Back Country Tent Camping Vs. Hammocks

rewild

FNG
Switched to hammocking 5 or 6 years ago and don't see going back to a tent...

You've nearly got me convinced. What is your underquilt made of? What brand/model is your hammock? And, what size tarp do you use and how do you rig it? Thanks for your insightful comments.

Brendan

WKR
Ok, let's hear some opinions on this.

How much heavier is your backcountry hammock setup than a pad/bag/tarp setup? I get it where weight isn't a concern (I have a Sawtooth, stove, helinox cot and chair I'll bring) but what about when it does matter?

For me this year - I'll carry a Borah bug bivy or Katabatic bristlecone bivy to keep pad and quilt together, Thermarest Neoair, EE Quilt, then Dyneema Tarp (Eolus w/o nest) that works with trekking poles I'll be carrying anyways.

You've nearly got me convinced. What is your underquilt made of? What brand/model is your hammock? And, what size tarp do you use and how do you rig it? Thanks for your insightful comments.

I made my own underquilt with Membrane 10 (taffeta nylon) and 650 down. Was shooting for a 15* quilt but I was being cheap and should have gone for better down. I probably won't make my own again, that was a lot of work and stuffing down made an unreal mess. An EE or Warbonnet underquilt for super cold temps is next on my list.

I now run the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with their Mountainfly tarp. I just adjust the tarp setup depending on the weather. Most weather I tie it high and open for max room and standing under, when it gets nasty I drop it down closer to the hammock where the sides are nearly on the ground. If I did it over again, I probably would have gone with the Superfly but I'm not terribly unhappy with my current fly.

Previously, when I was poor and unsure if I'd like hammocking, I ran an Eno double with about 12' tyvek cut into a hex. For insulation underneath, I used a mylar suncreen for cars to reflect heat and just stuffed all my wearable insulation under that (mostly under my butt). I was able to get by in ~25-30* temps with that; got lucky those years and it never really got super cold like last season.

I still use a full sleeping bag in my hammock because I'm cheap and don't feel I can justify a topquilt. Could easily lose some weight there.

Warbonnet Hammock setup - 81oz (not including sleeping bag)
BA Fly Creek 2 tent setup - 73oz (not including sleeping bag)

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR

Ok, my comparable weight with my floorless shelter is 47oz, (Not including my bag or quilt) so looking at a couple pounds... (Eolus, stakes, bug bivy, thermarest for me)

Edit - 70 oz with quilt ready to sleep, good down into the high 20's for me..

Anyone else have system weights for comparison?

Last edited:

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
My Dream hammock with bug net, tarp, stakes and straps comes in at 47.5 oz with no quilts. With my 20 degree under quilt and top quilt its 106 oz. total. With my set of 40 degree quilts its 87 oz. total. I could cut about 10 oz. off if I went with a dyneema tarp, and another 5 oz. with no bug net. I like the net because it keeps my pillow and extra clothes in the hammock as flop around at night. I have never woke up stiff or sore in a hammock yet. I am a side sleeper and toss and turn all night. If you set them up right i don't know how you could flip out of one. I like my downy cocoon.

Attachments

• Hammock.jpg
    Hammock.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 44

Jakeemt

FNG
Hammock here. I have a henessey for light weight and an tree flight for truck stuff. I love the versatility. Hang anywhere, more comfortable, lighter, and can be a chair as well.

Shraggs

WKR

Henessy hammock hyper-lite 1.5 lbs in sack
Bear paw 10x10 flat cuben tarp 8.5 oz
EE 20 revelation reg wide quilt 17 oz
EE 20 revolt short under quilt 13 oz

With couple of stakes, hammock setup for early season is 4 lbs 2 oz.

MLD solomid xl or LG Happi with lines and stacks should be one pound or under 14 oz. still deciding.
EE quilt above 17 oz
Thermarest long is 1 lb. 4 oz.
jimmy tarps bivy I think is 5 oz.

So tent setup for early season is 3 lbs 9 oz so half pound less to be on the ground solo either way.

