Barbers

7mm-08

WKR
Wahl clippers and a patient, caring person who is willing to learn is the key. We bought clippers from Costco 20 years ago and I haven't paid for a haircut since 1987.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
I have an old school barber. Like red white blue swirly tube outside the shop kinda place. He has been cutting my hair since 2005, cuts my boy's too. They just recently replaced their black and white TV with real color! It's $25 for a haircut, which is higher than the SportClips kinda places but worth it. A lot of parents take kids to cheapie kids places but I like my boy to see how a barber shop is.

100%. i can still remember Mr. Clatterbuck in Warrenton Va that I used to go to in the late 70s/early 80s. The white coat, heavy watch, bracelet on the wrist, the coldness of the red leather on the chair, the flippable footrest, his white hair, and the smell of tonic. The care he took putting the finishing touches on a fine cut was as great as I would imagine any chef would take finishing a dish.

I get maybe some of the new barbershops are trying to revive that - but Mr. Clatterbuck and his ilk are incomparable.

mi650

WKR
Luckily I live in a military town, so getting a decent military cut should be pretty easy. But the key there is "decent". Not all are capable of giving a decent cut. So I've had the same lady cutting my hair for the past 18 years. I have clippers as well so I can prolong the amount of time between cuts........until I really need to go in. But I keep my hair quite a bit shorter now than I ever did in the military.
When my grandmother died, we went back to my hometown for the funeral. My son needed a haircut so I took him to the barber in town, same place I got my 1st haircut and many others after.

Not sure why, but my son wanted a high and tight. Barber looked at me and said, "You know I'm a Marine, right? I give a real high and tight." Told him I hadn't had 1 since jump school, and asked my son if he knew what he was getting. He said he was sure. He's never gotten one since!!

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I had a great barber in so cal. Was like $50 every 4-6 weeks and the cut and straight razor shave was always top notch. Now that I’m in Northern Colorado it’s been hard for me to find someone who does both. I had one but they butchered my beard so bad I just went home and trimmed it down to a 2 and called it good. They grow back so it’s not that big of a deal but I’ll never go back. Still on the hunt for a good cut and straight razor shave for a decent price. I can straight razor myself but I like the pros to shape my beard and I will maintain it for a while.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
When I was a kid my mom took my brothers and I to Dave’s Barber Shop. It was cool as hell. It was in a small town and people filtered in and out constantly with gossip. More news traveled through that building than the local papers. Dave would hear everything and never offer an opinion on any of it. Like how bartenders are supposed to be. And when your hair cut was done he would do the shaving with hot cream and a straight razor. It was a neat thing to experience. On your way out he would give kids a tootsie pop.

100%. i can still remember Mr. Clatterbuck in Warrenton Va that I used to go to in the late 70s/early 80s. The white coat, heavy watch, bracelet on the wrist, the coldness of the red leather on the chair, the flippable footrest, his white hair, and the smell of tonic. The care he took putting the finishing touches on a fine cut was as great as I would imagine any chef would take finishing a dish.

I get maybe some of the new barbershops are trying to revive that - but Mr. Clatterbuck and his ilk are incomparable.

I like the eye contact, the handshakes, asking about each other's families, joking around about sports rivalries (friendly shit talking). With regard to sports, I like my son to see men disagreeing with each other, sometimes passionately, but able to remain friendly and respectful. If you think about it a boy doesn't get to see scenarios like that too often.

Pokerface

FNG
Like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino barber shop scene.

I have been getting mine cut by local guy for over 30 years , he is getting old. Rate has gone up to $20 which is not bad. Don't know what I will do when he is gone.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
I like the eye contact, the handshakes, asking about each other's families, joking around about sports rivalries (friendly shit talking). With regard to sports, I like my son to see men disagreeing with each other, sometimes passionately, but able to remain friendly and respectful. If you think about it a boy doesn't get to see scenarios like that too often.

A good point. I was talking with a friend a while back about how my wife and I didnt hide our disagreements from our kid. Our kid got to watch us disagree, come to a compromise/resolution, and then go about our day. I think taking a perfect relationship does not help in the long run.

CorbLand

WKR
A good point. I was talking with a friend a while back about how my wife and I didnt hide our disagreements from our kid. Our kid got to watch us disagree, come to a compromise/resolution, and then go about our day. I think taking a perfect relationship does not help in the long run.
Little off topic but I grew up in a single parent household and never got to see my parents work through things. It was scary when I got married to not have that background. Good on you guys that don’t hide it from your kids.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Am I just old now or is the Barber thing getting out of hand? I mean I'm trying to find my 82 yo dad a cut here in Boise and all I see are reservations, fancy cuts, tattoos, ear plugs, $50 trims and pomade... my dad needs none of it. help an old brother out.
Pretty good place in Eagle I would use when I visited my wife in Horseshoe. I’m with you I refuse to make an appointment even if I have to wait for three people in front of me.

SWOHTR

WKR
Funny thing is.......I never had a "military" haircut the whole time I was in the military.....except at OCS. Now that's all I get. Of course my blonde hair started turning pure white about 10 years ago, so it was easier to keep it less white when it's short. But now it's still "white" even short. I keep asking my wife if they make hair dye that actually makes white hair blonde again.......LOL. I also have a weird cowlick right on the crown of my head, and the hair just doesn't cooperate there. So short is better, but I would never attempt to cut that area on my own.
This sounds like the direction my hair is heading. Cow lick and all.

Scrappy

WKR
I stopped going to a barber when he tried to charge me eight bucks for a haircut. Ya I've been cutting my own for a very long time.

Had a great barber back in high-school that was like a hundred years old. Funniest thing was after he cut your hair and before he took your money he would put on his glasses. He was blind as a bat.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
I'm fortunate to have an old barbershop close. It seems like every time I go they have Walker, Texas Ranger on the TV and gun or hunting magazines in the rack.

We had a pretty good barber growing up, his certificate was from the department of corrections, after a few years he had some kind of legal issues and had to skip town, the next decade we went through a few guys that would start out strong then flake out for one reason or another.
Currently I've got a really good guy that likes to talk hunting, my wife does it about half the time when I just need to get it hacked off, but when I need to be presentable I look forward to going in just to talk deer hunting. I think he's $20 these days and I kick him a tip. I don't even want to think about having to try to find another barber in the area if he decides to quit at some point.