Backpacking travel rod suggestions?

OP
P
Medium is pretty versatile at least you should be fine. I always go 7' or more if I'm offshore fishing but if you are on a bank or a tight stream the shorter rods are nice. Don't have to worry about hitting branches or brush in your backcast. Learned that lesson the hard way when you go back to cast and get tangled 7 feet up in a tree or end up with a nasty backlash
I had that thought but considered the fact that we’ll likely land on a lake. Although we’re very well May find ourselves on a stream either by
Foot or if we rent a boat. Even with that being said, if folks can find a way to fly fish on little hair creeks and streams, surely I can find a way to flip a lure out a pretty good ways even if it’s not a full on “cast” as you might think of it.

Obviously it’s a Friday and my mind is no NOT set on working!

OP
P
Well, Called up Toadfish (I hate even typing that) and canceled the 7’2 order for the Med or Med Heavy. Ordered the 6’8” Med or Med Light. Going to make it an Alaska then dedicated truck rod. $180 all said and done ain’t cheap, but it creates 4 rod options with hard tube. I have enough quality 1 piece rods for boat

Edge

FNG
Well, Called up Toadfish (I hate even typing that) and canceled the 7’2 order for the Med or Med Heavy. Ordered the 6’8” Med or Med Light. Going to make it an Alaska then dedicated truck rod. $180 all said and done ain’t cheap, but it creates 4 rod options with hard tube. I have enough quality 1 piece rods for boat
if you change your mind, I’ve had good luck with the Fenwick HMG travel rods with two different tip sections. If you want to take a hands on look, let me know as we are both in NW Florida.

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t wait to hear more about this. I have a bass pro microlite setup for backpack fishing but it is very specific to small stream/lake trout.

This looks very versatile for the price and would be great for traveling.

OP
P
Well it showed up today. Really happy that I went there medium-light / medium combo at 6’8 as opposed to the medium / medium-heavy five piece combo at 7’2.

It’s nice. Rod tube sturdy for sure but heavy. Butt section of rod a touch heavy. Action on the two combinations I tried very nice. Both with medium light midsection. Pictures of moderate fast tip.

This lighter rod has plenty of ass. The v bigger one would have been over kill for sure.

4593C30C-DAE2-43AC-A450-A30B71D53DF5.jpegFB685A55-8149-482F-A26D-909705565F11.jpeg40489D56-F865-433D-AB45-EAF30EE8B527.jpeg89E20B8E-F0E6-4D94-A8AC-84E71A312A3F.jpegDAB80493-180E-46B7-B493-73F045B7D488.jpegB6ED3A33-C7E3-438F-A6F2-3550400CC815.jpeg

Attachments

• 0650C3D7-9B79-43E0-B546-F718F3091D06.jpeg
    0650C3D7-9B79-43E0-B546-F718F3091D06.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 18

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well it showed up today. Really happy that I went there medium-light / medium combo at 6’8 as opposed to the medium / medium-heavy five piece combo at 7’2.

It’s nice. Rod tube sturdy for sure but heavy. Butt section of rod a touch heavy. Action on the two combinations I tried very nice. Both with medium light midsection. Pictures of moderate fast tip.

This lighter rod has plenty of ass. The v bigger one would have been over kill for sure.

View attachment 381598View attachment 381599View attachment 381600View attachment 381601View attachment 381603View attachment 381604

So you like it? Recommend it?

OP
P
So you like it? Recommend it?

Like it well enough. Recommend? Like to see how it casts first. Imagine I’ll recommend. Butt section a bit heavy. Packaging seems over the top. Felt like i was unboxing a new luxury watch. I’d kinda rather see that money spent on rod components but i get it…. That kinda stuff appeals to the masses. Anyway, no complaints, just a few head scratchers and the color scheme plain awful.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hahaha yeah I can see that!

In fact, the one guy I know who is into it is a tote hipster and he is severely limited by his chhcoice in tackle. He always talks about how “pure” it is but he dosent catch shit. It’s a good thing his girlfriend is a liberal hippy because when we all go out, he’s the only one not getting fish. That would be embarrassing.

Tenkara is like fishing....only for bitches.
I identify as a bitch and don’t care about it as I have fun catching fish in mainly hard to get to back country tributaries many people haven’t fished in the lower 48 since the gold rush!

Guess I better go out and say I eat fungi, must of voted for Biden and must smoke a lot of weed with hipsters being associated with Tenkara fishing.

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
I have a TFO 7’ travel rod that I am very pleased with. Have used it for inshore and near shore ocean fishing and I prefer it over the Fenwick HMG rod with 2 tip sections.

Only down side is you have to purchase a rod tube separate.

LilBit

FNG
Interested in Tenkara USA? https://tenkarausa.com/
Tenkara is a Japanese way of fishing with no reel! Seems like fun and there's a guy on youtube called TenkaraAddict who fish all over the rockies.
I got the dragontail shadowfire for a pack rod. I use it to chase small mouths, large mouths, and pan fish around Indy. Kind of sucks in tight creeks, though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I identify as a bitch and don’t care about it as I have fun catching fish in mainly hard to get to back country tributaries many people haven’t fished in the lower 48 since the gold rush!

Guess I better go out and say I eat fungi, must of voted for Biden and must smoke a lot of weed with hipsters being associated with Tenkara fishing.

Annnnnd it’s not possible to get to those places with a 4 piece fly rod or another take down fishing rod?