I made my own underquilt with Membrane 10 (taffeta nylon) and 650 down. Was shooting for a 15* quilt but I was being cheap and should have gone for better down. I probably won't make my own again, that was a lot of work and stuffing down made an unreal mess. An EE or Warbonnet underquilt for super cold temps is next on my list.

I now run the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with their Mountainfly tarp. I just adjust the tarp setup depending on the weather. Most weather I tie it high and open for max room and standing under, when it gets nasty I drop it down closer to the hammock where the sides are nearly on the ground. If I did it over again, I probably would have gone with the Superfly but I'm not terribly unhappy with my current fly.

Previously, when I was poor and unsure if I'd like hammocking, I ran an Eno double with about 12' tyvek cut into a hex. For insulation underneath, I used a mylar suncreen for cars to reflect heat and just stuffed all my wearable insulation under that (mostly under my butt). I was able to get by in ~25-30* temps with that; got lucky those years and it never really got super cold like last season.

I still use a full sleeping bag in my hammock because I'm cheap and don't feel I can justify a topquilt. Could easily lose some weight there.

I highly recommend the wookie with the blackbird, truly just 30 seconds to attach and no fidgeting it's a perfect fit and they're rated true.

Wojo14

WKR
Bottom line for me...
Hammocks are more comfortable. I sleep way better. I am always playing with set ups trying to get it perfect. I like to tinker.
Warm underquilt is a MUST!

Mike 338

WKR
Been using a hammock lately. Downside is that not all places have a nice stand of trees. Also, trees can be to far apart which makes for a hard set up. Even with tents, I cook outside in the weather so that hasn't been a thing yet. With the right hammock, I have no hip or shoulder pressure/pain throughout the night, like I get on the ground. I don't slide off the pad so right there is a two or three times a night I don't wake up to get back on the pad. So long as I have a book, being hammock bound isn't bad in bad weather. Hammock setup's aren't lighter. I may also bring a mini tarp or just get one of those super tarps to spread out and cook in/under.

KBC

WKR
Heading out this weekend on a scouting trip. I'll be camped at the truck so I'm going to try sleeping in a hammock from costco I was given a few years ago and just set up a chap plastic tarp over top. I don't have any light weight shelter or sleep system yet so hopefully I will find out if a hammock is right for me.

Heading out this weekend on a scouting trip. I'll be camped at the truck so I'm going to try sleeping in a hammock from costco I was given a few years ago and just set up a chap plastic tarp over top. I don't have any light weight shelter or sleep system yet so hopefully I will find out if a hammock is right for me.

So, you are going to try it out minimally equipped and unknowledgeable (aka not even trying) and that will be the basis for determining whether hammocking is right for you?

Based on what you say you are bringing; hammock, bag, tarp, (I'm assuming a sleeping bag) I can guarantee you that it is not for you and recommend that you don't waste a night's sleep if that is truly your basis for comparison. I don't know what elevation/climate you will be in, but I have been miserable in 50*F temps and I was trying.

Not trying to call you out but I've seen so much "hammocks aren't for cold temps", "hammocks can't handle weather", etc on this forum and its because people are cutting corners with the apparent idea that hammocks are some sort of magical solution. They're not, they are another choice depending on your preferences.

Hammocking is not and should not be considered a replacement for floorless shelters/tarps weight-wise. As I previously mentioned, they can sometimes be heavier than a double-walled tent. They are meant for convenience and comfort not necessarily UL.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider

Go for it and enjoy. If I’d given up the first time I went camping I would have missed out on a lot of adventures. You absolutely don’t need the latest and greatest to find out if you like something.

Shraggs

WKR
Bring a second sleeping bag and close pins and fashion an under quilt. I think the cold from below is the first I give up on hammocks. Second is hanging it level and tight.

