Backcountry Boots?

Hello all,

I am in the market for a pair of new hunting boots, ideally under $250 or so. I would like these to be an all around boot, so from bear in August, to elk in early November. I have been wearing Georgia work boots, but for longer hikes they are not comfortable.

I really need these for my backcountry mule deer hunt in September, so need to start the break in process now.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi Colorado’s are on sale right now for $300, definitely worth the price. I use mine from summer scouting to deep snow in the winter. Gortex, good breath ability, great ankle support, the stiffness handles the steep stuff and pack outs with no problem. Just put a pair of Lathrop and Sons insoles in them and made them a whole new boot in a good way. With the right sock they really can do it all, I also do very little sitting. Also didn’t require any break in, so that’s a plus. I know all feet are different, but my hunting partner has the same pair and he has no problems besides they don’t do the best if you do a lot of walking in flat terrain because of the stiffness. He’s putting sheep feet in his.

Rhatter

FNG
I really like the Lowa line of mountain boots. I used them on a high altitude goat hunt I guided in Colorado. Worked really well. They are pricey however

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boot, looking for a new boot. I've had aslo 520 for about 5 years and LOVE them, But their quality has gone down hill big time! I made my mind up on the Crispi Nevada, they have a bigger price tag, my local Scheels only had the Colorado, as stated above, wow! I'm blown away how good they feel, I've been wearing them around the house for a week. And I prefer a full leather boot, but for that price, and how good they've felt I'm keeping them.

mlgc20

WKR
I also like the Lowa boots. I use my Renegade Mids for everything. Even though they are uninsulated, I used them in New Mexico the past two December’s where the temps got below zero. And I can use them in Colorado during archery season. They are the perfect boots for me. Although I do replace the insoles with Superfeet Blues.

OP
B
Crispi Colorado’s are on sale right now for $300, definitely worth the price. I use mine from summer scouting to deep snow in the winter. Gortex, good breath ability, great ankle support, the stiffness handles the steep stuff and pack outs with no problem. Just put a pair of Lathrop and Sons insoles in them and made them a whole new boot in a good way. With the right sock they really can do it all, I also do very little sitting. Also didn’t require any break in, so that’s a plus. I know all feet are different, but my hunting partner has the same pair and he has no problems besides they don’t do the best if you do a lot of walking in flat terrain because of the stiffness. He’s putting sheep feet in his.

Thank you for the info. Do you know how long the sale is going on for?

Spoonman

WKR
I wear the Scarpa Ribella’s and love them. They are on the stiffer side but they are very comfortable for me and one of the only boots to keep my feet dry. If I want wet feel I’ll buy Crispi’s. All that being said just try on a bunch of different brands that you think you might like till you find one that fits your foot well. What I wear may not be good for you.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
^^^I could see that in something without gortex. I have yet to have any problems with mine, from small creek crossings, to post holing in snow, I’ve had dry feet. I also regularly clean mine and reapply a waterproof spray. Also I wear gaiters when I know I’ll encounter wet conditions. Only time they’ve been wet is when I wanted to cross deeper creek and the water was up to my thighs so that doesn’t really qualify.

Spoonman

WKR
^^^I could see that in something without gortex. I have yet to have any problems with mine, from small creek crossings, to post holing in snow, I’ve had dry feet. I also regularly clean mine and reapply a waterproof spray. Also I wear gaiters when I know I’ll encounter wet conditions. Only time they’ve been wet is when I wanted to cross deeper creek and the water was up to my thighs so that doesn’t really qualify.

Living up here in north west Washington I’ve had 2 pair of Crispi’s fail to keep my feet dry before I had them for a year. I’m on my second year with 2 diff pairs of Scarpas and still dry.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Living up here in north west Washington I’ve had 2 pair of Crispi’s fail to keep my feet dry before I had them for a year. I’m on my second year with 2 diff pairs of Scarpas and still dry.

Those are the wettest areas you can experience in the US, so you’re the outlier, doesn’t really help the OP out when looking for a boot for CO, WY, MT, which is where I’m taking he’s going to be hunting, and the moisture isn’t anything compared to that.

Spoonman

WKR
The op didn’t say where he was located but you are right it might not be the same condition. On the other hand if I’m using them in some of the worst conditions and finding that one brand is holding up better than another wouldn’t that show it’s superiority in country that is possibly a bit milder? I’m just saying what works for me out here.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, but your specific model puts him $100 over his desired budget as well.

Spoonman

WKR
I agree, but your specific model puts him $100 over his desired budget as well.

They are on sale all over the place most of the time. Currently they are on sale at Optics planet for $250.00. Either way, all I’m saying is they are a bad ass boot that holds up better than anything I have ever used and they keep my feet dry. They have a strong reputation for durability, and water proofing so that why I recommend them. That being said the op could find a totally different boot that works best for him. You won’t find many forums on them coming apart or leaking like you will with the Crispi’s like I had experienced. Crispi has amazing customer service for sure but so did Daewoo vehicle’s!

OP
B
Those are the wettest areas you can experience in the US, so you’re the outlier, doesn’t really help the OP out when looking for a boot for CO, WY, MT, which is where I’m taking he’s going to be hunting, and the moisture isn’t anything compared to that.
The op didn’t say where he was located but you are right it might not be the same condition. On the other hand if I’m using them in some of the worst conditions and finding that one brand is holding up better than another wouldn’t that show it’s superiority in country that is possibly a bit milder? I’m just saying what works for me out here.

I am actually in eastern WA, so not quite as wet as the west side aka wet side :D

I have unfortunately heard the Crispi's do have a tendency to leak, which is just something I don't want to mess around with. I know a poster recommended the Lowa's - any experience with these?

Spoonman

WKR
I am actually in eastern WA, so not quite as wet as the west side aka wet side :D

I have unfortunately heard the Crispi's do have a tendency to leak, which is just something I don't want to mess around with. I know a poster recommended the Lowa's - any experience with these?

I have not had any experience with Lowa other than trying a couple pair on and walking around in them and ultimately decided they didn’t feel great to me. I have tried Salewa and they are hands down the most comfortable boot I’ve ever had but again they didn’t keep my feet dry. My Crispi’s were very comfortable as well and if I was hunting somewhere that wasn’t wet I’d wear them.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
same as every other goretex boot I have tried they all seem to leak early into the second season