Bear hunt in two weeks & no pack

sndmn11

WKR
This was my hope.

Unfortunately after working on kifaru insiders for a couple weeks and coming here, we are cutting it very close and Im apparently not allowed to post in the classifieds. I really dont want to buy something I dont need - Im on a budget but still in the "buy once, cry once" camp.

I'm going to need a frame no matter what, but getting one in those specifications has been hard. One did sell here three weeks ago that would have been perfect.

Rmsgear has some in stock on the wall.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I started big game hunting over 40 years ago, we just carried quarters out on our shoulders. And that was in the CO mountains for miles. I've carried elk heads with the antlers and cape attached out on my shoulders wearing my daypack, for the first trip out even in recent years. Is it easier with a frame pack.......sure. But you do what you gotta do, with what you do have.

It IS Wisconsin. But theres no way you are getting a sled to where the bait is.

So dense if you were 75' feet from the bait you wouldnt be able to see any part of it. The "trail" I use to get to this area is about a mile and is more down trees than path. Dragging it out of here isnt happening.

Wisconsin has a bait limit of 10 gallons. So I take in two five gallon buckets (not full to the top) and I fill up a Kifaru Eastern Ruck with groundfall apples and trail mix and pack it in. Not much fun - but have seen a few shooters at least.

This is my first bear hunt - and I've been judging bears based off of shoulder height.
Get a couple buddies to help drag it out. I help with bears every year and it just takes some good rope and help to get them out. Pulling over logs is not that bad (try one leg at a time and roll it) If it’s that thick is having 50-80 lbs on your back going to make it easier to walk? Just asking and good luck. Post a picture if you get one.

Last edited:

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Go to army surplus Get alice pack and frame. Suck it up. Then, use it as a reason to prepared in the future.