Barbers

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Luckily I live in a military town, so getting a decent military cut should be pretty easy. But the key there is "decent". Not all are capable of giving a decent cut. So I've had the same lady cutting my hair for the past 18 years. I have clippers as well so I can prolong the amount of time between cuts........until I really need to go in. But I keep my hair quite a bit shorter now than I ever did in the military.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Ever since SuperCuts hit the $12/cut mark, I've been DIY cutting. Well over a decade at this point. Could not fathom sitting and waiting 30 mins for a 3-minute cut and then getting to pay out $12.

#2 on the Wahl for the win; trimmers were under $40 on sale at the time and I have never had an issue with them. Rock solid.

To the original question: yes; way out of hand! Have you tried the local community college or cosmetology training places - years ago that was an option. Bishops around here buzz a head for about $20 I believe.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
My mommy cuts mine! Seriously. I grew up with a hairdresser mom who owned her own shop. When she sold the shop and retired, dad installed a sink, chair, mirror setup in the utilty room of their house. I turn 56 in a few days and have yet to ever spend a dime on a haircut. In college, I'd just let it grow until a visit back home.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

dwils233

FNG
Huh, I must be an outlier. My hair cut is expensive and with a hipster barber shop. I spend 50 dollars every 7 weeks and don't think twice about it.

In addition to the cut, I get a beard trim. But my barber and I have known each other for nearly ten years. He's now a good friend and one of the most insightful folks I know. I consider it the closest thing I do to therapy, and it's pretty cheap comparative to a psychologist to talk about my life and get good advice.

Last edited:
Huh, I must be an outlier. My hair cut is expensive and with a hipster barber shop. I spend 50 dollars every 7 weeks and don't think twice about it.

In addition to the cut, I get a beard trim. But my barber and I have known each other for nearly ten years. He's now a good friend and one of the most insightful folks I know. I consider it the closest thing I do to therapy, and it's pretty cheap comparative to a psychologist to talk about my life and get good advice.
I'm with you. There is something to be said about a straight razor shave and someone with the skills to be good at it. Something to teach your sons: Always shake your barbers hand and tip with cash.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've tried talking my barber into hiring a masseuse as well for neck, shoulder, and upper back massages for a package deal. They'd make a killing, and I'd be getting a hair cut and massage at least once a month.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I officially wrote off barbers when I was charged $37.00 with tip couple months ago with nothing under $25.00 in town. Bought a new set of Wahl clippers and I'm learning to do my own. Not looking to bad at least that's what my wife says and she doesn't have to cut it. My hair is thick so if I don't cut it it looks like a chiapet plant...

SWOHTR

WKR
Luckily I live in a military town, so getting a decent military cut should be pretty easy. But the key there is "decent". Not all are capable of giving a decent cut. So I've had the same lady cutting my hair for the past 18 years. I have clippers as well so I can prolong the amount of time between cuts........until I really need to go in. But I keep my hair quite a bit shorter now than I ever did in the military.
Things I’ve learned:

The difference between a “good” and “bad” military haircut is 7 days.

I keep my hair quite a bit shorter now because I’ve lost most of it

mi650

WKR
I bought a pair of Wahl clippers on Amazon for $40. I put the #2 guard on it, and my Wife cuts my hair. Hair is all the same length, so no fancy snipping here and there. Paid for themselves the second time we used them, and that was about three years ago. 70 years old, and most of it fell out anyway. I don't look as bald when it is short, when it's longer it looks thin and patchy and not so nice.
I bought a set of clippers at the PX in basic training. Got them back to the barracks and at a buck a haircut, had them paid for in an hour! Barbers on post charged $1.90. That lasted about 2 weeks, before my drill sergeant found out. :poop:

These days, I mostly do it myself with clippers, go over my head with a #8, then my wife finishes it up for me.

I haven’t paid for a haircut since 1996! Started cutting it pretty short at that time and by 1998 I was buzzing it down with no guard on the clippers. Now I use some kind of 4 head electric skull shaver my wife bought me. I use it about every 2-3 days for about 5 minutes. Looks like a razor shave. I lost all the hair on top of my head around 1998.

zacattack

WKR
See if there’s a cosmetology or hair cutting school nearby. It’s usually cheap, you won’t get butchered most of the time.

Zach75

FNG
I’m 31 and have had the same barber my whole life, I’m afraid I’ll be in the same boat when he retires.

There was a time in my life when I got a haircut ever 3-w weeks. Those days are long gone now. I probably get 2 barber cuts a year, the other time I buzz it off with some clippers and a guard on the back porch. I try and time the barber cuts right before any special events, family gatherings, holidays etc. My barber is good friend of mine, our kids are the same age, go to school together, play sports together. He completely understands. You can go to his place on Saturday morning and there's a line waiting for over two hours plus to get in a chair. He just smiles at the line of people waiting to hand over the cash to him.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The difference between a “good” and “bad” military haircut is 7 days.

I keep my hair quite a bit shorter now because I’ve lost most of it
Funny thing is.......I never had a "military" haircut the whole time I was in the military.....except at OCS. Now that's all I get. Of course my blonde hair started turning pure white about 10 years ago, so it was easier to keep it less white when it's short. But now it's still "white" even short. I keep asking my wife if they make hair dye that actually makes white hair blonde again.......LOL. I also have a weird cowlick right on the crown of my head, and the hair just doesn't cooperate there. So short is better, but I would never attempt to cut that area on my own.

KsRancher

WKR
I haven’t paid for a haircut since 1996! Started cutting it pretty short at that time and by 1998 I was buzzing it down with no guard on the clippers. Now I use some kind of 4 head electric skull shaver my wife bought me. I use it about every 2-3 days for about 5 minutes. Looks like a razor shave. I lost all the hair on top of my head around 1998.
If you get a chance. Do you mind posting what brand/model your shaver is?

I have an old school barber. Like red white blue swirly tube outside the shop kinda place. He has been cutting my hair since 2005, cuts my boy's too. They just recently replaced their black and white TV with real color! It's $25 for a haircut, which is higher than the SportClips kinda places but worth it. A lot of parents take kids to cheapie kids places but I like my boy to see how a barber shop is.