Travel rod suggestions?

Coastie6

FNG
I have several St. Croix Triumph Series 4 piece rods, both spinning and casting. For the money, they can't be beat and St. Croix is a real American rod company. Note, the Triumph series are their base level rods which are manufactured to their specifications in Mexico. But, their price reflects this. I have some of their U.S. manufactured rods too but the prices are 2-4+ times the cost. In my opinion, for your use the Triumph rods are worth a look and they are far better than the stowaway you were looking at. Here's a link to their spinning offerings in 4 piece

OP
P
I have several St. Croix Triumph Series 4 piece rods, both spinning and casting. For the money, they can't be beat and St. Croix is a real American rod company. Note, the Triumph series are their base level rods which are manufactured to their specifications in Mexico. But, their price reflects this. I have some of their U.S. manufactured rods too but the prices are 2-4+ times the cost. In my opinion, for your use the Triumph rods are worth a look and they are far better than the stowaway you were looking at. Here's a link to their spinning offerings in 4 piece
Lil late now. The ugly rod is on its way. You ever used one? I’ll let you know what I think of it once have my hands on it.

OP
P
Any light rod will work just fine for anything on a moose hunt. The cheaper the rod the better, you’ll be focused on hunting and don’t want to have to worry about a nice rod getting broken. I say that cause I was in that same predicament before and just decided to go with an el cheapo Shakespeare for 30$ or something like that. I fish with expensive rods and reels when I’m on a fishing trip and it was a bit of a shock at first but was glad I didn’t spend the coin and not have to worry about throwing a fishing pole around while I’m camping and hunting.
I hear ya. I figured it would just stay in tube until we need a little break one day. It’s a drop camp so a little less likely to break than float. Besides, at THIS point it’s gotten way too easy to justify an extra $100 here and there. Sadly enough.

I grew up living and trout guiding on a rugged river, with lots of elevation changes and rock pools. So that colors my experience.

I personally prefer a retractable rod. This is especially useful when bouldering up to the next pool. I think it would be very useful along brushy lakes and rivers if you are moving a lot. Just so easy to retract, reposition, extend, and cast.

The latest rod I'm using is a Quantum Embark Telescopic. Lightweight and inexpensive. Perfect size for small fish (6-20 pound test).

Coastie6

FNG
Lil late now. The ugly rod is on its way. You ever used one? I’ll let you know what I think of it once have my hands on it.
Yep, used a lot of Ugly Stik rod in saltwater and for trolling A-rigs for stripers on Lake Texoma. I also keep a few of the ultralight Uglys on our dock for bang around crappie rods. While not as sensitive feeling as the St Croix, they are indestructible.

OP
P
Yep, used a lot of Ugly Stik rod in saltwater and for trolling A-rigs for stripers on Lake Texoma. I also keep a few of the ultralight Uglys on our dock for bang around crappie rods. While not as sensitive feeling as the St Croix, they are indestructible.
Ugly rod as in the toad fish which is certifiably ugly.

OP
P
Well it showed up today. Really happy that I went there medium-light / medium combo at 6’8 as opposed to the medium / medium-heavy five piece combo at 7’2.

It’s nice. Rod tube sturdy for sure but heavy. Butt section of rod a touch heavy. Action on the two combinations I tried very nice. Both with medium light midsection. Pictures of moderate fast tip.

This lighter rod has plenty of ass. The v bigger one would have been over kill for sure.

119D4E51-9BB2-47DE-8132-E3913F573467.jpegBEC3AEED-B30F-42A7-B68A-0C8398ADE4F5.jpeg93840898-8E54-4772-A51C-184C0CF4692C.jpegD2CCEF97-E034-4091-A000-EC808EF1AB21.jpegABC2296D-E309-4622-A449-9D8D8802A84D.jpeg527F16AA-6082-43A4-93E4-0C983EE94A11.jpeg

OP
P
Like the rod. Put a semi disposable Diawa 3000 on it with 15 pound suffix braid. Was able to cast a 1/8 rooster tail 60 feet into a little bit of headwind. Not bad!

I like the rod. Amazing how things change once you put a reel on it and the appropriate line