Backpacking travel rod suggestions?

Looking for a quality 3 or even 4 piece rod that will pack and fish well. Will be on a lake (possibly a stream nearby) in western Alaska in early Sept for 11 days.

Really liked the idea of this rod with the two different weight mid sections and two different action tips, plus the rod tube. Basically three rods and a tube for $200.

I then read where it says NO RETURNS ORV EXCHANGE ON RODS. ALL SALES FINAL. Knowing my luck it would show up with factory defect. My guess is they drop ship directly from a big name manufacturer and neither mfg nor the brand is going to deal with warranty with so little volume at hand. A shame. Folks really seem to like the rods.

St Croix appears to have some decent options. I kinda like TRS66MF4. 6’6”, M power, lure 1/4-5/8. Or one step up to MH power which gets me lure weight 3/8-3/4.

slvrslngr

WKR
St. Croix has a good, transferable warranty, just be sure to register the rod and keep your receipt.

OP
P
St. Croix has a good, transferable warranty, just be sure to register the rod and keep your receipt.
10-4. I’ve had bad and good luck with them. Years ago I built a 6 wt flor on a legend ultra. Tip section dinged by user error. Then broke. They replaced blank tip no questions asked.

OP
P
I’m not sure that applies to the travel rods. Think it’s 5 year and you pay shipping both ways.

Still not bad, though.

Marble

WKR
St Croix has performed wonderfully for me for over 20 years, and they backed their stuff 100%. Even when I broke one when I wasn't fishing. I think I had to pay $25 for a replacement rod that was around $275 new.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I closed a St. Croix rod in a car door, I believe it was like 50.00 to get a brand new one sent to me. I sent a form in and they called me. I had a new rod in a week or 2.

fatlander

WKR
I’ve yet to find a travel rod that colored me impressed. I was gifted a goture and LL bean. Neither have held up over time. Maybe St croix where I should look next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I have a fenwick 4 pc ML that I keep in my truck in the spring and fish after work or on my lunch that has served me very well. I like it enough I got one for my wife in Light action that I just use on occasion.........

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider

I have three of these two spinning rods and a baitcasting one. The two spinning rods are about 10 years old now and I used them almost everyday for 4 years when I was in college. Never had durability issues catching river smallmouth and even landed some big pike. Look for a decent hard case for them though if you bring them to the backcountry they only come with a soft one

Sherman

WKR
I have the same question as OP. My two teenage sons and myself are finally outfitted to backpack in the Rockies for multiple days at a time during the summer. We will be mostly fishing beaver ponds and small streams for brook trout with the occasional small lake. I was born and raised in the ocean and know everything about salt water fishing, but this fresh water stuff is new to me, so any advice on set-up and techniques for the fishing I described would be helpful as well.

OP
P

I have three of these two spinning rods and a baitcasting one. The two spinning rods are about 10 years old now and I used them almost everyday for 4 years when I was in college. Never had durability issues catching river smallmouth and even landed some big pike. Look for a decent hard case for them though if you bring them to the backcountry they only come with a soft one
Medium Light or Medium power?

No idea if we’d luck into any water with salmon or catchable big lake trout. Some of those critters get pretty big…. Plus pike possibility. Be nice to still have fun with grayling and little fish too.

OP
P
I have the same question as OP. My two teenage sons and myself are finally outfitted to backpack in the Rockies for multiple days at a time during the summer. We will be mostly fishing beaver ponds and small streams for brook trout with the occasional small lake. I was born and raised in the ocean and know everything about salt water fishing, but this fresh water stuff is new to me, so any advice on set-up and techniques for the fishing I described would be helpful as well.
I hear ya. I’ve caught just about everything that swims in Gulf of Mexico and east coast. Freshwater always embarrasses me!

St. Croix is a good product, good warranty. Gloomis became a pain to work with when Shimano bought them, lot of the outfitters Switched and never looked back.
For reasons I just don’t understand I have a lot of clients go on fly outs with their four piece rod in the soft tube liner. Amazing how many don’t even make it into the plane. Get a good tube.
Where are you headed?

St. Croix is a good product, good warranty. Gloomis became a pain to work with when Shimano bought them, lot of the outfitters Switched and never looked back.
For reasons I just don’t understand I have a lot of clients go on fly outs with their four piece rod in the soft tube liner. Amazing how many don’t even make it into the plane. Get a good tube.
Where are you headed?
I haven’t experienced that with G loomis at all- that being said I don’t know that they produce any travel rods anymore.

Another place to look may be at the offerings from TFO- they have a great warranty and make good products as well.

OP
P
So here’s a question. I found a decent option yesterday (thought it was the Fenwick) that came with two different mid (or maybe it was tip) section to change either power (mid section) or tip (action) but now I can’t find it.

I keep being drawn back to the Toadfish option. Really like the concept of two different mid sections and two different tips plus comes with waterproof hard case. Found a coupon code that gets it down to $165 and the rod is super light weight-wise.

OP
P
Where are you headed?
I’ve been buying st croix stuff here and there for well over 20 years and it’s a pretty darn nice product for a reasonable price.

Lately been buying quite a bit of custom stuff which usually turns out being a great quality / price ratio IMO.

OP
P
Well… went with the Toadfish. After taxes and with discount came to $180. That’s four possible configurations and a hard case.

Ordered the Medium / Medium heavy at 7’2.

REALLY struggled between this one and the Medium / Medium Light at 6’8”

Hope I didn’t order too much rod. Worst case scenario this one sticks to salt water and I need to order another light one.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Medium Light or Medium power?

No idea if we’d luck into any water with salmon or catchable big lake trout. Some of those critters get pretty big…. Plus pike possibility. Be nice to still have fun with grayling and little fish too.
I started with the medium light to throw weightless plastics and it handled strong smallmouth up to 3 pounds just fine flipping them up onto the banks even though I wouldn't condone that if you could avoid that. Then got the medium to throw bigger baits. Trout fishing streams with rooster tails or other small baits I use the medium light

OP
P
I started with the medium light to throw weightless plastics and it handled strong smallmouth up to 3 pounds just fine flipping them up onto the banks even though I wouldn't condone that if you could avoid that. Then got the medium to throw bigger baits. Trout fishing streams with rooster tails or other small baits I use the medium light

I got what they call a medium and a medium heavy (depending on which mid section you use). I probably should have gotten their Med Light or Med depending on mid section.

hopefully it’s not too much rod. I could probably call and have them exchange. The lighter combo is also 6’8 and I liked idea of 7’2” a little more. With fast tip selection I bet it can zip a small lure pretty well.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I got what they call a medium and a medium heavy (depending on which mid section you use). I probably should have gotten their Med Light or Med depending on mid section.

hopefully it’s not too much rod. I could probably call and have them exchange. The lighter combo is also 6’8 and I liked idea of 7’2” a little more. With fast tip selection I bet it can zip a small lure pretty well.
Medium is pretty versatile at least you should be fine. I always go 7' or more if I'm offshore fishing but if you are on a bank or a tight stream the shorter rods are nice. Don't have to worry about hitting branches or brush in your backcast. Learned that lesson the hard way when you go back to cast and get tangled 7 feet up in a tree or end up with a nasty backlash