite solo shelter is a 6-man teepee.

That is great for you. I understand your floor space coverage point. I should have clarified that I like the fully enclosed space.

That said, my favorite solo shelter is either my Seek Outside Cimmaron or my Kifaru Sawtooth.

I spent last weekend in my REI half dome plus 2 man just for the bug protection and ease of use.

I can appreciate hammocks but they aren’t for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSky

WKR
Well, I guess I should have started my post with "that's great for you". Sorry if I stepped on your toes; but, facts are facts. Now, opinions, are a whole new ball game. Like I said, I like and use both; but, dissuading someone from trying something by making non-factual statements that are UNINTENTIONALLY misleading is not helpful and needs to be corrected. There are just too many incorrect statements on this whole "debate" when it comes to hammocks vs tents.

Sorry I did not list my entire gear set up for you. I will be bringing a second bag to run under and my insulated sleeping pad just in case. I am not buying an UL tarp just to test it out so since I am close to the truck I will use a heavy plastic tarp. I have read a fair amount about hammocks, I'm really just curious if I will be comfortable throughout the entire night in one. Projected temps will be about 16 degrees so not too cold.

I have bitten my tongue a little in this reply but I will leave you with a simple cheer up a bit dude.

If you are concerned about being cold, and since you will be hanging next to your truck, I recommend taking a wool blanket if you have one. One of those underneath you in the hammock gives you great insulation. I did something kind of similar the first time I hammock-camped - I bought an inexpensive hammock, picked up some webbing, learned how to tie some knots, and practiced hanging the hammock in the woods behind my apartment. I hung underneath a tarp I already had and used a sleeping bag and a wool blanket as insulation. Not sure of the exact temps, but it was early April, so pretty chilly and also very damp. I'm a cold sleeper as well, and I'm not even sure the old sleeping bag I brought was rated for the conditions, but the wool blanket did the trick.

Now years later I'm too embarrassed to say how much money I've spent on my hammocking set up, but it was that first trip that got me hooked. I'm never so comfortable as when I'm sleeping in a hammock. Happy hanging!

Well, I guess I should have started my post with "that's great for you". Sorry if I stepped on your toes; but, facts are facts. Now, opinions, are a whole new ball game. Like I said, I like and use both; but, dissuading someone from trying something by making non-factual statements that are UNINTENTIONALLY misleading is not helpful and needs to be corrected. There are just too many incorrect statements on this whole "debate" when it comes to hammocks vs tents.

You didn’t step on my toes. I am fine. I edited my post for “fully enclosed gear storage”. I still don’t think you can start up your stove and heat up your hammock for comfort but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSky

WKR
I've done it; but, it does not work as well as it does in a teepee or tent because I won't use a tarp large enough to make it as workable. Heck, I don't even like using the stove in my tarp when I'm using it solo without a hammock. When I first got my Kifaru paratipi I used the stove once and figured I just didn't have enough room to not melt gear. I guess that was why I first went up to a 6 man for solo with stove use.

I do, however, have tarps with fully enclosed (encloseable) ends. Stove use? Optimum in tent/teepee for sure. As for fully enclosed, you are sort of right as to get full enclosure with my tarp, all the way to the ground, I do have to hang my hammock in such a manner as that it is only about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. I guess I could get a 12'x12' tarp or larger; but, now I'm getting into the realm of unnecessary absurdity.

Beendare

WKR
It is great to hear all the different things on how you guys run your sleeping systems.

Personally I only run a hammock in ideal conditions- so summer backpack trips that type of thing.

For me, a hammock doesn't have the multi purpose functionality of a tent on a hunt. Simple things like cooking a cup of Java or assembling more Grouse arrows while still 1/2 in your sleeping bag can't be done in a hammock.

OP
1shotgear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Personally I only run a hammock in ideal conditions- so summer backpack trips that type of thing.

For me, a hammock doesn't have the multi purpose functionality of a tent on a hunt. Simple things like cooking a cup of Java or assembling more Grouse arrows while still 1/2 in your sleeping bag can't be done in a hammock.

I do agree that space management is always better in a tent and when it comes to bad weather or high country hunts you will never beat a tent but I have both cooked and played with my gear while in my hammock and tarp set up. In those cases I just use my hammock as my camp chair and my tarp becomes my canopy from the elements. I will take some photos to show you guys and girls who would like to see how on my scouting trip this weekend.

You didn’t step on my toes. I am fine. I edited my post for “fully enclosed gear storage”. I still don’t think you can start up your stove and heat up your hammock for comfort but I could be wrong.

There is actually a guy who makes specialized tarps specifically for "hot hammocking." Look up "Smokehouse" on Youtube or on hammockforums. Other people have also come up with their own solutions. What you end up with is basically a suspended tent over your hammock - it's a fully enclosed structure (floorless obviously). I don't think that you could have a heated hammock shelter with a more standard tarp though. Even if you had a stovejack in a normal tarp, it seems like all the heat would escape if you weren't fully enclosed. I mean, it's not like it wouldn't still warm you up, but it's not going to function the same way. People don't tend to pitch tarps tight to the ground when hammock camping (but I guess you could if you had a larger tarp with doors).

I just spent 11 nights tent camping in Philmont NM with my son's Boy Scout troop.

They don't allow hammocks there.... Ughhh....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

welpro222

WKR
I've gone from hammock to Kifaru Megatarp to Kifaru Tut and back to hammock. It is really hard to say which one is best. The only down side to most smaller tarps or tent is sometimes its a pain to crawl in/out of. Hammocks can weight more depending on your setup.

For those who fear or have experience being cold in a hammock. The right underquilt will keep you warm. I had Native Textiles build me an underquilt with similar materials/fill as the Kifaru doobie and it is awesome.

Last edited: