Tent Q: 4-season Freestanding Tent Soulo or Stormstar?

dapesche

WKR
hoping someone may have gone through this decision before.

Right now I am focused on the kuiu stormstar 2p or the Hille Soulo. I am leaning towards the Soulo, but before I spend the money I was hoping for some feedback on going for a 2p for solo use.

The Soulo sounds perfect, but what it lacks is space.

a 2p 4 season tent will match the Soulo for weight, and give more interior space vs. leaving gear in the vestibule.

Do I buy the Soulo and be happy with a compact, burly tent?

Should I seriously consider buying a 2p tent so that I can store some gear inside the tent, and just deal with the larger footprint?

Please share any experiences you might have.

Thank you!

Hilleberg is about twice the quality of KUIU but it's half the size. Storm Star is more than enough for most hunts but the Hilleberg is more storm worthy overall if you're expecting monster wind.

schmalzy

WKR
Hilleberg is about twice the quality of KUIU but it's half the size. Storm Star is more than enough for most hunts but the Hilleberg is more storm worthy overall if you're expecting monster wind.

I personally didn’t think the gap was that big. I Own a Soulo and have spent a night in AK in a Storm Star. I think the Storm Star is pretty damn solid and the extra space was nice.

OP, I don’t think you can go wrong either way, but having some extra room is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Have you considered a TarpTent Scarp? Worthy of a look at least. I've had a Soulo, still regret selling it, but I'm prone to head scratching decisions at times lol. Those Scarps are burly shelters, plenty of YouTube videos out there on them.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
thanks for the heads up on that Scrap. Had a peak at it. A bit too complex for my liking. Seems like there are some add ins you can purchase to make it more sturdy, but it just looks like there are attaching more stuff to firm it up.

Other tents including the Soulo just look like a better, beefy design.

sneaky

"DADDY"
thanks for the heads up on that Scrap. Had a peak at it. A bit too complex for my liking. Seems like there are some add ins you can purchase to make it more sturdy, but it just looks like there are attaching more stuff to firm it up.

Other tents including the Soulo just look like a better, beefy design.
Complex? It's 3 poles and six stakes. Ton more room than the Soulo. You can run it with only the crossing pole if the weather isn't going to be bad. It's a more versatile shelter than the Soulo. Hille makes great tents, but they are limited in the scope of where they actually work as intended. You won't be using the Soulo in warm weather, unless you like sweating, the ventilation just can't keep up. End walls slope, if you're under 6' it's probably not an issue, it will be if you're over 6'. Vertical foot sections in the Scarps mean you have full usable length without hitting your feet or your bag on the wall. Still trying to wrap my mind around how you think the Scarp is too complex.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Complex? It's 3 poles and six stakes. Ton more room than the Soulo. You can run it with only the crossing pole if the weather isn't going to be bad. It's a more versatile shelter than the Soulo. Hille makes great tents, but they are limited in the scope of where they actually work as intended. You won't be using the Soulo in warm weather, unless you like sweating, the ventilation just can't keep up. End walls slope, if you're under 6' it's probably not an issue, it will be if you're over 6'. Vertical foot sections in the Scarps mean you have full usable length without hitting your feet or your bag on the wall. Still trying to wrap my mind around how you think the Scarp is too complex.

may 'complex' is the wrong word. For me too many moving parts.
I didn't say it was a bad tent, or that it was a tent that wouldn't work in the conditions I need it to.

I have other tents for early season.

I am just looking for a pretty niche tent 1p or 2p that I can trust in some pretty terrible conditions. Not looking for a jack of all trades type tent.

For those that have experience with all of these many tents, is there a reason you would stay away from the Stone Glacier as one of the possible options?

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
only thing for me is that the stone glacier has a strange vent that could let in water too easily. The tent fly also doesn't get down to the ground level in all the photos I have seen. That tent is too much like my family's Mtn Hardware Aspect 3 tent, but with a couple additions to toughen it up.

curious to hear what others think.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d add the Niak to the list if you want roomy for one (double for two, but cozy). I use it all winter and year round if I’m expecting rough weather.

Not ultralight, but light for the performance.

You didn't say anything like that to me when I was deciding on a tent for Alaska

I really really really enjoyed the dual vestibule.

All brands aside. If it doesn't have dual vestibule, who ever designed it needs a kick to the groin.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
For those that have experience with all of these many tents, is there a reason you would stay away from the Stone Glacier as one of the possible options?
No. And they guy that did the 4-season SG tent design (Martin Zemitis) is a LOT more experienced with tent design that anything Kuiu is doing. But I've heard good things generally about the storm star, and cannot recall much for negative reports.

Hilleberg is different in design, production and materials than most. Thus the reputation (and price). Bomber stuff, and they are expanding their offerings for more conditions. The shorter footprints kinda drive me crazy with some of the models.

As far as the why with the SG tents: look at things like pole diameter, materials, guy lines, etc. The internal guy lines really help, along with the trek pole side riggers. So do the continuous guy-line tie out locations, and the webtruss pole structure (or in other words, continuous pole loading via sleeve like hillebergs). The fly is cut a bit higher because you need a lot of help with ventilation in 4-season conditions. The idea that not being able to bury the fly edge in the snow is going to somehow bring down your tent does not make a ton of sense - but the 4-season SG 2P tent is not an "expedition" or Everest tent, it is made for 4-season backpacking (see: https://www.slingfin.com/products/crossbow-2-four-season). I would also look at internal volume and where it is located.

I think the vent you are referring to is the through-vent to help with ventilation. If it leaked, it wouldn't be included in the design, would not worry about that.

HoneyDew

WKR
Love my SG skyscraper. But I do have the previous gen so I can’t talk to the vent’s impact.