Backcountry Saw

Stalker69

WKR
I like the wyoming saws, I have 4 of them kicking around. The bone saw works well and the wood saw makes quick work out of firewood and poles.

I am with yea, my dad gave me one when I was about 12 ( now 57) and that thing is worth its weight. It’s helped out numerous times over the years. Wood and bone , love mine.

MThuntr

WKR
I have a Sven and have all but stopped using it in favor of a Silky folding saw. I liked the Sven to keep my pieces the right diameter but the folding saw allowed me to cut bigger pieces for fire pit style fires

mcseal2

WKR
Do you think the Bahco Laplander is better then the Silky? What's the smallest Silky you would use for cutting wood for the Seek outside stoves?

It’s better than the medium tooth Silky on bone. The medium tooth Silky wanted to jump out of the cut on bone. It’s faster than the Bahco on wood by quite a bit though. I don’t know all Silky’s sizes but I’d want a minimum of an 8” blade, preferably 10 or 12”. Even the Silky Big Boy 360 I have only weighs a pound.

The Bahco cuts wood and bone reasonably well. I like it because of versatility when I need to cut bone. For just wood I’d pack the Silky.

For the small thumb size wood I burn in my Seek stove most of the time I don’t need a saw, I can break it by hand. If I want to burn somewhat larger stuff and have a saw, the Bahco is enough to notch it where I want it broke and then snap it by hand.

Most of the time I’m using the tipi and XL stove a vehicle or plane is carrying it most of the way. If I’m backpacking I’m going with the Megatarp and Parastove that burns even smaller stuff. It needs fed a lot with little stuff.

mcseal2

WKR
To the OP are you backpacking most of the time or base camping? Also if you are backpacking what shelter are you using and how many people are you splitting it between?

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
To the OP are you backpacking most of the time or base camping? Also if you are backpacking what shelter are you using and how many people are you splitting it between?
Backcountry in the SO Redcliff. 2 to 3 people.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Silky Pocketboy 180- large tooth blade for wood, fine for bone- the extra blade only weighs maybe an ounce

I've used a ton of small saws and nothing cuts like a Silky

Hondo

WKR
Silky Pocketboy 180- large tooth blade for wood, fine for bone- the extra blade only weighs maybe an ounce

I've used a ton of small saws and nothing cuts like a Silky

This has been my setup for the last several years. Easy to to do a blade swap and have the best blade for both needs.

Beendare

WKR
I only use a saw when I'm saddle or tree stand hunting...and I use the Silky in post 14. I've used Silky saws at work for decades- great saws. I have many others including the Gerber which is junk compared to the Silky.

______

mcseal2

WKR
Never tried a Silky fine tooth. If it cuts bone well a small Silky with 2 blades sounds like a good combo. With 2 or 3 guys sharing a tipi you can handle the weight of any of these saws talked about.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
This has been my setup for the last several years. Easy to to do a blade swap and have the best blade for both needs.
So you think the Large blade is better then the Medium for dry fir and pine? Is the pocket boy big enough for something like a 4" round?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say medium or large you'd be fine with dry fir/pine; the Pocketboy is 130 mm and probably a little short for a 4" round, the 180 can handle a 4" round- the 180 also weighs less than the Pocketboy 130 (lighter handle mostly)

Rokbar

WKR
I've had a small Wyoming for years. Great tool for pa k. I have the large, but the small is my go to

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'd say medium or large you'd be fine with dry fir/pine; the Pocketboy is 130 mm and probably a little short for a 4" round, the 180 can handle a 4" round- the 180 also weighs less than the Pocketboy 130 (lighter handle mostly)
They make a Pocket Boy 170 too.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ they do and it's a nice saw as well, but for backpacking the lighter 180 makes more sense imo

Voyageur

WKR
It’s better than the medium tooth Silky on bone. The medium tooth Silky wanted to jump out of the cut on bone. It’s faster than the Bahco on wood by quite a bit though. I don’t know all Silky’s sizes but I’d want a minimum of an 8” blade, preferably 10 or 12”. Even the Silky Big Boy 360 I have only weighs a pound.

The Bahco cuts wood and bone reasonably well. I like it because of versatility when I need to cut bone. For just wood I’d pack the Silky.

For the small thumb size wood I burn in my Seek stove most of the time I don’t need a saw, I can break it by hand. If I want to burn somewhat larger stuff and have a saw, the Bahco is enough to notch it where I want it broke and then snap it by hand.

Most of the time I’m using the tipi and XL stove a vehicle or plane is carrying it most of the way. If I’m backpacking I’m going with the Megatarp and Parastove that burns even smaller stuff. It needs fed a lot with little stuff.
X2 on this

mcseal2

WKR
After trying the medium on bone it’s to coarse and did not do well. I’d say fine for bone. I’m not sure if a fine tooth Silky saw will be any faster than a Bahco on wood or not.

Greener or softer woods cut fastest with aggressive teeth. Harder wood cuts better with a moderate tooth. Bone cuts best with a finer tooth.

Silky saws are great for cutting wood due to their aggressive teeth. Aggressive teeth are not good on bone. It leaves a user carrying different blades or using a fine enough blade for bone and being ok with it being slower on wood.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
After trying the medium on bone it’s to coarse and did not do well. I’d say fine for bone. I’m not sure if a fine tooth Silky saw will be any faster than a Bahco on wood or not.

Greener or softer woods cut fastest with aggressive teeth. Harder wood cuts better with a moderate tooth. Bone cuts best with a finer tooth.

Silky saws are great for cutting wood due to their aggressive teeth. Aggressive teeth are not good on bone. It leaves a user carrying different blades or using a fine enough blade for bone and being ok with it being slower on wood.
Would you suggest a Medium tooth saw for dry pine and fir? I think I'm going to get an extra fine blade for bone but I don't know weather to go with a Large blade or a Medium blade for my stove. . .

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think either Large or Medium for the wood, I didn't know they made an extra fine- but yeah if they do grab it (fine is works too)