Not sure what weather you're going to be in but anything below upper 60s and you're going to be cold in a sleeping bag. Watch some you tube videos on how to hang and spend at least 3 nights at the house where you can see how it works for you and its easy to go inside before you go all out not experienced and get pissed when it doesn't feel right or you're cold and don't have other options. Most people i know that say they don't like hammocks really don't know what they're doing with one, they stretch it between 2 trees and when it isn't comfortable they don't like it and give up on it but it's because they didn't put any time or effort into figuring it out first. Anyone can put up a tent but hanging is more equivalent to sleeping in a tent in a heavy rain in steep terrain, if you put the tent in a wash or a low area your night's gonna suck, you have to know a little bit about what you need to do and have a little planning to make it a good night.

Tent all the way. You can cook inside the vestibule, you can heat the tent, and you have more room for enclosed gear storage. Free standing tents are just so convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m a stomach sleeper. No hammock for me. Kind of jealous of people who can make it happen. Worst case, flip your hammock over on the ground like a tarp is there aren’t any trees around.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Here's an advantage. On this trip I was on a trail that still had a foot and a half of snow but I found this hill where there was no snow at all. Certainly not tent friendly
There are many pros and cons but I think the common denominator for us is comfort. Once you learn how to hang and work out any newbie kinks, it is a far superior way to sleep in the back country. I would seriously do some more research after you get some suggestions here. If you want to a lighter weight and proven hammock system, then going with our vendors here is the way to go IMO. Warbonnet outdoors makes the Blackbird which is the most popular camping hammock here but other vendors like Dream Hammocks have great products and service as well.

When will you be doing most of your camping? In addition to a hammock, tarp and bugnet, you will need top and bottom insulation. Because of convective heat loss your back can become cool even in moderately warmer temperature

I have nothing against Kammock but I would not use their gear for backcountry trips simply because there are better options available IMO.

BigSky

WKR
I gave up the hammock hunting about two years ago just because I like it better if weather goes bad to have room to move around and being able to cook from inside the tent.

I do both. However, I much prefer sleeping in a hammock. FOR ME, it is significantly more comfortable. For those who say one is significantly heavier than the other, you haven't tried enough options.

As to the quote above, scott, I'm not attacking you it's just that I see this come up quite often. I don't see how you can have more room in a smaller tent compared to a tarp that is larger. I know that sounds absurd; but, you can have either a larger tarp or a larger tent. Lightweight materials are available for both and are a blessing. It's nice to have options.

By the way, my method of counting ounces goes as follows. Pick it up and say to self, "self, that's what that weighs". Then, either feel satisfied or remove/change items. No scale involved. Hey, it's just my method. Just like when someone asks me how much my rifle weighs. I shrug my shoulders, state "I don't know", hand them the rifle and say, "here, feel for yourself".

KBC

WKR
So, you are going to try it out minimally equipped and unknowledgeable (aka not even trying) and that will be the basis for determining whether hammocking is right for you?

Based on what you say you are bringing; hammock, bag, tarp, (I'm assuming a sleeping bag) I can guarantee you that it is not for you and recommend that you don't waste a night's sleep if that is truly your basis for comparison. I don't know what elevation/climate you will be in, but I have been miserable in 50*F temps and I was trying.

Not trying to call you out but I've seen so much "hammocks aren't for cold temps", "hammocks can't handle weather", etc on this forum and its because people are cutting corners with the apparent idea that hammocks are some sort of magical solution. They're not, they are another choice depending on your preferences.

Hammocking is not and should not be considered a replacement for floorless shelters/tarps weight-wise. As I previously mentioned, they can sometimes be heavier than a double-walled tent. They are meant for convenience and comfort not necessarily UL.
Sorry I did not list my entire gear set up for you. I will be bringing a second bag to run under and my insulated sleeping pad just in case. I am not buying an UL tarp just to test it out so since I am close to the truck I will use a heavy plastic tarp. I have read a fair amount about hammocks, I'm really just curious if I will be comfortable throughout the entire night in one. Projected temps will be about 16 degrees so not too cold.

I have bitten my tongue a little in this reply but I will leave you with a simple cheer up a bit dude.